Change Post Edit behaviour for the forum

majstang

Hi Admins,

I wonder if the site software supports the more common used Post Edit behaviour on other sites,  you could edit your post as many times as you like without this message "Edited just now by majstangshows up? If you edit a post after someone has replied then the Edit message should show up. Yeah, I know, I should be more careful correcting spelling mistakes and what not before posting, but Im simply not and notices my errors when reading through the post after submitting it, leaving sadly enough 90% edited topics:blush: If changing this I wouldnt run the risk of being exposed as a bad speller:lol: 

Edited by majstang

Hello majstang,

me too! :thumbsup:

But it doesn't bother me too much. And only in a few times I make a notice to the reason for editing the posting. Especially not, if I had found a misspelled word.:blushing:

Many Greetings

Webturtle

Haha...yes:D Well, I do my typing on a funky little HTPC keyboard that is so old that some keys dont work very well any longer and its proved to be quite hard to find new small keyboards with background lighted keys, so the spelling mistakes are frequent and when noticing that in principle my every post has the edit comment it gets kind of embarrasing:blush:;) Although a large part of my edits gets done when it strikes me i have more to say right after submitting it. That is why I think other sites, already using the suggested change, has the best setting. Additionally imagine how much unnecessary space all those auto generated edit-comments (not just mine of course ;)) must be taking when back-up the whole site.

EDIT: I came to think about an another feature on other sites, often connected to this suggestion, a post preview button. If pressing it you will get a preview how the post would look like when submitted, where its easier to spot mistakes.  

Edited by majstang

:lol: probably a year now with new site software and maybe +100 posts (havent been active a lot during the last years) and its first now, when being pointed to it, I notice its existence. Thanks for showing me, even though it is pretty anonymous, it is good its there:) 

• 2 months later...

Preview doesn't help really if - you didn't see your error or new Idea within the first minutes.

So most forum softs I know have an intelligent feature I like very much: within 5+ minutes you may edit your writing WITHOUT "Edited just now by majstang" cause the most edits happen within those 5+ minutes.

But regard that we are in Germany here. In this country no mistake will be forgiven ever.. ;) And no forum soft will be modified ever by nobody because - no German must be stupid everr... :rofl2:

40 minutes ago, craig_s said:

But regard that we are in Germany here. In this country no mistake will be forgiven ever.. ;) And no forum soft will be modified ever by nobody because - no German must be stupid everr... :rofl2:

Haha...that's funny:D ...and very interesting getting a class of German social anthropology(w00t) Swedes are more like Germans in this matter. If you want laid-back Denmark is the country to visit:lol: They often make fun of us Swedes calling us bureaucratic and too structured (boring):) 

43 minutes ago, craig_s said:

So most forum softs I know have an intelligent feature I like very much: within 5+ minutes you may edit your writing WITHOUT "Edited just now by majstang" cause the most edits happen within those 5+ minutes.

Yes, a grace period is an excellent idea and Im quite sure that option also exist in the phpBB forum softwares, but not sure whether it does for the Invision software (DVBViewer Forum). Well, my suggestion obviously hasn't been received very favourably in the administrator camp, so it looks like the stupid ones (moi) have to live with this annoyance;) Using the preview button (which also has issues) is like teaching an old dog to sit, Im too set in my ways;) 

..by the way, of course the admins may and do daily - edit hours to weeks later WITHOUT "Edited just now by admin" - equal rights for all ! :tongue:

4 hours ago, craig_s said:

admins may and do daily - edit hours to weeks later WITHOUT "Edited just now by admin"

Also applies to moderators. However, the changes are visible for other admins and moderators, but not for every Tom, Dick and Harry :)

Who can see that I've edited this post?