Questions and discussions about the DVBViewer Media Server announcemen

Tjod

Will the interface between DVBViewer and the new recording service be closer?

They're 2 very distinct entities now and that's not good enough.

For me the big issue is you can't set an autosearch timer up from DVBViewer. If the new recording service supported that I might be interested.

Currently I just use the recording service with a Kodi front end.

I like the PDC that was introduced. That's a good feature and works well on UK TV.

Will the interface between DVBViewer and the new recording service be closer?

No changes in this respect yet. If I would try to do everything that should be done before the next release, you would never see a release, believe me :)

To be true, there are some points in the DVBViewer Pro recording handling that I don't like at all. There is a lot of "historical" stuff involved restraining the communication with the Media Server, and it can't be changed easily without running in compatibility issues due to numerous dependencies inside and outside DVBViewer.

Looks like it will require some extensive work in future. But I won't start with it now - see above.

Yes. However, the router and firewall must be configured accordingly. Additionally the Media Server does not allow access from an external net without password protection. This can only be changed with expert settings.

• Like 1

Yes, Recording Service 1.33.2 Beta :)

We have provided free betas for many years. That's more than enough, isn't it?

Hi Griga,

You say that final MS 2.0 be equal to RS 1.33.2 Beta?

After reading the news message about MS I have the idea of a big changes. Then I suggest to provide a beta of 2.0 for testing for some time. You agree?

You say that final MS 2.0 be equal to RS 1.33.2 Beta?

No.

After reading the news message about MS I have the idea of a big changes.

There are some changes. "Big" is relative. Dunno what you would call "big".

Then I suggest to provide a beta of 2.0 for testing for some time. You agree?

No.

In this case Recording Service 1.33.2 Beta is the demo. :) It' a very generous demo for owners of a DVBViewer licence, because it demonstrates the Media Server capabilities pretty well without severe functional restrictions. Several things have been added / enhanced in the upcoming DVBViewer Media Server, but not so much that it yields a completely different application.

Yes. However, the router and firewall must be configured accordingly. Additionally the Media Server does not allow access from an external net without password

protection. This can only be changed with expert settings.

Can you explain the steps to follow?

Hi,

Regarding the "beta" or "demo" of the new Media Server 2.x that will replaces Recording Service 1.x, please consider this:

1) Some custemers (as me) have purchased a license for use the RS and TE, not for use the DVBViewer.

2) Some of the "new" functionalities of MS, like UDP/RTP TS multicast input to SAT>IP, and similar, are requested for RS sometime ago.

So, if you like to move to a new branch and make and additional fee, you can. I don't want to criticize that in any way, you're free to do it, and we accept that you work for (some) money. This is right and honest.

However, for current customers will be a good point to offer the option for "beta testing" or "simple demo" for the new module. I really need to check the new MS prior to purchase an additional license. Or you think I'm requesting something stupid?

Please, continue improving this good software! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Please help my understanding, if I pay for MS2 it would mean having two license code or a new license would be provided which covers both applications the Pro and Server?

I won't debate 19Euro such a small amount for a wonderful application, appreciate you guys have cost to cover as such it reasonable something in return plus the supports service that is being provided.

That being said, I would like to make payment now please provide a link ad instructions to facilitate the payment.

Cheers!

Please help my understanding, if I pay for MS2 it would mean having two license

You will need a DVBViewer licence (that you already have, it remains valid) plus an additional licence for the Media Server.

I would like to make payment now

Thanks for your offering and appreciation. Christian already replied to a similar question in the German forum that he would rather start receiving payments when the Media Server is actually ready and uploaded.

• Like 1

You will need a DVBViewer licence (that you already have, it remains valid) plus an additional licence for the Media Server.

Thanks for your offering and appreciation. Christian already replied to a similar question in the German forum that he would rather start receiving payments when the Media Server is actually ready and uploaded.

Sounds reasonable, is there a form of email blast which advice members when the upgrade is available for those who wish to pay for the license, although I have checked to follow this specific forum, to keep abreast of on going thread. And when to you anticipate a first release some sort tentative eta.

Thanks

Edited by e123enitan

We will announce it on our Website, Twitter, Facebook and the forum when it is ready. You would not miss it then :) Especially since we have to update the DVBViewer in the same time period.

• Like 1

Q: You say we can add iptv streams as a virtual dvd-tuner with this version, but does that also include xml epg data without the need for the a123.dk tool?

Have bad experiences with that one.

It will be possible with Xepg.

That's exactly the tool I mentioned that gives issues to me.

Oh well, just means I won't be spending the 19€ right away and will wait a year or so to see how it works out over time.

That's exactly the tool I mentioned that gives issues to me.

Yes, Xepg did require to change the Network ID for some IPTV channels channels in certain situations.

In the new version of DVBViewer/DVBViewer Media Server you can convert IPTV (TunerType=4) channels to TS Stream (TunerType=6) channels.

For TS Stream the new version of Xepg works right out of the box.

Edited by Delphi
  • 2 weeks later...

No changes in this respect yet. If I would try to do everything that should be done before the next release, you would never see a release, believe me :)

To be true, there are some points in the DVBViewer Pro recording handling that I don't like at all. There is a lot of "historical" stuff involved restraining the communication with the Media Server, and it can't be changed easily without running in compatibility issues due to numerous dependencies inside and outside DVBViewer.

Looks like it will require some extensive work in future. But I won't start with it now - see above.

So the problem I have then, with a new paid recording service.

It doesn't interact with DVBViewer the way I would want it to, and anyway I think I like a lot of people am moving away from having a Windows based PC under my TV so I can't use it with DVBViewer.

I do have a small NUC under the TV that runs a core Kodi. But your later versions of Recording Service are not compatible with Kodi and nobody here has shown any interest in fixing that.

And by your own admission you don't have much time or resources to develop the new recording service.

So sorry, there's no incentive to move away from an older, albeit buggy, version of Recording Service to pay for a new one that won't do what I want it to do, and is unlikely to do what I want it to any time soon because you have little development resource.

OK how about asking why 1.33.0 isn't compatible with Kodi when 1.32.0 was compatible with Kodi?

Since when does a recording service have to be compatible with clients? Since they said they'd start charging for it. Since people stopped using Windows PCs for set top boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no such function in the DVBViewer 6.0 and there are no plans to add additional features to this version.

The RS API already provides channel logos via it's API and that will work in DMS as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Editing the the recording informations is possible in the RS. And more is not planned for the next DMS version.

And why is it so hard to post in the right language section?

• 4 weeks later...

Install the DVBViewer Pro 6.0.0 and run the KeyTool and kick there in the DMS section on the lick to buy the DMS.

After you got the licence key, the DMS should be in the Members Area (Login with the data for the connected DVBViewer) in the "Paid Additions" section.

Is it possible to run DMS 2.0.0 on the same server where RS 1.33.1.0 are running?

I would like to make a "slow" transition where my clients being upgraded to DVBViewer 6.0.0 over time

Or do i need to make a "clean cut" upgrading RS to DMS, and upgrade all clients to 6.0.0 at the same time?