Quad satellite tuner problem

billybob69

Hi,

I was hoping that someone could help with my problem.

I previously had a working version of DVBViewer Pro with a twin satellite card (TBS6991SE) and have now changed that card to quad satellite card (TBS 6904). I have also installed a dish picking up three separate satellites (28.2e, 19.2e and 13e) connected to my quad card via three separate cables (not via diseqc). I have installed the card using the most recent drivers and gone into Options – Hardware and done a scan and DVBViewer is finding all four of the tuners.

The problem that I am having is that even though I have a channel list of channels from the three satellites, DVBViewer will only show the channels from one tuner at a time. In order for me to watch the channels from another tuner, I have to go into Options – Hardware and delete the other tuners. If I want to watch channels from another satellite / tuner, I have to do the same delete / rescan process.

Anyone care to suggest what is wrong with my setup?

(I will post a support.zip later if needed, but I’m sure that it just something simple in my settings!)

bb69

I have also installed a dish picking up three separate satellites (28.2e, 19.2e and 13e) connected to my quad card via three separate cables (not via diseqc).

You need to tell DVBViewer which channels can be received with which tuner. This can be achieved by using channel group assignment.

First use the DVBViewer channel editor to assign the channels from 28.2e to group A / 19.2e to group B / 13e to group C (just an examjple). Right-click the (root) folder that contains the channels of the satellite position and select Set Channel Group -> Group.... It sets the group for all channels contained in this folder.

Then go to Options -Hardware and for each tuner untick all channel groups that can not be received with the selected tuner. E.g. the tuner that receives 28.2e should have all groups unticked except A.

The idea behind it: When you switch over to a channel belonging to group X. DVBViewer will only use tuners that are marked as being able to handle group X. That's how it works :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the assistance, Griga. All fixed now. I'm currently watching the Camel racing on the YAS channel :-)

Although my setup wasn't quite as you suggested.

I have my cables connected with 13e to Tuner 0 (1), 19.2e to Tuner 1 (2) and 28.2e to Tuner 3 (4). What worked for me was -

13e is set as Group A and set to Tuner 0 (1)

19.2e is set as Group C and set to Tuner 1 (2)

28.2e is set as Group B and set to Tuner 3 (4)

I would have expected that 19.2e would have been B and 28.2e would have been D?

bb69

The channel group assignment is solely up to your choice. It's a pure user setting for linking channels to tuners and not related to technical DVB or satellite aspects. So it shouldn't matter whether you are using D or H or whatever for a satellite position. However, your configuration must be consistent and without ambiguities, of course.

• 2 months later...

Hi, My problem is similar to the above from billybob69. I have also recently purchased the same card (TBS 6904) and I am trying to get it to work using the latest DVBViewer software on win7 pro 64. DVBViewer finds all four tuners. However, unlike billybob69, I do not want to set up each tuner to receive output from different satellites (e.g. 19.2e, 28.2e etc) but simply want to set up each tuner to work with 28.2e so that i can record multiple channels coming from the same satellite. I have tried tuning many times using the channel group assignments to assign each tuner to 28.2 in the hope of creating an identical channel list for each tuner, but I have had no luck. I must be misunderstanding something here. How do i get each tuner tuned to the same list of channels?

Separately, after my tuning attempts I have also tried using dvb recording service to record multiple channels at once. At best I managed to get two tuners to record separately but that was all. At this point i did have two channel lists recognised in DVBViewer, but I hadn't managed to make them identical.

Any help appreciated.

Best regards, Chris

Edited by chrislloyd2
I have tried tuning many times using the channel group assignments to assign each tuner to 28.2 in the hope of creating an identical channel list for each tuner,

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense at all.

Usually channel group assignement isn't required for linking tuners to a satellite positions - only in case of very special outdoor equipment set-ups. Keeping separate channel lists for each tuner that are receiving the same satellite position is not only unnecessary, but quite problematic, and I strongly advise against doing this.

So please return to the standard setup, that allows every channel to be recieved with every tuner, remove all duplicates from the channel list and then tell us what doesn't work as expected.

Thanks for your clarification Griga. I was clearly over-complicating the process. I reverted to a single channel list with no channel group assignment and tried to record using all four tuners on different channels at once. This was successful - including the new 4k test channels! Hopefully this clarifies for anyone else in a similar situation.

Best regards, Chris