Media Server Keeps Disconnecting, crashing the Kodi PVR client

newm

Hi,

I've been having a lot of issues with the DVBViewer Media Server as of recently. Despite being on the latest version (6.0.4), the Media Server crashes after sometimes a few hours or sometimes a few minutes, causing my Kodi clients to timeout. However, in turn this causes Kodi itself to crash when attempting to connect back. I'm unable to download an older version of DVBViewer 6 from the Members Area, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the issue is and if it's possible to obtain an older installer (6.0.3 or 6.0.0) so I can see if the issue exists on an older build? I've attached the support.zip file. Thanks.

support.zip

Hi, 

Its apparent you are talking about DMS v.2.0.4. What kind of a crash is it? Does the tray icon go grey when crashing and its impossble to restart DMS and the only option from there is a reboot of PC? The last case is often due to faulty DVB hardware or (more likely) DVB (bda) drivers. 

Hi,

I did mean DMS 2.0.4. The Media Server recovers itself after a few seconds but its enough for whatever client's trying to connect to timeout. After reviewing Kodi's logs it appears to be the sudden 100+ connections it attempts to make to the media server that ultimately causes the crashes. The server uses a mixture of DVB and IPTV channels but that has not been an issue in terms of stability in the past.

Thanks.

The log lines marked with <===== are strange. I've never seen it before:

Spoiler

27.12.17 19:40:38.440 TLiveStream          AllocateHardware Professional DVB Digital TV DVBS2 1 (1)
27.12.17 19:40:38.440 TBDADVBSky           SetTuner         TType: 1, Freq: 11023, Symrate: 23000, LOF: 9750, Tone: 0, Pol: 0, DiseqC: 3, FEC: 2, APID: 5001, VPID: 5000, PMT: 258, SID: 8921, TID: 2061, NID: 2, SatMod: 6, DiseqCVal: 0, Flags: 24, Group: 0
27.12.17 19:43:49.281 DDServicePreShutdown Start //<========================================
27.12.17 19:43:49.281 TRecordingEngine     StopService      start stopping service
27.12.17 19:43:49.281 TUPnPAnnounce        Stopped          
27.12.17 19:43:49.282 Release              Professional DVB Digital TV DVBS2 1 (1)
27.12.17 19:43:49.282 Free                 Professional DVB Digital TV DVBS2 1 (1)
27.12.17 19:43:49.410 Freed                Professional DVB Digital TV DVBS2 1 (1)
27.12.17 19:43:49.410 hamDeleted           Professional DVB Digital TV DVBS2 1 (1)
27.12.17 19:43:49.410 TDVBWebserver        Disconnected     
27.12.17 19:43:49.410 TStreamManager       Deactivated      
27.12.17 19:43:49.410 TRecordManager       Freed            
27.12.17 19:43:49.583 TSynHttpServer       ServerLoop       terminated
27.12.17 19:43:49.598 TSrvDataModule       Freed            
27.12.17 19:43:49.598 TRTSPWebserver       Disconnected     
27.12.17 19:43:49.660 TRecordingEngine     savesetup        save vcr
27.12.17 19:43:49.660 TRecordingEngine     Stop             ClearDeviceList
27.12.17 19:43:49.660 TRecordingEngine     Stop             Done ClearDeviceList
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     Stop             Unload settings
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     Stop             Couninitialize
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     Recorderservice  Disabled
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     StopService      stop service
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     Execute          setrunning false
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     Execute          release shared
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     Execute          Couninitialize
27.12.17 19:43:49.692 TRecordingEngine     Execute          Stop
27.12.17 19:43:49.707 End App              ------------------------------------------------------------
27.12.17 19:43:49.707 DDServicePreShutdown End  //<========================================

A live streaming session starts. Three minutes later the service is stopped for some reason and closes normally without reporting an error. Looks like it is done from outside. Is there anything in the Windows event logs that indicates what has happened?

On 2018-01-11 at 7:29 PM, newm said:

and if it's possible to obtain an older installer (6.0.3 or 6.0.0) so I can see if the issue exists on an older build?

Normally previously installed versions of DMS are stored in the "backup" subfolder of the DVBViewer Pro installation folder. Since you are using Kodi and probably do not have any DVBViewer Pro License and consequently no DVBViewer folder, I dont know where the backups are located in your case.

2 hours ago, newm said:

The Media Server recovers itself after a few seconds but its enough for whatever client's trying to connect to timeout. After reviewing Kodi's logs it appears to be the sudden 100+ connections it attempts to make to the media server that ultimately causes the crashes. The server uses a mixture of DVB and IPTV channels but that has not been an issue in terms of stability in the past.

