Technisat Skystar S2

Przemek211

Griga gave a link with explanation. In simple words: Driving a motor may burn Skystar S2. If the motor is stuck chance to burn SS-S2 raises up to 100% Do you still want to use third party plugin?

It may burn, but probably won't. I don't know, what is the difference between this card and all others that don't have an extra molex (like Skystar HD2 has), and despite this lack they drive motors? I believe minimum to none. I was driving my SG2100 with a Skystar 2 for almost 5 years and never had a slightest problem with it (still works), before I bought a Skystar HD2. I also tried the Skystar S2 with the same motor, no problem whatsoever. It is nice to be cautious, but sometimes it is nicer to use your equipment more efficiently, than it was primarily designed.

I knew that WDM drivers work with the old Skystar 2 but I didn't know that I can use WDM with Skystar S2.

Discontinuities every few seconds. With every channel (SDTV and HDTV), tested in different PCs. Windows7/64Bit and Windows XP. Is there a WDM driver for Windows 7/64?

As far as I know, there is not. Anyway, as I have already written I also had discontinuities with my card several months ago, somewhere between April and May soon after I bought a new HD5770. I was using XP at the time, and didn't know what was causing the problem, although it was obvious that it was related with the graphics card and its drivers. Later I tried it with Windows 7 64bit. With the EVR renderer I had no discontinuities, and I think the problem was solved later with newer Catalyst drivers. At this moment there are no discontinuities here, either in Windows 7 or XP.

Edited by strs65
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrey123456

• Griga

• Przemek211

• Derrick

It may burn, but probably won't. I don't know, what is the difference between this card and all others

The lack of an automatic current limiting protecting your hardware. E.g. the aforementioned SkyStar USB HD switches the power supply off if the motor consumes more than 450 mA. The SkyStar 2/S2 doesn't. It may burn the whole mainboard (already happened!) Always keep in mind that your PC - in contrast to STBs - doesn't have a dedicated power supply for outdoor satellite equipment.

Usually people don't believe it unless the PC gets barbecued... :rolleyes:

The lack of an automatic current limiting protecting your hardware. E.g. the aforementioned SkyStar USB HD switches the power supply off if the motor consumes more than 450 mA. The SkyStar 2/S2 doesn't. It may burn the whole mainboard (already happened!) Always keep in mind that your PC - in contrast to STBs - doesn't have a dedicated power supply for outdoor satellite equipment.

Usually people don't believe it unless the PC gets barbecued... :rolleyes:

My PC has already been barbequed by lightning two years ago, through my adsl router and the telephone line (which also burned!). Now, if something is to go wrong, it will (murphy's law :D ), one more - one less problem, life goes on... :)

Btw (rhetorical question), why is it so difficult to Technisat to add this current protection on their new cards? Ok, maybe some years ago it wasn't a priority, but why not now, I can't believe this will raise the cost too much! :P

Edited by strs65
why is it so difficult to Technisat to add this current protection on their new cards?

They did it on the SkyStar USB HD, as already mentioned. The Skystar S2 is still (partially) based on the old SkyStar2 design, thus inheriting the DiSEqC and bandwidth limitations - that's why it is quite cheap compared with other DVB-S2 cards. Low development costs, you know...it is mainly supposed to be a card for data applications (internet via satellite, also using DVB-S2), as you can see here. It can be used for TV as well, but if you do you have to live with the limitations.

TechniSat states clearly that the SkyStar S2 only supports DiSEqC 1.0. It's your fault if you buy something that is not specified for what you want.

• 5 months later...

Please help me to decide what to buy :blush:

Iam using Skystar 2 for 2-3 years, but now I whant to watch DVB-S2 tp. so I need to decide what to buy Skystar S2 or Skystar HD2, problem is because I use STI SG2100 motor and MiBi plugin for moving it. This is plugin on picture Iam shure you will recognize it.

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/6167/screenshot001am.jpg

So as I understand if I buy SS S2 it can drive motor with "SS2DiSeqC" plugin but it can burn card, and because I am totaly happy with this plugin and I would rather give 20-30€ more for SS HD2 being shure that it will not overheat.

So my question is:

Does Skystar HD2 move motor with "MiBi" SS2DiSeqC plugin, or I must use some other plugin?

Is skystar HD2 safe from burning?

Thank you in advance for answering :rolleyes:

Does Skystar HD2 move motor

It does. Without any plugin. It is designed for DiSEqC 1.2. However, the hardware design is completely different (compared to the SkyStar 2). Actually it is a relabeled AzureWave device. DiSEqC support by the drivers didn't prove to be very reliable in the past, and some users reported unsolvable problems with certain mainboards (particularly discontinuities in the delivered data stream). So you will have to try...

