Feeling dissapointed

Hop Tzop

Hello everyone,

I must express my disappointment seeing that old Recording Service now Media Server became payed, I feel like I've been fooled. When I've bought the license to DVBViewer I did it for the Recording Service, not for the actual app which I rarely use it. Now to see I have to pay again to be able to use what I initially payed for. I understand you work on two apps and it needs more time and of course more money, but I think you should've gave this for free to people that already bought DVBViewer and new comers should get the new price.

If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't have bought it and that's why I feel this way. It doesn't feel fair to me, hope you understand my point of view. For some people 19 euros might be nothing but to others it's a day or two of work. Even if it were nothing, I wouldn't have payed that 19 euros because who knows what will happen at some point and you'll split some other functionality that people will have to pay for. That's the feeling I get right now. At least keep the old version of Recording Service in the account so we can still download/use that if you're not willing to give Media Service for free to existing users that payed and kept you going.

Thank you!

I often get this kind of discussion and to be honest i'm quite sick of this. Besides that i'm glad that you started this post, since the most people try to express their displeasure via mail instead. I don't want complain about the fact that 60% of the licence fee is eaten by the german tax, it is like it is. 

When I started developing the software in 2002, while studying electrical engineering, i never thought that it will be my future - so i decided to offer updates for free till the project is dead, or i'm at least received my diploma ;) 

Anyhow the DVBViewer is still alive and i do this for living since then. Honestly last year we came to a point where we had to rethink about how to keep the whole eco system alive. It is a simple calculation: unlimited upgrades for a product located on a limited market over a longer time period will get you automatically into problems. Sooner or later you have to find a way to get payed for your work, if you don't want to start something else for living. 

The recording service was a beta version for more than 11 years and in the last 6 months we spend a lot of man power into this project to create a complete product. A product, by the way, we are quite happy and proud of.

Christian

• Like 6

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my complain. To understand it better you have to put yourself in my shoes. I do understand why you did it, I know there aren't a lot of users buying such software and you can't really make a living with a small user base. 60% of license are taxes, that sounds really bad and I'm really sorry to hear that especially since you are a small company.

My only complain is that something that used to come with the software initially, it was separated from the product people bought and asked them to pay for it. That's my only complain. Right now I can't trust that if I'll buy Media Service it won't happen again and some other feature that used to come in DVBViewer or Media Service will be cut out and I'll have to pay for it too. My problem is that it wasn't stated anywhere that Recording Service will become a payed software until 11.04.17. To make an analogy is like buying a car, using it for like a year and then the producer of the car comes to me and says: "The wheel will become a separate product, you'll have to pay for it" and he takes my wheel. That's how I feel because as I said I've bought it for the Recording Service.

Now, to stop complaining and to come with solutions, that might help you and your company, have you thought about having two different products that can be sold separately? I mean I would need only the Media Service and would gladly switch my license from DVBViewer for a Media Service one. This way people that want only the Media Service can buy just that and those that want DVBViewer app can buy just that or both. I don't know how those two are, if they are connected to each other somehow, but I think it will be a good solution, if not possible in the near future maybe later.

I have to say I'm sorry, if I came a little rough or like I don't appreciate what you are doing and offer you my sincere apologies if I insulted you in any way.

Thank you!

I dont get it.

You can still use RS 1.33 for free.

So whats your problem, you dont have to pay for something if you dont want new features.

But it seems you want new features and free updates for life.

Edited by VinoRosso
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Hop Tzop said:

When I've bought the license to DVBViewer I did it for the Recording Service, not for the actual app which I rarely use it. Now to see I have to pay again to be able to use what I initially payed for.

That's not true. You can go on using DVBViewer Pro 5.6.4 in combination with Recording Service 1.33.2. That's what you have paid for. There are no restrictions for versions that have been released before the DMS 2.0 release and they are still available in the download area -> older versions.

Please take note of the fact that what you have paid does not include each and every software that will ever be released here. With other words, it is no flat rate.

@VinoRosso The problem is Recording Service has been removed from the member section. If I were to reinstall my system and didn't had a backup I wouldn't be able install it. I don't like being accused of something I didn't do so here is a picture showing Recording Service is not there anymore http://i.imgur.com/q5RqUXY.png so with other words I don't have access to it anymore which makes my statement true.

@Griga I never said Recording Service is payable now, I was talking about it becoming Media Server and it's payed right now. Even in the first post I said it would be nice to leave the 1.33.2 version in the member section for download. Check the above picture.

I'm not here to argue, I just wanted to state my disappointment. If you, as a company, choose to do so, well I can't do anything about it. I don't think really matters one less customer after all. I'm glad I actually did a backup to the setup for Recording Service, I don't usually do that but seems it was a good choice.

