Work in Progress :)

hackbart

Hi,

you might be ask what is currently in the work. The progress steps are incredible:

First of all the Multicard handling: Lars and Griga created an fantastic Hardware administration algorithm which deals with multiple DVB-S, -C, -T, ATSC devices at the same time. this means practically you can handle all of your dvb devices at the same time inside the DVBViewer. For example you can record dvb-t while watching dvb-s, or you record -c, -s and -t while playing a dvd. We are testing at moment almost every possibilty in order to find bugs, but appallingly even in this beta stage it works like charme.

Further on we are working on a fully EIA 708 compliant Closed Captioning support. Right now it works, but as the other feature above - it is in beta stage.

Anyhow it is a bigger step from the current to the next version than from any other release to a newer one in the past.

Christian

First of all the Multicard handling:

Excelent, shall it work also with two similar DVB-T cards at the same time so that simultaneus recordings from two mux is possible ?

I also wish that even it is much more fun to create new features that there would be high priority also for fixing and solving old exsisting problems, like how program works with subtitles (recordings if they start before Pid is send, timeshift with subtitles etc.)

Anyway DVBW is fantastic program and good luck for further develpoment

shall it work also with two similar DVB-T cards at the same time so that simultaneus recordings from two mux is possible ?

Sure. Even with cards that are not similar, e.g. DVB-T and DVB-S... all kinds of combinations. Can already be tested with DVBViewer GE 1.8.1 beta (members area, beta section).

Or with three cards, if you can't get enough... :blink:

Guest Lars_MQ
I also wish that even it is much more fun to create new features that there would be high priority also for fixing and solving old exsisting problems, like how program works with subtitles (recordings if they start before Pid is send, timeshift with subtitles etc.)

Well some things are not as easily done as written. If there were a solution, which doesn't require a complete rewrite of certain parts of the viewer, it would have been implemented.

And to be honest, for me as a "sparetime und for fun" programmer, it's much more important to me to have multituner recordings than dvbsubs (nobody transmits them anyway in my reception area). Subs is something Christian has to take care of (and of course I will support him where needed). :blink:

It is possible to record from as many cards (no matter what reception system) as your system can handle (with the internal recording engine). The VRP can only record on the transponder/mux currently viewed, (limitation of the plugin interface) and if you use the VRP you can only watch the recorded Mux. With the internal recorder you can switch between all recorded muxes.

Even with cards that are not similar

Have you tested also it with Airstar2 card (I read somewhere that there would be somethingh in the driver that was making a conflict) is that solved ?

And to be honest, for me as a "sparetime und for fun" programmer, it's much more important to me to have multituner recordings than dvbsubs (nobody transmits them anyway in my reception area). .

I can easily understand your opinion. But here in Finland they don't dub movies so Humbrey Bogart will sound like him and movies/ programsn are with subtexts. (fortunately, almost 100% of population is able to read and in my opinion movies with "local" revoicing are terrible but that is ofcource an other thing)

Guest Lars_MQ

Just forget the bullshit I wrote. :)

I came to realize (with Christians help) that the stuff made for multituner, made a dynamic PMT update not only possible but quite easy and elegant.

So now the PMT is examined every 5 seconds and if there are new Audio or Subtitle PIDs they are added dynamically to a tsrecording. I hope this solves the problems for our finnish friends. :arrow:

After Christian approves my changes, we will need a volunteer from finnland to test it. You don't happen to know one? ;)

As for the Technisat cards: Unfortunatly it's until now not possible to use more than one Sky/Air/Cablestar with the DVBViewer (even with the upcoming multicard driver). But it is possible to use one Card per DVBViewer instance (like the trick the GE 1.7 did). This applies only to the above mentioned cards due to driver restrictions, but we are in contact with the programmer and hopefully find a solution for it...

Further on we are working on a fully EIA 708 compliant Closed Captioning support. Right now it works, but as the other feature above - it is in beta stage.

..hmm, who is waiting for this? Maybe some users will make use of it in ntsc/atsc transmission systems. Here in old europe we're not even able to answer questions why the DVBViewer won't scan transponders on sats like nimiq et al. :arrow:

..hmm, who is waiting for this?

