Integration with XBMC PVR

Would be a lot better that DVBViewer developers look to XBMC and learn how to make a good user experience, and build this experience into DVBViewer. This would result in a (as always with DVBViewer) rock solid solution. I didn't have any crashes with DVBViewer in the last 2-3 years, despite I have installed all new versions, including Beta versions, without any backup, which is fantastic!

XBMC is crap, i cant stand it:P.

I do not know why people love XBMC and Boxee. But it's just me.

I have used DVBViewer for the last 4-5 years or so and I can easily say that it is the best DVB software out there, no doubt.

But from my experience XBMC has a gui that is solid and works really great.

Combining that with DVBViewer would be awesome.

• 1 month later...

Its the feature that XBMC needs...

which got nothing to do with the development on DVBViewer.

But...

I bought DVBViewer (and I haven't bought much software) and this is what I miss in my XBMC installation.

I doubt im the only one.

I believe this could be good business.

my 2 cents

pvr is coming in next release after xbmc 11.0 eden, it's pretty much stable in it's current pvr branch.

I would love to see integration with DVBViewer and recording service.

Edited by jakub

I dont think this is a good idea, because xbmc development is very slow. for two years they are focusing to have xbmc on tablets and smartphones and to have a lot of kitsch which doesnt work. there are so many plugins, but no plugin works as it should work. dharma or pre-eden. you never know, when xbmc will freeze on plugins.

i'm now using xbmc for all stuff, but only because it is very complicated to make DVBViewer playing all content. i should install a lot of codecs, and in crappy windows, and the codecs are conflicting with microsoft codecs. also the merrit settings are not helping for DVBViewer. also there is no possibility to have normal HD visualisation for music or radio. thats why i'm using xbmc.

xbmc is for movies and music ok. there is no audio HD bitstreaming for movies and no exclusive mode for music. so i dont unterstand why xbmc. it would be better, to make for DVBViewer new OSD engine (with some effects) and to ban microsoft codecs. it is more less to install the codecs for DVBViewer than to configure xbmc for external player (mpc-hc). for over 10 years i'm waiting for a solution i can watch tv, listen to music (audiophile mode) and watch movies with subtitle DXVA. there is on the market no software of this kind.

and i think that only DVBViewer could be such as software. DVBViewer only needs a new osd engine and better navigation. such as native neutrino CL plugin, also to have the possibility to make settings with the remote and not with the mouse. thats all...

• 2 weeks later...

The best solution would be (my dream) to provide Recording Service for Linux.

I have a desktop PC with Linux that works around the clock.

It would be great to have all the time available stream server for DVBViewers on all PC in my LAN...

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I use DVBViewer (the best 15E ever spent in software) for satellite receiveing and XBMC for movies and TV series, but I would like a plugin for the intergration of the recording service and XBMC. I know that this is not likely to happen because it requires a lot of effort. So, the other approach is to make DVBViewer look more a media center software. There are some plugins for movies or TV series but I think there is a lot of imrovement space there.

• 1 month later...

DVBViewer Recording Service doesn't work with XBMC Eden :(

There is a problem in XBMC with upnp.

XBMC Eden Beta 3 works fine with Upnp Recording Service again.

PD: you have to install the last version of Recording Service.

Edited by riviera
  • 3 weeks later...

DVBViewer is easily the best TV software out there when it comes to stability, support for devices and features. The devs are also very good at supporting their software and taking it forward when it comes to new features.

Just look at the RS, that will probably be the standard backend for the DVBViewer software in a few years. The standard DVBViewer software will only consist of a GUI with RS as backend.

Users will be able to use TV and recordings on their TV, computer, and mobile devices, with RS handling all that.

I believe DVBViewer should focus harder on a good backend like RS where they can build support, for tv-cards, features etc. and then have a good API where frontends like XBMC and DVBViewer "viewer" can communicate against.

Take XBMC for example, it has the best integration for all your media like videos, music (even a spotify plugin) and even great plugins that lets you interact with online services like IMDB and media companies that let you stream content from their portals.