LE: Nevermind, it seems it has been added at the bottom of the list. Yesterday I looked for it and it wasn't there. It's all good.

I still think it's a good idea to separate the two of them and sell them without having to buy the other. Right now I'll get updates to something that I don't use. At least I'll be able to use Recording Service in Kodi for a while until they update the pvr addon to work only with Media Server and I'll have to look for a different app to use.

Edited by Hop Tzop
6 minutes ago, Hop Tzop said:

I said it would be nice to leave the 1.33.2 version in the member section for download. Check the above picture.

Which picture?

Please scroll down to the Older Versions section. You should see it there:

Zwischenablage01.png

Zitat

If I were to reinstall my system and didn't had a backup I wouldn't be able install it.

If you bought software on CD / DVD and don't care and lose it you wouldn't be able to reinstall it. If you buy a software by download and the company closes and shuts down their website you are no longer able do download it. So if you buy something it's your job to keep setup media, keep backups, license keys, install codes etc.

• Like 1
Am 21.4.2017 um 20:49 schrieb hackbart:

I don't want complain about the fact that 60% of the licence fee is eaten by the german tax,

..but you should.

Tomorrow you go and beat your tax accountant! 60% !?!

Hi!

DVBViewer and also Media service are way too cheap for what they do and how they do it!

These are excellent pieces of software and they will bring you hours and hours of joy, please don't forget that.

The decision to offer lifetime updates for 15€ (don't know the prices in other countries, sorry) seems kind of insane from a today's view and it is very honorable to keep it up.

In fact I am a little concerned about the price. It's too cheap and if the team have to abandon their work on DVBViewer we all lose.

So please - don't be picky about the price. Taking the high quality of DVBViewer into account, it could be easily licenced with a subscription model, something like "30€ / year".

I would be happy to pay it!

Best,

Wolfram

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tih said:

Hi!

DVBViewer and also Media service are way too cheap for what they do and how they do it!

These are excellent pieces of software and they will bring you hours and hours of joy, please don't forget that.

The decision to offer lifetime updates for 15€ (don't know the prices in other countries, sorry) seems kind of insane from a today's view and it is very honorable to keep it up.

In fact I am a little concerned about the price. It's too cheap and if the team have to abandon their work on DVBViewer we all lose.

So please - don't be picky about the price. Taking the high quality of DVBViewer into account, it could be easily licenced with a subscription model, something like "30€ / year".

I would be happy to pay it!

Best,

Wolfram

There is always a way to donate.

Maybe not ALL people have your resources.

• Like 1
Am 23.4.2017 um 14:08 schrieb craig_s:

..but you should.

Tomorrow you go and beat your tax accountant! 60% !?!

Sure 19% VAT in Germany. Thanks to the EU the VAT from EU consumers goes up to 29% for customers who brought the software in hungary. The rest is regular tax, which is about 45% in Germany. So you see 60% is not even close to the real tax here.

Partially understand both of you. But my opinion is more like Hop Tzop. For me is DVBViewer+Media server dead now. I dont see big diferences against old versions. I know it will probably be better in future but to be honest I use only Recording service last few years and dont need more features, now It can do everything I need. I dont need DVBViewer at all. I dont know about any amazing upcoming features which could change my mind. And I would be ready to pay for new version only if you will separate Media Server from DVBViewer.

Next thing is that you promised free lifetime support in time of buy. This was your bussines model how to get more users quickly so you should, sorry no, you HAVE TO keep up your promises and dont charge old licences users with new fees. Thats my opinion.

32 minutes ago, mch said:

Next thing is that you promised free lifetime support in time of buy.

It has never been promised for the Recording Service, and it has never been promised that it will be free of charge till the end of all ages.

I am really considering to not support RS versions < 2.0 for the Android app, just to make sure the users have to support this  incredible software....

• Like 1
Am 25.4.2017 um 19:07 schrieb hackbart:

The rest is regular tax, which is about 45% in Germany.

Fortunately this is not true. This would be horrible! 

Perhaps you are thinking of the marginal tax rate (Grenzsteuersatz). The marginal tax rate of 45% is only valid if you earn (as an employee) more than 256.304 €/year. Well, if you complain about that high marginal tax rate you have a very high income anyway... :-)

The most interesting tax rate is the average tax rate. For example, if you earn 50.000 €/year you have to pay about 13.000 € income tax. This means: 26%. And in most cases its much less because of health insurances etc.

BTW In my opinion you are completely right to charge for the second (new) product "Media Server" after many, many years of developing. Just bought a license!

