Josezkaos

FFMPEG with QSV Decoding and Encoding Live Streams

Josezkaos

As I commented this issue in another thread dedicated to NVIDIA transcoding, I'll create a new one for this as I think is interesting.

I've recorded a short clip from a DVB-T stream with DVBViewer:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aoe7406d87h3k

If QSV Decoder would work with live streams, this would be enought:

ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -vcodec h264_qsv -i dvbt_Stream.ts -vcodec h264_qsv -vf deinterlace_qsv -y test.ts

But that fails.

Somehow, if the stream is copied and piped into another ffmpeg ... it works:

ffmpeg -i dvbt_Stream.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts -| ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -vcodec h264_qsv -f mpegts -i pipe: -vcodec h264_qsv -vf deinterlace_qsv -y test.ts

Stream is copied, decoded with H264_QSV and then encoded with H264_QSV, all under HW Acceleration.

But this workaround is not valid for Recording Services:

Cmd=-i "{infile}" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts -| ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -vcodec h264_qsv -f mpegts -i pipe: -vcodec h264_qsv -vf deinterlace_qsv -y "{outfile}"

Seems the pipe lunches another instance which can't reach RS output pipe ({outfile}).

Why use QSV on Decoder and Encoder for transcoding live streams?

1. Decoded frames are in Video Memory, not in System Memory this way, so Encoding runs way more faster saving time moving those decoded frames between memories.

2. Deinterlacing with QSV avoids using CPU, once again faster and saving CPU for other processes running.

Does anyone know how to get RS to transcode live streams using QSV for Decoding and Encoding?

Thanks in advance (specially to Griga and majstang who replied in the other thread).

majstang
Posted (edited)

Hi Josezkaos,

although the FFMPEG stuff is kind of a blank area for me (not much testing done in my case) my question is how are you trying to launch it through RS? Via a task? If so the right placeholders has to be used.

Christian tells us:

{DVBVIEWER_PATH} can be used as placeholder for the DVBViewer / Recording Service installation path (including the trailing backslash) in the task filename, working directory and in parameters, e. g. {DVBVIEWER_PATH}ffmpeg.exe. Please note that placeholders must be uppercase!

also the right placeholder for the infile is {SOURCE_FILE}. Outfile I dont know. 

Also search for Transcoded Streaming in this thread http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/19629-recording-service-beta/?do=findComment&comment=431016

Edited by majstang

Josezkaos

The ffmpegpref.ini is used on live streams:

[PIPE TEST]

Cmd=-i "{infile}" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts -| ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -vcodec h264_qsv -f mpegts -i pipe: -vcodec h264_qsv -vf deinterlace_qsv -y "{outfile}"

maxWidth=1920
maxHeight=1080
MimeType=video/mpeg
Ext=.ts
Delay=2000

I'm using VLC as player, and in FFMPEGPREF.INI the {infile} and {outfile} are used in all prefs available by default in RS.

The other examples are adapted for the recording uploaded to mediafire, but the result is the same as using a live stream from RS ("http://localhost:1212/upnp/channelstream/3713217958821953687%7ClaSexta%20HD%20%28spa%29.ts").

majstang

Ok, check out this german thread

Josezkaos

I figured out what's the real reason why this command is not working in RS:

ffmpeg -i dvbt_Stream.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts -| ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -vcodec h264_qsv -f mpegts -i pipe: -vcodec h264_qsv -vf deinterlace_qsv -y test.ts

It's not (only) about the pipe, it's the HWACCEL option.

FFMPEG supports hardware acceleration, but when it comes to QSV it needs to render a DirectX device first.

As RS is running in a Windows Service context, DirectX is not available (DirectX 11 does under some limitations, but FFMPEG does not use it to access QSV devices) and therefore FFMPEG cannot create an instance of DirectX QSV Devices to decode video when called from RS.

In short, what we need is to fix the live stream so H264_QSV decoder can handle it (that's solved using the "-vcodec copy -acodec copy" or "-c copy" and a pipe to another FFMPEG instance), and to find a context where FFMPEG can render a DirectX QSV Device and use it instead of Windows Service Context.

