DVBViewer GE

Griga

DVBViewer GE 1.2 is available in the Service Center.

Since no English version has been available up to now (the German users had to find the bugs :D ), I'll first tell you briefly what DVBViewer GE is.

It's a special DVBViewer version that I use as personal development platform. It is provided as free additional software for purchasers of DVBViewer Pro. Actually some of the more "technical" code in DVBViewer Pro (e.g. the internal data stream handling) originates from DVBViewer GE.

Since I didn't want to dig through tons of code when developping and testing new things, I simplified and optimised DVBViewer GE considerably. Hence it does not contain all the DVBViewer Pro features. It doesn't support skins, doesn't feature the elaborate OSD and multimedia database of DVBViewer Pro 3.0, and some other things.

None the less DVBViewer GE provides equivalent technical DVB capabilities plus some additional features (for an overview see here). It requires less memory and CPU power, thus being suitable for less powerful PCs, or "purists", who want a reliable software for watching and recording TV on their PC, without HTPC ("Home Theater PC") or network requirements.

You may also try DVBViewer GE if nasty circumstances prevent DVBViewer Pro from functioning correctly, according to the simple equation "less code = less error-prone". :D

So give it a try, if you like... an English help file is available in the Service Center, and can be read online. It focusses on special DVBViewer GE features, that – compared to earlier DVBViewer versions or DVBViewer Pro 3.0 – are different or new.

Please read the installation instructions - DVBViewer GE comes without an installer.

Feedback is welcome - it will help to make DVBViewer GE better, and DVBViewer Pro as well.

Is possible to scan terrestrial channels (from Airstar2 DVB-T card)?. The "Europe.ini" transponder is not recognized.

Thanks.

Edited by trekminal

Thanks for the hint. I disabled it by accident.

A new DVBViewer GE version 1.2.1 with some fixes will be uploaded soon - tonight or tomorrow. Till then use the TransEdit scanner (see Service Center) as work-around.

I've uploaded DVBViewer GE 1.2.1:

- Fix: Channellist exported as CSV yielded wrong FEC values after importing them again.

- Fix: Channel switching by pressing [Enter] didn't work in the Channellist Window.

- Fix: The transponderlists for DVB-T/C didn't show up on the Scan Tab (due to a new way of initializing the TechniSat card. I hope it works now - I can't test it).

- Fix: After selecting a channel via keyboard wrong channel numbers were displayed in the Channellist Window.

- Fix: DVD playback crashed if the Sonic video decoder and the VMR9 video renderer were used.

- Fix: Playback of MPEG1 files didn't work if the DVBViewer Filter had been selected for MPG playback.

- Fix: When playing *.ac3 files DVBViewer GE ignored the selected audio decoder, used the Audio Selection Filter (shouldn't happen with AC3), and displayed "Stereo" in the statusbar.

- Fix: MPG files from SVCDs couldn't be played with the DVBViewer Filter.

- Added: Starting time of broadcasts is displayed in the detailed OSD EPG info (Now/Next).

Just download the new version and it have only german language!!!!

- Fix: Channellist exported as CSV yielded wrong FEC values after importing them again.

- Fix: Channel switching by pressing [Enter] didn't work in the Channellist Window.

- Fix: The transponderlists for DVB-T/C didn't show up on the Scan Tab (due to a new way of initializing the TechniSat card. I hope it works now - I can't test it).

- Fix: After selecting a channel via keyboard wrong channel numbers were displayed in the Channellist Window.

- Fix: DVD playback crashed if the Sonic video decoder and the VMR9 video renderer were used.

- Fix: Playback of MPEG1 files didn't work if the DVBViewer Filter had been selected for MPG playback.

- Fix: When playing *.ac3 files DVBViewer GE ignored the selected audio decoder, used the Audio Selection Filter (shouldn't happen with AC3), and displayed "Stereo" in the statusbar.

- Fix: MPG files from SVCDs couldn't be played with the DVBViewer Filter.

- Added: Starting time of broadcasts is displayed in the detailed OSD EPG info (Now/Next).

