Commercial Detection

hackbart

Shame on me, the plugin is quite "old" but while reading one article i remembered that Lars and I did some plugin in summer which works together with comskip.

For those who do not know about it:

Comskip is an open source tool produced by the sage community. It is quite handy while detecting commercial breaks within mpeg files.

The attached DVBViewer plugin allows to communicate with it inside the DVBViewer.

The most complicated thing is to set up comskip, but luckily the sage community made some wikki about it.

Christian

Comskip.zip

• 1 month later...

Hallo Christian,

seit kurzem expirmentiere ich mit comskip und habe gestern Deinen Beitrag gelesen. Mit großer Begeisterung habe ich das Plugin instaliert. Leider habe ich noch nicht geschafft, es zum laufen zu bringen.

-> Ich habe das Zip-File in das Hauptverzeicnis entpackt.

-> Nach dem beenden einer Aufnahme meldet mir ein Fenster, dass keine gültige Datei übergeben wurde.

Was habe ich falsch gemacht?

Gruß und Danke

Christian

P.S. Ich benutze den aktuellen DVBViewer pro.

• 1 year later...
Shame on me, the plugin is quite "old" but while reading one article i remembered that Lars and I did some plugin in summer which works together with comskip.

For those who do not know about it:

Comskip is an open source tool produced by the sage community. It is quite handy while detecting commercial breaks within mpeg files.

The attached DVBViewer plugin allows to communicate with it inside the DVBViewer.

The most complicated thing is to set up comskip, but luckily the sage community made some wikki about it.

Christian

Hmmmm . . . I'm VERY familiar with Comskip (use it with GBPVR for quite some time), but the documentation included for DVBViewer is insufficient -- for example, WHERE do the contents of the zipfile go? Place the majority (the ones with no folder specified) in the "DVBViewer" main install directory, and the other two files shown in the "Scripts" folder go in the "DVBViewer/Scripts" folder? Or do the "unspecified" files go in the "DVBViewer/Plugins" folder?

I ask because I've tired it BOTH ways and I have found NO way to ativate Comskip -- Comskip doesn't show up as a selectable Plugin under the "Plugin" menu option, and I know of no other way to activate a script. I've done a search for "Plugins" and "Scripts" and so far I've found nothing that might help.

Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated!

:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello to all. Pardon by the language, I am Spanish.

I am trying to use this program and I am not able. When executing it says "No valid parameter given! " , that I am making bad. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Any chance of an update to this plugin?

With Recording service we can create a task to run comskip with the recording, but I think we need some way for DVBViewer to understand the comskip files and be able to use them to skip through commercials.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of an update to this plugin?

With Recording service we can create a task to run comskip with the recording, but I think we need some way for DVBViewer to understand the comskip files and be able to use them to skip through commercials.

Oh, that would be a sweet feature. Imagine if devs could make DVBViewer/RS abled to read for example .VPrj videoredo files, then DVBViewer/RS would take care of removing the commercials for us. For example by start and stop the recording (or graph on Live-TV) when the VPrj specifies it. This would also work on Live-TV, but to accomplish that I suppose it would require an unknown amount of delay cuz if not, DVBViewer/RS would only replace the commercial space with black frames and in such a situation I would prefer having the commercials.

If implementing such a feature it would require a new function in RS where it would be possible to run it as a PRE-recording-task or pre-record action, which fires up Comskip which starts making the VPrj file. RS then reads the cutmarkers from the VPrj on the fly and acts accordingly. A VPrj looks like this:

<Version>2

<Filename>e:\comskip\magnum.ts

<VideoStreamPID>4102

<AudioStreamPID>4358

<Cut>0:1015600000

<Cut>8240800000:8572800000

<Cut>15680800000:16052800000

<Cut>29676800000:31194800000

<SceneMarker 0>276800000

<SceneMarker 1>584400000

<SceneMarker 2>685200000

<SceneMarker 3>765200000

<SceneMarker 4>1015600000

<SceneMarker 5>8240400000

<SceneMarker 6>8312000000

<SceneMarker 7>8482000000

<SceneMarker 8>8572800000

<SceneMarker 9>15680400000

<SceneMarker 10>15752400000

<SceneMarker 11>15942400000

<SceneMarker 12>16052800000

<SceneMarker 13>29676400000

<SceneMarker 14>29776000000

<SceneMarker 15>29856000000

<SceneMarker 16>30656000000

<SceneMarker 17>31194800000

Edited by majstang

Hmm, i suppose the reason why nobody of the team works on a comskip plugin is caused by the fact that other features are more important. Anyway i don't think it is soo complicated to build a timer job for the recording service in order to analyze the recordings in the background. Same with a plugin script which does the same. I'm not sure but there is a osd bookmark function for videos inside the DVBViewer Com-Interface.

So before nagging, feel free to create such a thing.

I dont think it needs to be as complicated as that majstang.

Per my PM:

In my view the ideal solution inside DVBViewer would be for:

- RS to be able to automatically run comskip (with options) during or after recording (comskip will create corresponding files along side the recording files themselves)

- DVBViewer to be able to read the generated comskip files during playback of a recording, and use skip buttons to move to next/previous commercial start/end point.

Im pretty sure this is the way it works in mediaportal and gbpvr/npvr

VideoRedo should be kept separate (and of course can read the generated comskip files) and used for permanent removal of the ads.

I dont think it needs to be as complicated as that majstang.

Per my PM:

In my view the ideal solution inside DVBViewer would be for:

- RS to be able to automatically run comskip (with options) during or after recording (comskip will create corresponding files along side the recording files themselves)

- DVBViewer to be able to read the generated comskip files during playback of a recording, and use skip buttons to move to next/previous commercial start/end point.

Im pretty sure this is the way it works in mediaportal and gbpvr/npvr

VideoRedo should be kept separate (and of course can read the generated comskip files) and used for permanent removal of the ads.

Yes, this is an excellent and pretty much the simplest solution. I'm quite sure this is how the comskip plugin for DVBViewer, that nobody seem to remember how to apply, worked. I still think, with the introduction of RS, there is a great opportunity here to take the comskip functionality even futher by integrating comskip compatibility with the DVBViewer recording engine and as an end result get completely commercial free recordings (in real-time) when the recording timer stops, making it unnecessary to involve Videoredo entirely. This would be a dreamsolution for us using MPC-HC as the fileplayer of choice. I prefer that player in front of DVBViewer, cuz I think it is a bit better still, but with such a comskip plugin you are talking about...DVBViewer fileplayer here I come :biggrin:

However, with such a solution I'm talking about, there is a risk of getting irrevocable badly fragmented recordings if not setting up comskip right before executing the task. Pondering this complication I do think the solution you advocate, along with the SageTV and Mediaportal community, is the best one.

:bye:

Edited by majstang
  • 1 year later...