Nova-S nothing

Luuk

Hi,

I just switched from Pinnacle 400e to Nova-S PCI card (using DVBViewer 3.2.6) connceted to a twin LNB-satellite disc. I get no picture/sound or epg at all. Could someone tell me what I should choose under DirectX. With my USB Pinnacle device this showed up there. Now I see only DVB file device; Unicast Network Device and Multicast Network Device. Shouldn't the Hauppage card be listed here?

Luuk

Shouldn't the Hauppage card be listed here?

Yes, provided a BDA driver is installed properly.

Nova S-Plus DiSEqC support is provided by DVBViewer GE 1.8.1 Beta (see members area, Beta Section) - not yet implemented in DVBViewer Pro. It requires the latest BDA driver 2.4. However, there is only one tester up to now who confirmed that it works - maybe you are the second... :(

Ok, but please explain. Why is the Hauppage Nova S listed as being supported when it actually isn't? Where do I get a BDA driver for this card? and finally, didn't you say earlier that the BDA driver doesn't support DiseqC support?

Griga,

I am afraid I am still stuck. I have the Nova-S card, not the Nova-S Plus one and this card does not use a bda driver (its driver is called "ttdvblcd.sys").

Luuk

The Nova-S is based on TechoTrend design, so probably a TechnoTrend BDA driver will do the job (but without DiSEqC support in DVBViewer yet).

Links I've found:

http://www.technotrend.de/english/download/download.html

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=2604

Or this, from the Geman computer magazine c't:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/64841

Hauppauge dürfte wenig erfreut über TechnoTrends Offerte sein, basiert Hauppauges alte DVB-S-Karte Nova-S doch auf dem TechnoTrend-Design und läuft mit dem kostenlosen Treiber, sodass für Besitzer der Satelliten-Karte nun kein Grund mehr besteht, für den Umstieg auf die MCE Geld für die Nova-S Plus auszugeben.

Saying: "Hauppauge will not be pleased by the TechnoTrend offering, since the old Nova-S from Hauppauge is based on TechnoTrend design and works with the free driver, so there is no more reason for owners of this satellite card who want to use Windows MCE to spend money for the Nova-S Plus."

BDA is mandatory for Windows MCE....there you are. Good luck!

Of course not. BDA is essential. Or you use a technisat card or a twinhan, they work native, everthing else is bda.

I just checked with my Nova-S non-Plus and latest BDA drivers from the Technotrend web page:

DVBViewer GE 1.8.1 works, but NO DISEQC !!! Same for DVBViewer Pro 3.2.6 :(

Thanks to all of you. I found the bda drivers and they work, but as some of you said, no switching between LNBs, not even with the beta version. At least, as a friend of mine always says, this is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Luuk

DVBViewer GE 1.8.1 works, but NO DISEQC !!!

Sure. The problem is this:

- Microsoft, who created the Broadcast Driver Architecture, didn't specify how to send DiSEqC commands to a DVB-S card via this interface.

- Due to this, all manufacturers implement DiSEqC in a different way.

- It's difficult to get the specifications from the manufacturers, since they often handle it as a business secret. :(

However, I have some information about the TechnoTrend DisEqC implementation (well, I rather should say "rumours"), and there is already generic support for it in DVBViewer GE 1.8.

Generic means, it may be possible to add DiSEqC support by providing additional data in a DiSEqC.ini file. I don't know exactly which kind of data and if it will work at all. But if I find users (not consumers!) who are willing to run some tests, without promise for success.... maybe we get somewhere.

Generic means, it may be possible to add DiSEqC support by providing additional data in a DiSEqC.ini file. I don't know exactly which kind of data and if it will work at all. But if I find users (not consumers!) who are willing to run some tests, without promise for success.... maybe we get somewhere.

I am willing to do so. Also, I am a software developer and have decades of experience in programming. So I can check some things out with the proper advice.

Ok, fine. I've done some further researches in the meantime, and there are new insights that make it a bit more promising. However, it requires some additional coding, and my family keeps me busy at the moment - you'll receive a PM ASAP.

Ok, fine. I've done some further researches in the meantime, and there are new insights that make it a bit more promising. However, it requires some additional coding, and my family keeps me busy at the moment - you'll receive a PM ASAP.

Fine. BTW: I also have a CI/CAM for the Nova-S as well as a Twinhanh Vision DTV, but that one already works very nicely. I am just hoping to get the other card working as well. Having multituner support for both would also be interesting, so once thats on the horizon I can test that as well.

Regards, Mark

Having multituner support for both would also be interesting,

Already provided by DVBViewer GE Beta 1.8.1 (no CI support for Twinhan yet). The DVBViewer Pro devs are heavily working on it. A first internal test version will be available soon.

DiSEqC support for the NOVA-S with TechnoTrend BDA driver seems to work now - already provided by DVBViewer GE 1.8.2 Beta (see members area, beta section)... thanks to markymark. We went through some trials and errors, but finally it did what it was supposed to do.

@Luuk: Would be nice if you could run additional tests and confirm that it's working.

In the next DVBViewer Pro release it will be added too, I suppose.