Questions before buying - use of NAS disk for recording and number of programs to record

Alan_SP

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing DVBViewer and plugin Media Server for recording multiple files (as I see that only DVBViewer can't record scheduled programs without it).

I have Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD usb tuner and I tested, it works fine from what I see. I also have Hauppauge original software that also works (and scheduled recordings also work), but I can't use my WDMyCloud NAS disk as recordings' destionation with it.

So, first question is, and I guess, I can use my WD NAS as destionation? I have speed of about 3-5MB/s (it depends, but I think it will be enough).

Second thing is, I read somewhere in instructions that I can record more than one channel if they are in same frequency (transponder). And I have two tuners on my tuner USB stick, does this means I can record 3 or maybe even 4 channels at the same time? Or maybe even more?

And, last question is about licence. If I buy it how long it lasts? Within version I bought it (let's say, v6.x) or one year or is there some different licencing system? I tried to find this info and for some reason it escaped me.

Otherwise, program looks great and works fine from what I noticed in my testing.

Hi,

as far as i know you can store the recordings on a NAS. As you already said, yes the more dvb devices you have, the more you can record simultaneous (also on different transponders).

There is no time limitation of the license. Which means if you buy a license you will be able to get the updates even in years. 

So, for NAS it is yes, I can use it (Hauppauge said that they disabled it intentionally).

Is there someone who can confirm how many channels I can record at same time with two tuners of my USB tuner stick (on same frequency I have usually 4 programs and I have two tuners). Does this means I can record up to 8 programs (two frequencies with 4 programs each)? Or is it too much?

And about licencing, this is great info.

Thanks.

Edited by Alan_SP
1 hour ago, Alan_SP said:

So, first question is, and I guess, I can use my WD NAS as destionation?

Yes. However, Windows 10 introduced some restrictions if accessing the NAS requires a user name and password. A special Media Server configuration is needed for it, because it runs as a Windows Service in the system account without username and password. We'll come back to it later... :)

Does this means I can record up to 8 programs (two frequencies with 4 programs each)?

Should work, provided the channels are not encrypted. Background recording (without playback) requires little resources. Some years ago someone managed to record 60 radio channels at the same time - all located on the same frequency -  with DVBViewer and a single tuner, because he just wanted to know if it works...

And about licencing, this is great info.

You can find more detailed information here and here.

• Like 1

Thanks for additional info.

NAS shouldn't be problem, as I configured it that I access it without password, as it works only within my home network. And my PC access it by just going to its drive letter in file manager. So I guess this wouldn't be a problem. But you mentioned we will come to that later. Is there some additional info I should be aware of?

Also, I guess temporary buffering wouldn't be a problem, till NAS goes live, as it powers down when not used.

Recording all programs in same frequency alone is reason enough for buying DVBViewer, it is really great feature.

And, thank you for clarifying additional licencing info.

Edited by Alan_SP

Just to use this thread for one more question, I bought DVBViewer and Media Server today. I received info for DVBViewer very quickly but not for Media Server (transaction ID 0NW77445AP546454Y , paid with PayPal).

Maybe because it was too close (time stamp for receiving code for DVBViewer and paying for Media Server is almost same), so second transaction wasn't noticed and maybe that's why I didn't additional password for Media Server.

Which email to use to ask about this situation?

Just to report, I received password for Media Server, so everything is fine.

Also, I tested recording multiple programs within same frequency and used both tuners. I successfully recorded 6 (3+3) programs in same time, so it works great, actually fantastic. Really great software, thanks.