OpenVPN and Media Server

mitsu

I would like to use Media Server thru OpenVPN. I found a German thread but I did not get clear idea how to do the manual configuration.

In my configuration the remote end gets IP address 10.8.0.10 and the Media Server in the local network has IP address 192.168.255.30. All local services in the 192.168.255.x network are fully accessible thru VPN with IP addresses but name server does not work.

How to configure the Media Server and the DVBViewer in the remote end?

too little information.

Are you using a firewall like pfsense? Is a rule in place to allow all needed ports?

do you have the "bind" option in your openvpn client config?

I do not use firewall (in this case), firewall is not preventing the needed traffic.

I also think that OpenVPN is the reason. OpenVPN server is running in a FreeNAS jail. I just copied the settings from Raspberry Pi instructions and was happy with that. I have very limited understanding of the OpenVPN settings. Attached the server and client settings.

There is nobind setting in the client. I have no idea what that means.

OpenVPN config.txt

I just can explain form my base of knowledge. I use also OpenVPN and running the RS. I did a view things to reach.

First tested if i can ping the ip of the server when i am connected with vpn.

Then if you are able to access some linux. I had a look to the  name, with the host command. Like hosts "bla.bla" and i got the ip of the server like 10.10.0.X

At least, i enabled using the server via internet, with guest account and allow connection trough the internet.

Then all works for me and i was able to watch tv and videos trough vpn.

Hopefully i can help you.

Kind regards

mbathe

Thank you mbathe.

I can ping after disabling Windows firewall. In this computer, Windows firewall prevents ping. In other basically similar Windows 10 computers does not. Anyway, Media Server behaves same way firewall enabled or disabled.

Local name server is not working over VPN. I know that there is something wrong in the OpenVPN settings. I just do not have enough time to really study the settings.

You have "nobind" instead of "bind" in your client config. That should at least make your name resolution possible.

What do you want to use over VPN? Be more specific!

The web interface with its streaming? Using the mobile apps? Or the Sat/IP Streams? TCP or UDP?

Edited by esackbauer

Changing nobind -> bind did not change anything, including name resolution.

I just wanted to watch my favorite tv when travelling (with laptop).

I would recommend you use the web interface on Port 8089.

The problem with DVBViewer as SATIP client is, that only the local subnet is allowed via Windows Firewall (and your OpenVPN client is on another subnet!).

So I guess you need to check the Inbound Rules on Windows Firewall of your PC running Media Server

Edited by esackbauer

Yes, web interface is working fine. However, it is not as nice as the real application.

Sometime I will try configuring OpenVPN to bridge mode, which will basically solve the two subnets problem.

I got OpenVPN working in bridged mode. And DVBViewer is working perfectly with remote Media server.

Here are the instructions: http://www.arda.homeunix.net/openvpn-setup/

However, activating the bridge does not go exactly as instructed with a Freenas jail. You have to configure the jail with ticking the Vimage mode. Also the IP device is not em but epair and the device numbers are not always set to 0 for some reason. With using ifconfig -a, it is easy to check the real devices.