Channel Editor shortcut conflicts

QBox User

I spotted a couple of conflicts today with the keyboard shortcuts in the 4.9 Channel Editor window.

Alt-F selects FEC but Frequency is also marked. Maybe Frequency would work.

Alt-A selects Audio PID but Apply would be more useful. Perhaps Apply?

Looking closer, I spotted a few more:

Alt-N selects Tone but Channel Name would be more useful. Name?

Alt-O selects LOF but Modulation is also marked. Modulation?

Alt-P selects PMT PID but Polarity is also marked. Polarity?

If these suggestions are useful, can I add another?

The EPG drop-down box doesn't seem the appropriate control to use. It needs one click to view current selections and two for every change. A set of check boxes or radio buttons would be easier to use, with settings visible and only one click per change. There's nothing underneath to get in the way. Since the 3 settings are enabled by default, and I don't want to collect EPG for over 2,000 channels, I find myself using this control a lot, but it's awkward.

Edit: Yes, I know you can change these settings globally, per Category, but some channels still need to be set individually, e.g. every time a new channel is added.

Edited by QBox User
I spotted a couple of conflicts today with the keyboard shortcuts in the 4.9 Channel Editor window.

You can try to correct it in the English language file by changing the position of the ampersand (&) characters, e.g.

[frmChannelConfig]

lblFrequency.Caption=&Frequency (MHz) -> lblFrequency.Caption=Fre&quency (MHz)

and attach your solution here. In windows with many control elements it's a challenging puzzle, as you will see ;)

I didn't realise it was configurable. Here are the changes I made to the English.lng file in the DVBViewer\Language folder under program files.

[frmChannelConfig]

btnUpdate.Caption=Appl&y (the underscore doesn't appear at first until the Alt key is pressed)

lblFrequency.Caption=Fre&q. (MHz) (abbreviated to fit space)

Label6.Caption=Na&me

lblSatModulation.Caption=Mod&ulation

lblPolarity.Caption=&Polarisation (no change - this is not what appears on the actual caption)

[Display]

9=Polar&ity

This works, despite being in a different section. I see in the German file, both entries say "Polarisation", so maybe there was a confusion between two elements.

There were some other assignments which didn't seem operational, for example

mnuGroupH.caption=Group &H

and also for A-G. This is OK, since they would clash with other selections. I have removed them from my modified file.

I would have shortened some of the other captions to fit the spaces, but have left them for now. I couldn't find the "LOF (MHz)" caption in the file - maybe this control has been omitted from the lists?

I understand the need to keep the window narrow, but I wouldn't object if the width of the control groups was increased a little, to leave more room for the captions. I expect most language translations would find it hard to fit in the limited spaces, and nearly all users will now have widescreen monitors! There's also space to expand the Channel group downwards, so the controls don't overlap (and that EPG control can be changed!)

There were some other assignments which didn't seem operational, for example mnuGroupH.caption=Group &H

mnu = menu. The channel groups only appear in the context menu and can't clash with other controls.

I couldn't find the "LOF (MHz)" caption in the file - maybe this control has been omitted from the lists?

Maybe yes. There is no use in translating it.

mnu = menu. The channel groups only appear in the context menu and can't clash with other controls.

Oops. I'd better put them back, then. Can you delete the earlier one?

Maybe yes. There is no use in translating it.

Only to make it short enough to fit in the space. On my installation, most captions don't quite fit and controls overlap. Is there a parameter somewhere for font size?

English.zip

On my installation, most captions don't quite fit and controls overlap. Is there a parameter somewhere for font size?

No, unfortunately not. Most likely the overlapping is due to your system DPI settings that enlarge the fonts, but DVBViewer Pro is not DPI aware. It doesn't enlarge the windows accordingly. So there is not much use in trying to fix it with language file adjustments.

TransEdit and DVBViewer GE are DPI aware and should not be affected (are they?). It has not been implemented in DVBViewer Pro yet because it is much more complicated. Particularly all the bloody skins wouldn't fit anymore...

• 1 month later...
On my installation, most captions don't quite fit and controls overlap.

I've just checked it under Windows 7 with scaling set to 125 % on Control Panel -> Appearance. Particularly the DVBViewer Pro Channel Editor looks awful ;)

However, it can be fixed by switching the XP style scaling off (-> Set Custom Text Size), thus letting Windows 7 upscale DVBViewer Pro graphically as a whole, so the application doesn't have to handle large fonts. The downside is that DVBViewer Pro and other applications that are not DPI aware will look a bit blurry...

I changed the setting (Control Panel - Display - Set custom text size). There was no change until I also unchecked "DVBViewer.exe - Properties - Compatibility - Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Now the text is being scaled.

Main drawback is the vertical spacing between text. The Channels menu is too long for the screen because of all the Favourites and I can't reach the "Edit Fav" button on the List Editor since it's hidden behind the Taskbar unless I move it to top or side of display. My current resolution is 1360x768 - a compromise with the 125% text scaling. The List Editor is the same height as the display and I'm unable to re-size.

I'll try again with a higher display resolution and increased text scaling.

Edit: Since I changed the settings, sometimes the Taskbar won't hide on Fullscreen. This may be related to the DPI settings. Windows 7 taskbar

Edited by QBox User

I think I have it working OK at 1920x1080 resolution. 200% text scaling made the desktop easy to read but was too much for DVBViewer so I reverted to 150%.

The List Editor was still too tall for the display, though at 200% scaling, it had a vertical scroll-bar in the details pane. After reverting to 150%. I managed to re-size to fit the display. The scroll-bar didn't re-appear in this mode, as there seems to be a minimum vertical size for the window.

As you warned, the text in other applications is a bit faint, so I may decide to go back to the old XP scaling mode. The layout's not ideal, but at certain settings, it's acceptable. Thanks for the tip.