You didn't read the installation instructions!!!

For an English user interface remove the file Deutsch.lng from DVBViewer GE\Language.

sorry

You didn't read the installation instructions!!!

For an English user interface remove the file Deutsch.lng from DVBViewer GE\Language.

It works with Airstar2. Thanks for the update. :blush:

@All who want to discuss the TwinHan stuff: Please continue here. I've moved the posts. At the moment this is no DVBViewer GE related topic.

I've uploaded DVBViewer GE 1.2.2 to the Service Center.

Unfortunately some video decoders didn't work properly with "Overlay" as video renderer mode, causing some nasty issues. Affected were

Elecard 2.0, Mpeg2Dec (the GPL decoder), DVD Express, DScaler.

This is fixed now. For a DVBViewer GE update, simply replace the old file DVBViewer.exe by the new version.

Additionally the DVBViewer GE package contains a new DVBViewer Filter version 2.2.2. It is also available separately for DVBViewer Pro 3.0 (see Plugins Section).

It prevents the AC3 Filter from connecting to the video output pin, which happens under certain circumstances and paralyses TV playback (reported in the German forum).

Please note: If the DVBViewer Filter (file PushSource.ax) is already present in your system, copy the new version to the DVBViewer\Filters resp. DVBViewer GE\Filters folder and re-register it by using the RadLight Filter Manager. Otherwise the changes will not take effect. Registering the new version once (in one folder) affects all DVBViewer installations.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to add an English version also? I don't understand the German in the Options Menu.

Thank you.

you must only delete the language file "Deutsch.lng".

There is also an English manual available inside the members area.

• 3 weeks later...

Now something about the Premiere H.264-coded HDTV transmissions on Astra 19° East (11914 H) - sorry, I had no time to announce it in English up to now.

The German pay TV provider Premiere started to broadcast a HDTV test transmissions in H.264 (a MPEG 4 version). That's why I decided to upload DVBViewer GE 1.4 beta to the Service Center, that is able to recieve and play this stream.

However, it is highly experimental (same for the broadcaster, I suppose), and the result is quite jerky even on very fast PCs - it requires an incredible amount of CPU power. Be warned: DVBViewer GE might crash or freeze, especially when receiving the live stream, since the data comes faster than it can be processed.

Requirements for H.264:

- The Moonlight H.264 Decoder must be registered in your system.

- Download DVBViewer GE 1.4 Beta form the Service Center (Beta Section) and unpack it. If you don't know DVBViewer GE, first download and read the installation instructions.

- Register the included PushSource_H264.ax file manually, e.g. by using the RadLight Filter Manager (see Plugins Section of this board). It's a special DVBViewer Filter version with an H.264 output pin.

The other PushSource.ax is the "normal" DVBViewer Filter - new version 2.3 for *.mp2 and *.ac3 audio playback, but without H.264 capabilities.

- Scan Astra 19° East 11914 H. The DVBViewer GE 1.4 package contains an updated transponder list for this purpose (file Astra 19E.ini in DVBViewer GE/Transponders). You may also use TransEdit 2.02, that I've uploaded today (see attached image), and export the scan result to DVBViewer GE. An imported channel list entry from former DVBViewer versions won't do.

The channel appears under the name DPC TV11. Though it comes with an AC3 stream, there is no audio - just silence. Video is 1920 x 1088, 29.97 fps. Don't trust the frame rate reported by the DVBViewer - I don't know how to detect it yet.

- Switch over to that channel and see wether DVBViewer GE survives... or record it as TS and play it from the file. That's less critical. Good luck...

Other DVBViewer GE 1.4 enhancements:

- Renewed scan tab in the channel list window. Provides an convenient way to scan single transponders. Some DVB-T issues fixed.

- Integrated "picture in picture" preview function (see View and Context Menu). Requires the file PreviewW.exe in the DVBViewer GE or DVBViewer GE\Plugins folder. Click the DVBViewer or Preview Window with the middle mouse button to give it the "audio focus". Double-click the Preview Window for full screen.