Thorsten

vor 10 Stunden schrieb mch:

Well, then show better licence product. So I can pay only features wichi I neeed...

Why don't you code a similar but better product. And then give it away for free? Come on, you don't need money. And you surely like to be bashed with hard words for any issue. When is it ready? I'm waiting to download it for free!!!1!

• Like 1

As you can see here in the wiki, it was intended as an additon to the DVBViewer. The historical growing of a software you should take also into your considertaions. When your intention was another one than the company's, it is not fair to blame the company for it, I think.

Many people took the RS as a nice give-away and more and more functions had been included. So I can understand, why a new program was released and the beta (RS) will not be developed any more. Obviously, there are many people who (want to) use such software.

Am 2.5.2017 um 11:17 schrieb mch:

Well, then show better licence product. So I can pay only features wichi I neeed...

Sorry, but this is childish.

The only way to pay only for functions you use or need is to pay a programmer or company to make a software just for you. All other software tries to serve as many needs as possible to arrive as many people as possible. Who does make use of every possible function in Office? You pay for more, than you need because you to use specific functions and the handling of the software, updates and so on. This is market economy.

Most people in this forum seem to use both and the actual licence politics is the easiest way to serve this need.

I don't know how many customers focus on the RS/DMS first. It could be a good idea to change the licence politics, if there are more people who want to run just the RS/DMS. How this could be achieved and what (big) changes there would be necessary, only the programmers can tell.

Good idea, a new "DMS only" licence without DVBViewer for only 99 EUR o:):D Then everyone has the choice :bierfink:

I'm ok with 99 EUR for DMS. Why? Because I've already found alternative. For those interested check MediaPortal TV Server and there are many more like that, for free. As soon as RS won't work with Kodi anymore I'll switch to that, so no need to pay that 99 EUR, HaraldL. :D

Edited by Hop Tzop
  • 3 years later...

Sorry for reviving this thread, but it's been some time and I've noticed, for users of old Recording Service, it was given a basic version so they can still get the new updates, be up to date, thinking OS changes overtime and not only that. I really appreciate this gesture and because of it I decided to buy Media Server. It's nice when the developer think about the customer and I want to encourage this kind of behavior.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everybody.

I am a DVBViewer RS 1.33.2.1 and DVBViewer PRO 5.6.4 user.

I recently had a crash of my Server and unfortunately simultaneously lost my RS installation files.

Unfortunately they are not available anymore in the Members Area.

I know I will not have any support from the developers since the product is kind of "discontinued", nevertheless I would like to continue using it without support (which I guess is fair).

To do that I asked mr Hackbart if it could be so kind to provide me a link to the old installation files, but I have been answered that I should have better backed up my files (very gentle indeed!).

Therefore I am now asking if any of you users may have those intallation files and could kindly share them with me. I have my license keys so I would be entitled to use them.

Thank you in advance!!! If you prefer you can contact me with a private message.

Regards,

Paolo

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Dakkar:

Therefore I am now asking if any of you users may have those intallation files and could kindly share them with me.

This is definitely not possible.

First of all, software from dvbviewer.com that requires a licence is only available as download from dvbviewer.com. Any other kind of distribution is illegal. Users that privately pass licenced software on to other people risk to lose their license and to get excluded from the download area.

Secondly, downloads are personalised, so that they will most likely not run properly on your PC, if they originate from another user with other credentials.

So you need to switch to the DVBViewer Media Server if you don't have the Recording Service installation file anymore. There is no other way.

Thank you for the reply.

Are really download personalized???

After downloading the file, in order to use the software, I need to insert my keys and passwords. Therefore without them they don't work. Am I wrong?

Secondly, I just need the RS. I don't remember now, but wasn't it free?

Anyway, is that so bad for you to let me have access to a file I have paid for and that I accidentally lost?

In the members area since few months ago I remember the files where still available.

Couldn't you simply provide them to me?

Thank you,

Paolo

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Dakkar:

Secondly, I just need the RS. I don't remember now, but wasn't it free?

It was never free. It required a DVBViewer license, just as the DVBViewer Media Server Basic now. The full version requires an additional license.

Ok, but you didn't answer the other questions:

1) Is the RS File personalized? Really? When I used to install the software (at least DVBViewer Pro) it asked me my credentials (license key and password). So I guess the installation files themselves are neither personalized nor usable without the credentials.

2) Is it to bad for you to let me access to a file that I have paied for in the past (and accidentally lost)? Why shouldn't I be put in the conditions to use a sw I paied for? I understand that it maybe consummes your time sending me the installation file, but I guess it is a very limited loss of time... And if you don't want to lose time, why don't you allow others heling me?

To be honest, I think my request is fair...

Paolo