Content, Questions & Ideas for engl. DVBViewer Wiki

Devastation

Kuni and I decided to start a initative for filling the english DVBViewer Wiki with content.

We cant do this all alone! So we will need all help you can give us.

If we stay alone be sure the wiki will not grow very fast!

What can you do?:

- you can write new articles

- you can edit, correct, complete existing articles

- you can do translating from existing german Wiki articles (translations must not be perfect.)

- none must do a page completley alone, every little step helps.

Here are an overview of all german wikipages: http://de.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Spezial:Alle_Seiten

Here are an overview of all english wikipages: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Special:AllPages

If you have problems with writing in the wiki or whatever, you may asking here for help.

How to add a new page?

open a page e.g http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Special:AllPages

delete in the addressline of you browser all after http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/

and add there the name you like for your page: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Recording_Serv...tallation_Guide then press enter

klick on the create Tab. Done.

Edited by Devastation

The Recording Service Installation Guide is online.

It needs following tasks to be done:

1. checking for correct english
  2. making and uploading new image for section Installation (please name the image "Configuration_starting_RecService.png" before uploading.
  3. After uploading edit the line [[image:Configuration_starten_RecService.png|none|framed|(german pic by now, hope english will follow)]] to [[image:Configuration_starting_RecService.png]]
  4. Do the same in section disable Hardware, name the image DVBViewerPro-Options-Hardware.png.
  5. After uploading edit the line [[image:DVBViewerPro-Optionen-Hardware.png|thumb|250px|(German pic by now, hope english will follow)]] to [[image:DVBViewerPro-Options-Hardware.png|thumb|250px]]
  6. Do the same in section DVBViewer Recording Service Settings for the 3 images. Give the images you upload other names and edit the image tags as bevore.
  7. The chapter Special Requests still have to be translated.

The pages of the RecordingService Webinterface are online.

Following things have to be done:

1. Page Timer maybe a image with english channels timers would be more convenient.
  2. Page Programs a image with english channels would be more convenient.
  3. Page TVGuide a image with english channels would be more convenient.
  4. Page Timeline a image with english channels would be more convenient.

Edited by Devastation
Done some minor corrections to the 4 new pages

Sorry Guys, I've been busy, will attack this shortly..

Currently changing some syntax and punctuation in the Recording Service Installation guide.

Edited by Kuni

for the Recording Service Installation Guide I inserted in the german wiki good links to a guide for this:

A fixed/static IP address (as opposed to dynamic) for the PC where Recording Service will be installed, is advisable

this are the german links:

http://www.doktor-dsl.de/microsoft-windows...sse-einrichten/

http://www.doktor-dsl.de/microsoft-windows...sse-einrichten/

If someone could point me to links for a equal english guide.

Maybe my english google search was not exactly enough, I didnt found equal ones. :wacko:

• 2 months later...

The error is in radiotimes xmltv data which is the source for my EPG in DVBViewer, they tend to have minor errors in listings over 7 days in advanced, updating the latest list radiotimes have update this name.

It does demostrate how difficult doing things like series linking could be, only as good as the epg data being supplied, but can't complain as it's excellent that radiotimes are happy to provide 14day listings for free

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.

"eastetichal"
What the hell??? :biggrin:

what are the advantages for Wiki logged users?

In the earlier times of the wiki (speaking of months not years o:) ) only logged users could edit the pages.

This has changed so there is no need for login now. For unlogged users the IP will be stored.

Edited by Devastation
"eastetichal"

What the hell???

Ehem, "aesthetical"...o:) in the rush my fingers danced "tip-tap"...

there is no need for login now. For unlogged users the IP will be stored
I already read it in the Wiki, but be aware that my IP change every time I restart my ADSL... :biggrin:

...out of the joke and only for my curiosity: why that choice? :bye:

;)

aesthetical
Know what ist what's the best(pick of the bunch)? With google i found "eastetich" but no explenation. In combination with the text I am now sure that was the same "tip tap"
why that choice?
With the implementation of a new wiki software (afaik) it was no longer necessary to login. The hope is that with no logon-restraint there will be more users help to fill the wiki. Some of the logged users can have higher access-rights (e.g. I can check the changes you made and accept and save it for the edited page, -sighting?-) Edited by Devastation
Some of the logged users can have higher access-rights
You do not need to enter a CAPTCHA on each edit
Tanks... IMO it's odd that there's any explanation about that...

Know what ist best?
not likely (english isn't my mother tongue), but seems a common mistake: Aesthetic or Aesthetical?...

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...
If please someone proofread:

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Multiuser_mode

made a lot of corrections, hope I didn't spoil the page :angry: please someone review. Mostly, I removed "germanisms" such as "multiuser" or "recordingservice". These words should be written separately.

only logged users could edit the pages. This has changed so there is no need for login now.

the, is there a reason why I cannot edit this page? It should be added there that DVBServer is also available as part of DVBViewer itself, not only as part of Recording service

Edited by ml 05019
  • 3 months later...

a late answer

is there a reason why I cannot edit this page?
No.

It should be added there that DVBServer is also available as part of DVBViewer itself
Hm, maybe. But this page is especially for the Recording Service options page "DVBServer". So in this coherence its correct. But there should be a extra page for the DVBServer with DVBViewer. In german there is.
And a new page for for proofreading.

Not that this thread will zonk out.

:)

Very nice, nothing to really add, just a minor point: the title in the screenshot says "Algemein...." (german).

Attached is a screenshot fully in english. (i'm probably completely stupid but i couldnt figure out how to change it directly in the page).

post-35319-1271185766_thumb.png

Edited by amontillado
Very nice, nothing to really add

the title in the screenshot says "Algemein...."
ah, yes. I should have restarted the Viewer than its ok.

Two more pages

the options overview (a little one)

and

Options Appearance, here maybe in the section Menu Style someone could add some pics in english. Now I have inserted the german ones. So please dont overwrite them - they are needed in the german wiki.

If uploading new ones use the names menu... instead of menü and edit the filenames afterward in the page.

menu--.png

menu-DVBViewer.png

menu-Vista.png

Edited by Devastation

If only everything in life would be so simple

(then I wouldn't be looking up into a clear blue sky for three days on a boring airport ;) )

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Wiki is nice idea that helps a lot about some obscure settings...

Unfortunatly, nothing about remote control support

Edited by trifon33
  • 1 year later...

thanks OK I finished the editing also saw an untranslated bit and changed that too... well will do as I can when I see something...