I'm developing a simple Java app which performes like man in the middle, launching FFMPEG from Windows User Context so FFMPEG can access to DirectX QSV Devices ... it seems to work, but it still needs some fixes and tunning.

By the momment, I'm able to decode, deinterlace and encode using only QSV hardware acceleration as well as inject it into RS.

I'll keep you all up with news.

majstang

Yeah, the MS introduced Service context security limitations is a huge PITA! Im using a named pipe solution running scripts unrestricted for 8 years now. Have been suggested that solution being built into the RS/DMS equally as long, but no luck so far. I can understand it cuz its not the cleanest of solutions;) Although MS has API instructions/documentation themselves how to do something like it. Good luck to you and your nifty endeavours (they are very interesting and fun to follow):bye:

Josezkaos

Here it is a little comparaison...

This one is using RS default transcoding WEBM HD 3600Kbps (aka: 720p, 25fps):

9833TpZ

CPU using 70-80%, GPU at 0%, 

This one is using my http server (which calls FFMPEG using QSV) at 3M (aka: 1080p, 50fps):

g82VCeV

CPU doesn't change activity (stays at 33%), GPU jumps to 40-60%.

Video stream plays flawlessly (w00t)

janee

Hi Josezkaos,

nice project!!! This is very interessting.

I never got it working. Maybe you can share  the commandline for ffmpeg. I use a Kaby Lake CPU with Iris Plus Graphics 640.

Thanks!

e.g If I try this:

ffmpeg -analyzeduration 1500k  -i "http://127.0.0.1:7522/upnp/channelstream/transcode/2359890582721931325%7CDas%20Erste%20HD.ts" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mpegts -| ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -vcodec h264_qsv -f mpegts -i pipe: -vcodec h264_qsv -vf deinterlace_qsv -y "c:\temp\output.ts"

I got errors.

Spoiler

[NULL @ 0000023965c9cc40] missing picture in access unit with size 3
Past duration 0.987221 too large
    Last message repeated 1 times
    Last message repeated 1 times
Error while filtering: Cannot allocate memory
Failed to inject frame into filter network: Cannot allocate memory
Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:0
Conversion failed!
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Broken pipe
Error writing trailer of pipe:: Broken pipe
frame=  654 fps= 56 q=-1.0 Lsize=   12471kB time=00:00:14.41 bitrate=7089.4kbits/s speed=1.22x
video:12102kB audio:416kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: unknown
Conversion failed!

Josezkaos

Thanks!

Anyway, it is a very simple project .... actually, it just generates the FFMPEG call out of Windows Service Context (whis is the one uses RS) and returns the encoded video to RS.

That means, it adds some seconds of delay... But in the other hand, you get efficent HW encoding/decoding/deinterlacing/scaling.

My Intel HD Graphics 6000 seems not to support deint+scaling (runs of memmory ... but both works if used alone).

To use this project you need:

1 - a new FFMPEGPREF for RS

[FFMPEGSERVER 3M H264 DEINT]
Cmd=-re -f mpegts -i http://localhost:5566/RSFfmpeg?inputstream={infile}&ffmpegpref=3MDeintH264 -c copy -f mpegts -y "{outfile}"
maxWidth=1920
maxHeight=1080
MimeType=video/mpeg
Ext=.ts
Delay=1

2 - Configure the HTTPServer (don't panic, just to indicate a port number, FFMPEG path, and a new properties file path)

I've attached the jar, a properties file and even a .Bat to make it launch on windows startup (up to you).

You have to keep in mind just one thing: To decode using FFMPEG and QSV, it's needed to use the QSV decoder ... so the FFMPEG call, has a QSV codec.... If you want to use it with MPEG2, H264 and HEVC channels you'll need to create 3 different prefs into the NEW propperties file and use h264_qsv, hevc_qsv, mpeg2_qsv and the RS FFMPEGPref file.

Hope it helps!!!

RSFFMPEGServer.zip