So, to end this post, take a lok on the integration with XBMC and put some effort to integrate DVBViewer RS features within XBMC. Having TV and EPG would be a great start :)

/D

Yeah! XBMC Live-Tv with DVBViewer RS as backend

Yeah!!!! A rock solid Backend (RS) with a buggy Frontend (XBMC). Who in the world could do the support for this combination?

I wote for making a pressure on the DVBViewer developers, to make DVBViewer more XBMC alike. The developers do a lot of work on the internals of RS and DVBViewer (thanks for that, thats why it is so staple), but nothing on the look and feel of the product, except in the latest RS, that got a shine up in the web interface.

I would hope that Hackbard, and his friends, now would look to the user interface of DVBViewer, and integrate WAF into their future development plans. I know i can skin etc. but we need a complete integrated Media Center, with excelent support for all our media, with a stunning user interface:-)

Yeah!!!! A rock solid Backend (RS) with a buggy Frontend (XBMC). Who in the world could do the support for this combination?

Dunno where the statement of a buggy interface comes from, clearly something that you have done a survey on...

Why invent the wheel again by putting time and effort on the GUI when XBMC has all that plus plugin support and the whole kit.

Dunno where the statement of a buggy interface comes from, clearly something that you have done a survey on...

Why invent the wheel again by putting time and effort on the GUI when XBMC has all that plus plugin support and the whole kit.

Anyway, we will not succeed. It seems that The developers don't read thiS:-(

In the meantime I use XBMC and DVBViewer side by side. You can automate it with EventGhost or LM Remote Keymap. If both applications are loaded, a switch between them is done in <1 second.

So I really don't miss an integration, XMBC as media center, DVBViewer for TV.

I even have a small 7" USB Monitor on the side and can switch to SqueezePlay for playing music only.

In the meantime I use XBMC and DVBViewer side by side. You can automate it with EventGhost or LM Remote Keymap. If both applications are loaded, a switch between them is done in <1 second.

So I really don't miss an integration, XMBC as media center, DVBViewer for TV.

I even have a small 7" USB Monitor on the side and can switch to SqueezePlay for playing music only.

This solution works fine but only works on a Windows PC.

The integration with xbmc would allow use DVBViewer on devices like Apple TV, Linux pc or Mac.

I know nothing works better than the combination DVBServer (integrated into RecService) + DVBViewer client in another Win pc.

A client for other platforms would be a dream.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Would be a lot better that DVBViewer developers look to XBMC and learn how to make a good user experience, and build this experience into DVBViewer. This would result in a (as always with DVBViewer) rock solid solution. I didn't have any crashes with DVBViewer in the last 2-3 years, despite I have installed all new versions, including Beta versions, without any backup, which is fantastic!

old post, but you are right!!

I use DVBViewer for same reasons, it is simply the best software, but I have eyes.. XBMC looks great, but I refuse to use more than one software for HTPC... to use two from different developers will result in problems. Trust me..

What I never have understood is why it is so terrible to do something about the WAF in DVBViewer..

and I am also sure most people wouldn't mind payning more than the 15Euro... if that is the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand why the programmers of ignoring the wishes of the users. Why Can not create a plugin for XBMC? I'm pretty sure many here would pay more than 15 EUR. We all expect a response ....

so I'm just saying ...

PUSH

Edited by babesumitra

XBMC Eden Beta 3 works fine with Upnp Recording Service again.

PD: you have to install the last version of Recording Service.

Do you know if it support subtitles?

Do you know if it support subtitles?

Yes it supports subtitles, turn them on in Recording Service Configuration, then you can turn them on or off in XBMC Audio settings.

Yes it supports subtitles, turn them on in Recording Service Configuration, then you can turn them on or off in XBMC Audio settings.

Thanks, i will try it

• 2 months later...

And when all the reverse engineering is done, we will have an open standard based on RTSP/RTP/RTCP ;) , see here. It will be a complete alternative to the current Unicast TCP (and also UPnP misused for Live-TV) stuff. Or is this implementation already based on that?