Timer Recordings: error on changing start/end time or actions

RomanSin

Since DVBViewer Pro version 6.0.0.0 (till 6.0.2.0), if you modify a planned recording in Timer Recordings (e.g. change start/end time or After Recording action), the channel to be recorded is changed to the current one. Correct this error, please.

Edited by RomanSin

Well, at first you should schedule a programme for recording from the EPG window, let the channel to be recorded is "Channel 1".

Then please switch viewing to some other TV channel just to watch, let it is "Channel 2".

Then go to Timer Recordings window and try to change After Recording action (I have set "Sleep" by default but for evenings or weekends I set "To do nothing" for recordings).

When you press Apply, "Channel 1" in the recording will be replaced by "Channel 2" and really the recording will be made from "Channel 2" instead of "Channel 1"!

Can't reproduce it this way, or your description is not precise enough. With "step by step" I really mean "step by step", enumerating everything that you do, not just some fairy tale :) See example below - it saves a lot of guessing.

The channel that is assigned to a recording on "Apply" in the Timer Recordings Window depends on the channel name field in its input area. This works correctly, as far as I can see. I can't make DVBViewer assign a different channel than the one that is displayed there, whatever I try.

Furthermore this channel name remains the same as long as the Timer Recordings Window is open, no matter how and where I switch over to another channel (except by double-clicking a channel in the Timer Recordings Window, but that is intended).

However, there is a difference to DVBViewer 5.6.4. After opening the Timer Recordings Window the channel name in the input area is not the one of the selected timer recording, but the one of the currently played channel, so that I first need to re-select the timer recording in question before editing it. So the issue may happen in the following way:

1. No recording scheduled yet.
  2. Schedule a recording in the EPG window for channel X.
  3. Play a different channel, let's say channel Y.
  4. Open the Timer Recordings Window <======= !!!
  5. The recording scheduled in 2. is in the list and selected. The corresponding data is displayed in the input area except the channel name, which is the one of channel Y.
  6. Now, after changing the "After Recording" action and clicking Apply, a different channel (the displayed one) is assigned to the recording.

Is this what you mean?

Well, it is what I mean. Moreover, if you change the current watching channel just from the Timer Recordings window (it may be quicker that going to the EPG window), re-selecting the timer recording does not make an influence at all and the channel name in its "input" area will always be the current one.

What was a reason to change the behaviour of the programme? Why it was not made as an option to be turned off or on? Do you understand that it is not a good idea to break habits of long-term users, especially if it concerns the possibility to keep for decades something very important for them?

In addition to that, so-called "input" area of the channel name is not really an input area for years. I cannot manually input there anything. Placing "quasi-input" control there was a mistake of interface developing. It would be good to replace this control by a listbox with the list of all available channels. But, anyway, nothing in the schedule will be replaced without direct will of the user. There could be a lot of reasons to modify scheduled tasks: changes in TV programmes, changes in plans of working at PC… What is a need to add a risk of fatal mistake to each such modification?

I hope for your understanding.

18 minutes ago, RomanSin said:

Moreover, if you change the current watching channel just from the Timer Recordings window (it may be quicker that going to the EPG window), re-selecting the timer recording does not make an influence at all and the channel name in its "input" area will always be the current one.

Doesn't happen here.

22 minutes ago, RomanSin said:

Do you understand that it is not a good idea to break habits of long-term users,

Why don't you stay with some old DVBViewer version? You weren't forced to update, were you? DVBViewer is alive and will be developed further. Your holy long-term habits won't stop it. If you don't like changes just stay away from the download area. As simple as that...

18 minutes ago, RomanSin said:

It would be good to replace this control by a listbox with the list of all available channels.

Are you kidding? There are people who have thousands of channels in their list, particularly if they are receiving several satellite positions. The internet TV/Radio capabilities of DVBViewer 6.0 increase the number even more. All in one listbox? Forget it.

33 minutes ago, RomanSin said:

Well, it is what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for the hint. This change was not indended and I will look after it. However, I can't do anything with the rest of your posts. Doesn't make much sense to me.

12 hours ago, Griga said:

Why don't you stay with some old DVBViewer version?

Well, why wasn't this change reflected in changelogs?

13 hours ago, Griga said:

Are you kidding? There are people who have thousands of channels in their list, particularly if they are receiving several satellite positions. The internet TV/Radio capabilities of DVBViewer 6.0 increase the number even more. All in one listbox? Forget it.

So, you should replace an "input" control by a simple label displaying the name of the current channel since it is not possible to change it manually anyway.

13 hours ago, Griga said:

DVBViewer is alive and will be developed further. Your holy long-term habits won't stop it. If you don't like changes just stay away from the download area.

At first, changes should be reasonable, If you make changes just for changes, what is their sense? I have not seen any motivation in your posts to change behaviour of DVBViewer.

At second, there are beta versions for trainings. There is a good phrase from an old Soviet movie: Use cats for trainings. The users have not paid for your mistakes.

At third, new versions mean correction of bugs, it is the main reason to download and use them.