The Preview Plugin will not be developped further in future. You may use it to watch three channels at the same time in DVBViewer GE 1.4, however, but that's no official feature - you may encounter issues.

- Playback of *.mp2 and *.ac3 audio files with DVBViewer Filter 2.3 (enabling playback of the files while they are recorded).

- OSD-Enhancements, especially in the VMR modes. The OSD already learned to understand some mouse clicks. Still far away from what Lars is doing in DVBViewer Pro, but I'll try to make it work better, little by little...

And don't forget: It's a beta version. In the middle of making DVBViewer GE 1.4 I was caught by the H.264 stuff. Some things are not ready yet...

P:S. Something that should be mentioned: The H.264 coding was enabled by Derrick, who already captured a H.264 DVB stream last year, and, without knowing what it was, preserved it on his hard disk. Some time before Premiere started the broadcast, he discovered by chance that it can be played with the Moonlight H.264 decoder. Due to his diligent researches (e.g. finding out the stream ID) it was possible to do some of the coding beforehand. That's why we were able to respond so fast... :bounce:

Zwischenablage01.png

...btw, I actually use my htpc in "HyperTread" mode (virtual Double CPU with a single P4 800Mhz at 3,0 Ghz clock)...if I put the setting in my Asus M/B bios at "No HTread" would it better this GE1.4h264 version functioning ? I ask this because I some time use Alt-DVB that is known as bad "digesting" HyperTread...

Tnx

Don't know, I have no experience with hyperthreading. Try...

As Klausing reported in the German forum, there are difficulties to enable dual processor usage for DVBViewer GE in general. Even after unticking "Only First CPU" in the options and restarting DVBViewer GE it uses only one CPU.

Dual processor usage can be enabled via the Windows task manager, but as soon as the filter graph is rebuilt, DVBViewer GE returns to the previous state. I suppose it will show the same behaviour with two virtual CPUs.

At the moment we are working at it. I've just sent a modified version to Klausing, since I can't test it myself. Let's see what happens...

...here's the result of what I just tried out:

WITH HT enabled by bios:

GE1.4h264 on PremiereHD image is not very fluent but watchable...interruptions present but last not very long 1 or less that a sec.

HT desabled by bios:

image seems more fluent for larger period of time (5-7 sec.) but then interruption of 2-3 sec. and back "normal" stream...

I add that with HT enabled I tried with and w/out the "use first cpu only" enabled and no noticeable difference...so that's it.

I'm not real expert about programming and developing, but instinctively I'd say that this "experiment" is surely improoveable...and this, without recurring to sophisticated h264 hardware supported video-card (who knows when we'll see the first on the market ?)

@giorusso:

Can you please check in the Windows Task Manager, wether you get a "balanced" CPU load when using hyperthreading for H.264 playback (each CPU approx. 50%). If not, try to activate dual processor usage for DVBViewer GE in the Task Manager.

We have got some results now. Without special measures the CPU load is not balanced, as Klausing experienced. He was able to force it by activating dual processor usage for DVBViewer GE in the Task Manager, but after rebuilding the filter graph it was gone again. I'd like to know wether this applies to your PC too.

However, we have found something that forces dual processor usage resp. a balanced load under all conditions.

...well well...sorry if I answer only now...I tried first without the Dual CPU in GE, but of course the graphic under Task Manager is completely unbalanced and only the 1st CPU is really working...with the Dual CPU active in the GE options (option "use only 1st CPU" not marked), then the graphic become balanced but obviousely the 1st CPU have a higher profile and the usage % get stable between 57 to 61/2 %...and the image is not really as fluent as a normal pal or even a HD mpeg2 channel but still watchable and the DVBViewer proggy remain stable and controllable (can change options and channels without problems)...only if I change the Moonlight H264 panel option "Performance" to the normal "Obey quality Message" then the load become heavy and everithing get slowy :(

BTW are u sure there are no "better" decoding codecs ? I'm of course no expert, but I've read around about Storm Codec 5.05 for h264...just to know what u think about it :)

Tnx.