The SkyStar S2 is not suitable for DiSEqC 1.2, and I wouldn't use it for driving a motor. But you may want to have a look at the SkyStar USB HD. It is based on an advanced SkyStar 2 design, supports DiSEqC 1.2 with DVBViewer and the WDM (Network) driver and tolerates up to 400 mA power consumption by the motor. If the motor consumes more, the device automatically switches the power supply off to protect itself.

However, there is one major drawback: For some reason the SkyStar USB HD tuner needs up to 20 seconds to lock on certain frequencies. TechniSat is aware of the problem and has promised to fix it in the next driver version, but I had no opportunity to test it yet and I don't know when it will be released. Apart from that the SkyStar USB HD made a good impression here.

• 6 months later...

Hi. I have this Skystar S2 card and it works flawlessy. It is connected to cascade switch with own power supply, and its all ok.

As I see, this card only support diseqc 1.0 (4 lnbs max.). Is there any chance to connect this card to switch for 8 lnbs. Guess it should work with diseqc 1.1, but this card can't support that or what?

Is there any way to make it work, because someone said he managed to drove motor with this card.

There is no fear for burning eqipment because it is a switch, not a motor who have chance to stuck.

Thanks.

Guess it should work with diseqc 1.1, but this card can't support that or what?

DVBViewer and TransEdit are explicitely supporting DiSEqC 1.1 with the SkyStar S2 and WDM/Network driver. However, I'm not sure about cascaded switches requiring a command sequence. AFAIK nobody has tried it up to now...

This 8/1 diseqc switch has dip switch setting and it can work in 4 modes: Diseqc 1.0, Diseqc 1.1, Diseqc 1.0 + 1.1, and diseqc 1.2

Looks like no combination of diseqc 1.1 command (uncommited) in DVBViewer work when switch in 1.1 mode. And there is no signal for all 8 lnbs.

When I set switch to work in diseqc 1.0 mode, it works but again it is not perfect. It only connects two lnbs (other two signal unstable and vary, from 18 to 80% and no picture)

Is there anyone who managed to make work this card with diseqc switches 4/1 or 8/1?

I set diseqc switch (emp centauri 9/1) to diseqc 1.0 mode (first 4 lnbs only work). With that setting i managed to get signal from lnb3 and lnb4 and they are set as PosA/OptB and PosB/OptB in DVBViewer. First two LNBs (PosA/OptA and PosB/OptA) have no signal at all. And if i want to switch from lnb3 to lnb4, changing corresponding channel is not enough. I must exit DVBViewer leaving channel on lnb4, and on restart it switches to lnb4 and signal is there.

My os is Windows 7 x64, my card is skystar s2 with 4.6.0 drivers

Cpu is Intel i3 2100, 4gigs of RAM, Intel HD graphics with latest driver, no additional codecs installed.

Is there any chance to make my card sends diseqc 1.1 uncommitted commands to switch. I heard skystar s2 only support diseqc 1.0

Sorry for my bad english Griga.

support.zip

Is it possible that WDM 4.6 driver is not sending diseqc 1.1 commands?

At least DVBViewer tries to send them. DVBViewer blocks DiSEqC 1.2 motor commands, because the LNB power supply of the card is not suitable for a motor and TechniSat wanted it this way. But I could confirm that Unicable DiSEqC commands, which are not covered by DiSEqC 1.0, work with driver 4.6 and the SkyStar S2. So I don't think that DiSEqC 1.1 commands are explicitely disabled in the driver. Must be somthing else - and without a DiSEqC monitor it's hard to pinpoint.

Let me have a look at your DiSEqC.xml file (located in the configuration folder). Maybe I can see something there...

Well, I did some progress. Reason why switch didnt right received diseqc command was terrestrial input. When I unplugged F-connector from Ter-input it worked, but no 100%.

Think I have problem with length of my cable between SS S2 and switch, which is arond 50 meters. Looks like there is no enough power for switch and lnb together, because of voltage drop think.

On some receivers i saw an option to increase voltage (probably +1V) to compensate voltage drop, and is there any chance for Skystar cards to be capable of increasing voltage?

is there any chance for Skystar cards to be capable of increasing voltage?

No such interface ;) AFAIK only Hauppauge cards are capable of that. See here. BTW: The SkyStar S2 does not provide DCL, so better don't overstrain the LNB power supply...

• 4 years later...

Hi. I know this is old topic but I really need help. I had bought Skystar S2. I had installed WDM 4.5.1 from cd. Many TP from 19.2 have very weak signal. I get no picture. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. When I install my old Pinnacle BDA card signal is good. What am I doing wrong?