Questions before buying

videogamingtown

I am interested in purchasing Media server for the iptv features but i am holding back as i don't know what exactly it can do. A few Questions

1. Can DVBViewer app be used in conjuction with media server? For example i have media server running with iptv can i use DVBViewer app to view the channels it is serving?

2. Does Media server work with kodi? i know recording service works but does media server also work as well?

3. Can channel lists from DVBViewer app be imported to Media server or do i have to manually sort all the channels again?

1. Yes. The Media Server requires that DVBViewer is installed on the Server PC. It can additionally be used by other DVBViewer instances in the network.

2. Yes, best with the DVBViewer Add-On for Kodi.

3. Yes. On each start the Media Server automatically loads the DVBViewer channel and favourites list.

i have bought today but i still have not received my license details. I got the following email... 

we where unable to find your DVBViewer license in our database. This is not a problem at all, but
to speed things up, we need you provide us further informations (eMail used inside the DVBViewer).
Please send an eMail concerning this manner to:

The reason the system couldn't find me in the database is i have changed my email since i bought DVBViewer, 

i have sent an email to the address stated but still no reply, how long more will i have to wait? thanks

Edited by videogamingtown

We are no robots and in this kind of cases it might take a while to respond. Should mean my father will probably send your credentials tomorrow.

Thanks i have received this morning, all is running ok so far but i do have another question ... my iptv provider only allows one channel at a time, you have to pay extra for multiple connections, is the media server automatically configured for this or is there a risk of one channel being tuned in addition to another at the same time.

3 hours ago, videogamingtown said:

is there a risk of one channel being tuned in addition to another at the same time.

Yes. TS Stream Devices are created internally on demand.

In contrast to "static" TS Stream Devices that have manually been added to the hardware list,  the DMS tries to use the invisible "on demand" devices economically. If there is an opportunity to take away a device from a low priority task (like streaming to a client) in order to start a task with higher priority (like a scheduled recording), the DMS will do it. However, if it is not possible to allocate an already existing device in this way the DMS will create a second, third... device dynamically for receiving more than one channel.

In short: The DMS doesn't consider situations where limiting TS Stream reception to a single channel is a must. Maybe we have to add a possibility to configure this.

it would be great if the limiting could be added... all i'm using the server for is my dvb signals and for the iptv all i want is to duplicate a certain stream across 2 tvs.

Are you using the new TS Stream reception type or the classical DVB IPTV reception type? With other words, did you have to manually add an IPTV network device to the hardware list in the DMS hardware options to make it work, or did it work "out of the box"?

I should have asked this question first... the DMS doesn't create IPTV network devices automatically, so if there is only one device in the hardware list only a single channel can be received at the same time. However, you still must take care that DVBViewer doesn't receive a second channel if it is also equipped with a virtual IPTV Network Device.

If you are using the TS stream reception type I can provide a DMS test version that allows to switch the dynamical creation of virtual TS Stream devices off in order to make it work in the same way as the old DVB IPTV reception type.