Hmm...tricky to say the least! Nothing I have experienced before and im not using Kodi. Do you have a DVBViewer Pro license? If so please try to see if same disconnections can be reproduced if using DVBViewer Pro as client instead of Kodi? Just to rule out any potential influence from the Kodi plugin. Additionally, I see you are using Win 8.1, I wonder if MS releases similar system wreckers on that OS version as well, as they do for Win10 in form of Creators Updates rendering 10 AMD driver versions quite buggy and a bunch of other stuff that breaks? Total mayhem it is and Im pissed about it. 

Edited by majstang
3 minutes ago, majstang said:

Normally previously installed versions of DMS are stored in the "backup" subfolder of the DVBViewer Pro installation folder. Since you are using Kodi and probably do not have any DVBViewer Pro License and consequently no DVBViewer folder, I dont know where the backups are located in your case.

I own a DVBViewer Pro License and have it installed in addition to Media Server, but the only version that has been installed on the current configuration was 6.0.4. The same disconnections are reproducible there, but when connected to DMS. I have not tested yet with a direct connection to the tuners. 

Microsoft does release system wreckers from personal experience. My Windows 8.1 install has bricked twice with no ability to repair or recover because of rogue "recommended" updates pushed by Microsoft. However, Windows 10 is too problematic from personal experience also to run as a reliable HTPC.

On 2018-01-12 at 11:18 PM, newm said:

but the only version that has been installed on the current configuration was 6.0.4

The DVBViewer customer area (where you download stuff) contains an "Older version" section at the bottom, where DVBViewer Pro 5.6.4 and Recording Service (beta) 1.33.2.1 can be found. That is you best chance testing old versions, since all DVBViewer Pro/ DMS software are connected to your particular license there is no way (and not permitted) to share older versions between licensed users. 

Well, it does seem to be a struggle to run a reliable HTPC regardless of which Microsoft OS you are using, unfortunately.  

Edited by majstang

I won't be able to test using DVBViewer 5 because my configuration requires the use of IPTV and Satellie channels. However, I am confused as to why the members area does not offer any older versions of DVBViewer 6 or at least an older version of DMS, especially since DMS was an additional paid license.

I agree with the Windows statement, sadly. I plan on testing a Linux installation once HDR is supported by drivers.

Hi,

I reviewed the event logs and discovered that for some reason the media server is being stopped, then a second later started again for no apparent reason. There are no other logs directly before or after that indicate something triggered it, however. Any idea why this may occur?

Thanks.

Hi again,

I understand users are not able to distribute the installers but could someone like Griga provide an earlier version? The issue still persists but is also occurring during playback at times.

Thanks

On 17.1.2018 at 9:12 PM, newm said:

Any idea why this may occur?

I've digged a bit deeper and found out that it is triggered by a SERVICE_CONTROL_PRESHUTDOWN message sent by Windows to the service. Read more about it here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms685149(v=vs.85).aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683241(v=vs.85).aspx

When the user shuts down the system, all control handlers that have called SetServiceStatus with the SERVICE_ACCEPT_PRESHUTDOWN control code receive the SERVICE_CONTROL_PRESHUTDOWN control code.

However, that shifts the question to "Why does this message arrive although there is no shutdown going on?"

On 11.1.2018 at 7:29 PM, newm said:

if it's possible to obtain an older installer

I don't believe that it depends on the DMS version because the relevant part of the code hasn't been touched for years. Moreover there are no other users reporting this issue. But you can try the old Recording Service 1.33.2 that is still available in the "Older Versions" section of the download area. Make a backup of your configuration folder before installing it and restore the content after having re-installed the DMS.

• 1 month later...

I encounter frequent similar sounding issues with RS 1.33.2.

It can work fine for ages, then when trying to view a recording from Kodi / OpenELEC it just times out and won't start.

From that point no uPnP streams / recordings will work on Kodi until the RS is restarted.

I've posted about it on the forum but nobody has ever managed to work out why.

That's a different thing and off topic here. The issue has been fixed in the DVBViewer Media Server 2.0.0.0:

On 11.4.2017 at 5:35 PM, hackbart said:

Fix: Media Stream Server: Access violations under certain timing conditions that disabled the (UPnP) delivery of files and recordings completely until a Media Server restart.

Unfortunately you didn't respond here, otherwise you already knew...