Media Server - how does it work with Kodi?

globalist

So I want to use Media Server as my backend and Kodi with DVBViewer PVR client as frontend for all my viewing stuff and I have 2 questions:

1. Does DVBViewer program actually need to run for this to work, and if yes, how do I ensure only the Kodi client is playing back the stuff?

2. Does Media Server, if it can run standalone (without DVBViewer program), support CAM plugins?

Thank you!

Edited by globalist

1. No.

2.The Media Server supports decrypting with a CI/CAM. The plugin interface is the same as in DVBViewer, but only usable for plugins that don't need a user interface, because the DMS runs as a Windows service in the system account. However, decrypting by software (if this is your intention) must not be discussed in this forum (see forum rules) and is not supported or promised here. Using third party plugins is at your own risk.

OK many thanks.

So I now have DVBViewer Recording service 1.33 running with Kodi PVR addon for DVBViewer, but switching channels in Kodi is quite slow - it takes almost 6 seconds to switch to a channel. Is this a know issue? Are there any settings I should check? Everything is running on the same PC and in DVBViewer app alone, channels switching is quite fast, only 2 seconds.

P.S. I am using default settings with RSTP on the service. Should I maybe use uPNP?

Thanks!

Edited by globalist

No, I mean in the Service config, I can either enable RTSP, uPNP, or both. I assume if uPNP wasn't enabled, the client was using RTSP? In any case it's the same slow speed. Any advise?

48 minutes ago, globalist said:

I mean in the Service config, I can either enable RTSP, uPNP, or both.

Here the DVBViewer Add-On 2.4.6 has no RTSP option, so most likely it's always using what you call "UPnP". However, it doesn't use UPnP, as far as I know. It uses the Live and Media Stream Server and maybe also the Web Server.

The UPnP AV Server is a different thing. Kodi is able to work as UPnP client that connects directly to the RS without add-on. Search the web for it if you want to know more. I've tried, but UPnP is slower compared to the add-on.

Here channel switching is pretty fast with a DVBViewer Media Server on PC1 -> supplying a DVBViewer Media Server on PC2 via Sat>IP/RTSP -> supplying the DVBViewer Add-On in Kodi on PC2 via the Live and Media Stream Server (using HTTP). Approx. 3 or 4 seconds. Dunno why it is slower in your case. Maybe due to enhancements in Media Server 2.0...

P.S. Check the status page in the RS web interface. It will tell you what is actually used.

Edited by Griga

OK, so from what you're saying, I should disable both uPNP AND RTSP, and still be able to watch in Kodi using the PVR addon? As a sidenote, disabling RTSP there is no playback in DVBViewer itself, FYI. :)

SO can I maybe trial the Media Server? I wouldn't like to pay for something that may not make any difference in the end...

6 minutes ago, globalist said:

I should disable both uPNP AND RTSP, and still be able to watch in Kodi using the PVR addon?

Why should you? It doesn't matter.

6 minutes ago, globalist said:

As a sidenote, disabling RTSP there is no playback in DVBViewer itself,

Sure, if DVBViewer is configured as Sat>IP/RTSP client.

7 minutes ago, globalist said:

SO can I maybe trial the Media Server?

There is no trial version.

I checked and I'm already using Addon 2.4.7 in Kodi. But I don't suppose it makes any difference. Anyway, switching is now about 5 seconds, which is somewhat acceptable.

By the way, is there any way to purge all EPG data on the server? I've noticed it downloaded wrong channels's data for "CT Sport" channel (why?) and I would like to start from scratch?

Sorry about all these questions, but I'm new to all this. But I really like your product so far! :)

4 minutes ago, globalist said:

is there any way to purge all EPG data on the server?

Stop the RS (-> tray menu), delete the file epg.dat in the configuration folder -> config subdirectory (!), restart the RS.

Hmm I have "receive standard EPG" checked only, and the data is pretty much nonsense. It's like it's completely mismatching the channels. This is for mostly Czech and Slovak AStra 23.5 services. Any ideas?

OK one more:

When a channel has 4:3 content, is there any way to tell the Media Server or Kodi to stretch it to 16:9? I believe the setting in Kodi only applies to video files, not live TV?

Thanks!