Command Line Param when recording starts

majstang

It is time to revive this long standing request once again. In my mind there is no good reason to ignore it any longer. Please be so kind making it possible to send a Command Line Parameter when ever a recording starts. Could be a RecStartTask which can pass a RecStart Param to other scripts/applications (RecStart mails would also be possible, but is of minor necessity) whenever a recording timer starts. Pretty much as the after recording task does. The only way today to get scripts or other applications to know when a recording has started is constant monitoring of the MS (RS) tray icon or constant querying of the MS API, which is a waste of resources. So any chance this can be realized? Maybe as a hidden feature which can be activated through a tweak? Such a RecStart Task can also be used to start Live commercial skipping. 

Edited by majstang

Sorry, ATM I have no time for it. I'm too busy with preparing bugfix releases. We have to come back to it later.

Maybe in the meantime you can elaborate a bit further what you want (more concretely) because I can't imagine how it is supposed to work. Please consider that the DMS in running in a system account which implies restrictions for communication with other apps/scripts or whatever.

3 hours ago, Griga said:

Sorry, ATM I have no time for it. I'm too busy with preparing bugfix releases. We have to come back to it later.

Oh, I didnt mean right away! Have been waiting for this one for 7 years, so it is very nice to hear it might be considered eventually:D  

3 hours ago, Griga said:

Maybe in the meantime you can elaborate a bit further what you want (more concretely) because I can't imagine how it is supposed to work. Please consider that the DMS in running in a system account which implies restrictions for communication with other apps/scripts or whatever.

Nothing fancy at all really. I was thinking of an ordinary Process Task like the "After recording task" which is connected to each recording timer, but instead of trigger the task when the recording finishes, it can be triggered when the recording starts, passing a {REC_START} parameter along with all the other parameters, which can be passed along with the "After recording task". The receiving script/app picks up the passed param and can act accordingly...in my case change MS status indication on the GUI. IMHO the only DVBViewer Media Server Configuration GUI (svcoptions) additions in the Task Editor would be a Checkbox (showing up after a tweak) that if checked enables the process task to trigger at recording start. If not checked it is an ordinary after recording task.

Yes it is very good you are mentioning the Microsoft introduced system account restrictions for communication with other apps/scripts with visible user interface (running in the user accounts) and Im fully aware of it, but there are ways to circumvent these restrictions. I usually do it on regular basis when automatically stripping commercials from finished recordings or converting video files on the fly. In these cases Im using "Named pipe" scripts and can fire up whatever fully-fledged GUI app/script that I like. Perhaps it might be interesting to integrate a named pipe solution into the MS down the road? 

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about one more change if introducing a Start recording task, its in the Search EPG autotimer setup in the webinterface and manually recordings setup pane, one have to be abled to select multiple tasks per recording (today its one task per recording via the dropdownlist). 

Edited by majstang

Oh My...I see now you already Added: Task Options. Havent tested it yet. Is this a "named pipe" server/client implementation? If so, why does these extended rights entail less security? Could the implementation be hacked in order to pass malignant code to user side? Might be interesting to know what security measures are taken to prevent possible breaches. Well, if disable internet access to the DM Server should be enough anyway.  

24 minutes ago, majstang said:

Is this a "named pipe" server/client implementation?

No. It's just launching a process in another account, not in the system account where the Media Server is running, e.g. DVBViewer in the active user account. This requires additional privileges. Have a look at the privileges entry in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DVBVRecorder

SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege X
SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege X
SeTcbPrivilege X
SeShutdownPrivilege
SeSystemtimePrivilege
SeLoadDriverPrivilege

The X-marked privileges are the additional ones. Ask the web for getting more information. If someone manages to take over the Media Server he will be able to perfom additional things with additional privileges. That's all to it.