Edited by giorusso
Storm Codec 5.05 for h264
have you a link? Or you mean the codec pack?

Codec packs are not recommend !

...I think it's the orginal codec in the RC2 version...I found these by searching with google...it's a 12Mb installation file...

This 12MB file is a codec pack which contains several codecs include an old Moonlight h264 codec.

This codec pack is one of the best ways to destroy the directshow part of your multimedia system......

I could not find (on the whole internet) a codec which was developed or named by STORM and can play h264!

...now I understand what u meant...I didn't dwlded this pack, just asked...so 4 h264 at the moment there's only the Moonlight solution ?

Moonlight and Mainconcept. the (for me) only known working directshow decoder.

Is the Twinhan DTV Cab-CI supported with this version? I can see the Terrestial(EUR) root in Channel Scan window but nothing happens when I press the scan button.

...well well...sorry if I answer only now...I tried first without the Dual CPU in GE, but of course the graphic under Task Manager is completely unbalanced and only the 1st CPU is really working...with the Dual CPU active in the GE options (option "use only 1st CPU" not marked), then the graphic become balanced but obviousely the 1st CPU have a higher profile and the usage % get stable between 57 to 61/2 %..

Hi.

The cumulative load, with 1 or 2 cpu, is never greater that 50%. It would just seem that the code is not written for SMP or HT, apparently resources are kept locked by the active Cpu.

BTW: My P4 HT 2.4 GHZ, overclocked at 2.98, renders only about 4-5 frames per second, even increasing the task priority to realtime!

Rgds

Edited by ginacman
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Today i tried the GE edition which looks fine, it is faster and more stable than the full release.

Is there a possibility for someone to translate it in English?

Thank you.

Plus i get an error when i try to open a channel -> "Cannot load DVBViewer Filter, error: 0x80040154 (unknown error code.)

Edited by aktizol
Plus i get an error when i try to open a channel -> "Cannot load DVBViewer Filter,

Still? Is there a file PushSource.ax in DVBViewer GE\Filters?

Plus i get an error when i try to open a channel -> "Cannot load DVBViewer Filter,

Still? Is there a file PushSource.ax in DVBViewer GE\Filters?

i installed the pro 3.2.1 and there is no problem with the filter in GE

Strange. DVBViewer GE is supposed to register the filter by itself (provided it is present in DVBViewer GE\Filters), if it can not be loaded. I'll check that.

It's true - DVBViewer GE 1.5.5 doesn't register the DVBViewer Filter when it is launched, causing the above mentioned error message, if no DVBViewer Pro or previous DVBViewer GE Version had been installed before.

Remedy: Get the RadLigth Filter Manager from the Service Center, click "Register" and select the file DVBViewer GE\Filters\PushSource.ax.

Version 1.6 with some fixes will be uploaded this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Griga

I can to have some information on the functionalities of DVBViewer GE 1.6.x with the tests Radios RDS on ARD?

I would want to try it. ;)

Thanks for yours the attention !!! :blink:

Very simple:

- Scan 12265 H on Astra 19° East with DVBViewer GE or the latest TransEdit version. Most of the 68 German radio stations on this transponder provide RDS. They are marked with a special icon in the channellist window (a small T in the upper left corner).

...or, if the channels are already present, activate Channel/Auto Update, for letting DVBViewer GE detect RDS.

- Tune them. If they broadcast RDS, (RDS) is appended to the channel name in the status line.

- After the next RDS update the text will appear in the OSD (provided you didn't switch it off for radio mode), or in the status line after clicking the channel name.

Sorry for replying so late. I was offline for some days, due to serious trouble with my hard disk.

Sorry for replying so late. I was offline for some days, due to serious trouble with my hard disk.

Thanks Griga for your availability.... ;)

I have tried this evening, you have made an optimal work !!! ;)

Best regards

Edited by arci
  • 4 weeks later...

Please, please, please support the Starbox (Twinhan DVB-S, USB2).

That would be very useful for users like me with not so strong Notebooks.

Is there a chance, Griga?

I can give you any help as a tester.