Positioner Console re-calculate command

QBox User

Sometimes my dish motor gets a little confused and loses its bearings. Even if it's only a degree or so out, that is enough to lose reception on many satellites.

Other receivers have implemented the DiSEqC "re-calculate" command (0x6F) for such cases. (It's only recommended, not mandatory for 1.2.) The user moves the dish using "Go East" and "Go West" commands until the signal is optimised, then uses "re-calculate", instructing the motor to apply the correction for all stored satellites. On my set-up, I need to either (a) re-connect an external receiver or (B) stop DVBViewer/TransEdit (to free up the tuner) and load another application. Either method can lead to problems needing a PC re-boot. (SmartDVB's console works, but is prone to freezing on my system.)

TransEdit's console lets me move the dish and view signal quality (through the separate Analyzer window), but it can't tell the motor when to re-calculate positions. Life would be easier if it supported this feature, either by a separate button (and maybe an "Are you sure?" warning) or else just a facility to send a "Raw" command.

This is a great idea! I have similar problems to you with my setup.

In fact I'm running my Vbox in manual at the moment as when my HTPC booted up it would send the dish into its end stops! VERY VERY BAD for my dish motor!

I must reconnect and see if things have improved :-)

I thought about the dummy, but could see no way to enter the raw command. For the "Positioner" address, the only available commands are "Preset position" and "Angular position". Is there a hidden option?

Edited by QBox User

..hmm, I thought you could enter any raw command. I'm not familiar with diseqc motors. I'm using the real thing (actuator via positioner) ;)

Maybe @Griga could add a button to transedit or you could try altdvb. There you have the possibility to send a raw command.

Yes, AltDVB is OK, but SmartDVB already has a button on the DiSEqC console, and a signal quality indicator, but I'd prefer not to use another application as it creates conflict with the tuner.

I had to re-calculate again last night after an EPG update left the dish a little off.

Other receivers have implemented the DiSEqC "re-calculate" command (0x6F) for such cases. (It's only recommended, not mandatory for 1.2.)

I can add such a button & command in the next TransEdit release. Is 6F 00 sufficient? From the DiSEqC 1.2 specs:

The basic command has the (first) parameter byte set to zero, i.e. command 6F 00 {00 00} which can initiate any appropriate function, defined by the manufacturer of the Positioner Motor Unit {....} It is preferred that Tuner-receiver/IRDs with Menu systems should support 3 (signed) binary parameter bytes for the “Calculate Satellite Positions” command. Again, their exact function will be defined in the documentation for the Positioner Motor Unit, but they typically may be used for, “Satellite Number”, “X-Value” (e.g. Site Longitude in degrees) and “Y-Value” (e.g. Site Latitude in degrees).

This would make the implementation more time-consuming.

My motor is a clone of the popular Moteck 2100. This is from the manual:

8. Re-synchronize / Shift:

a) Drive the motor to a position by Goto command. For example, P03.

B) Drive the motor East / West to a better position.

c) Send Re-synchronize commands to the motor. The P03 will be shifted to the new position. All the other Satellite positions are also changed.

d) If step a) is skipped. The P01 will be shifted to the new position.

This implies any position information should be sent in a previous command, not with the re-sync. At any rate, there's no mention of other parameters.

I will check this using a Raw command in AltDVB (maybe E0 31 6F 00), but it won't be until next week.

OK I made some time to test it. That raw command seems to work in AltDVB.

Edited by QBox User