TechniSat. For its Air2PC ATSC card, that is sold in the USA with DVBViewer TE. AFAIK the ability to display subtitles becomes mandatory by law.

After Christian approves my changes, we will need a voluntier from finnland to test it. You don't happen to know one? :arrow:

If you need one to test if it works with subtitles I am voluntier to help (with Airstar2 and DVB-T) and I belive that several others who has been active about subtitles in this forum from Finland a are too.

Good news!

I'm currently running an (old) SkyStar 2 and would like to have the 2-Cards setup in place.

Can you recommend a second card (PCI), which will run fine with the SS2?

Regards,

klaus.

After Christian approves my changes, we will need a volunteer from finnland to test it. You don't happen to know one? :arrow:

Well, you can count me to the volunteers too!

Fantastic News, really.

Thank you on more for this program.

For this new feature, I have just one questions from Newbies, sorry...

I have 2 card :

- Hauppauge Nova T (never work also fine than with your program)

- and SS2.

Does it possible for exemple to watch or reccord one of these cards and in same time broadcast on my personal network other card with DVBServer ?

Thanks You.

Christophe95

Guest Lars_MQ

Yes it's also possible. The Server and the viewer can "share" the card (not really share but one program knows which card the other is using and doesn't use it). The is dynamic, so if the server doesn't need the card anymore the viewer card use it.

Here also one volunteer for beta testing.

2 Twinhan DVB-T cards and one Nebula.

Now watching TV with 2 Topfied DVB-C boxes, because got tired in waiting for a working PC software, but still have the pc's and cards installed.

A few words for considering the importance of working multi-language audio and subtitles:

Analog TV transmissions end in Finland after exactly 598 days now and same happening gradually in Sweden already now.

Over 5 million digi-TV systems will be sold next year in both countries and seems nobody is interested in selling working PC cards and software to us. Scandinavian customers are willing to pay a good price but only if the system works.

The set-top boxes like Topfield are selling hot already now, so most PC software houses are soon missing this train.

How about timeshifting with teletext subtitles, is it going to work in the next release?

I'm currently timeshifting in the following way: start recording with VRP and then immediately start viewing the file with DVBViewer. Works perfectly. I understood that using VRP will prevent watching channels with other cards. This essentially makes the new multicard functionality useless for me. Therefore it is very important for me to get the most useful feature working: timeshifting.

Seems that currently it is not possible to use the same method with the internal recorder (start recording and immediately after that start viewing the file being recorded). Will that be possible in the next release? That would be second best solution if the subtitles work in viewing the recorded file.

Guest Lars_MQ
Seems that currently it is not possible to use the same method with the internal recorder (start recording and immediately after that start viewing the file being recorded). Will that be possible in the next release?

Where did you get that?? Of course this is possible since a long time. And if you record as a ts stream, you can record ttx also.

I was wrong, sorry. Concurrent recording and playing the same file works fine with internal recorder. Teletext subtitles work as well.

Why do you not implement timeshifting that way?

Just to share with you,

I test it with one computer with 2 boards :

Nova T and SS2 and SS2 with double head on exit so with Diseq.

All works perfectly,

I can change channel easely without problem between these 2 board, in same time, I can also broadcast on one of these card during recorder or watch on other.

Just one thing don't work for me, but i need to test one more, I can't change channel between Hotbird and Astra on SS2, but it's possible to do it without problem with Pro version, so probably some mistake from my part.

Really Perfect Work. My dream is coming....

Thanks

After Christian approves my changes, we will need a volunteer from finnland to test it. You don't happen to know one? :)

I would also like to join beta testing. Living in finland. Hardware: Nova-T USB 2. Using my notebook as portable TV, so signal level are not always that good. :wacko:

Just to share with you,

I test it with one computer with 2 boards :

Nova T and SS2 and SS2 with double head on exit so with Diseq.

All works perfectly,

I can change channel easely without problem between these 2 board, in same time, I can also broadcast on one of these card during recorder or watch on other.

Just one thing don't work for me, but i need to test one more, I can't change channel between Hotbird and Astra on SS2, but it's possible to do it without problem with Pro version, so probably some mistake from my part.

Really Perfect Work. My dream is coming....

Thanks

Mistake from my part, It work I forget to change simpleA and Simple B in disecq.

After Christian approves my changes, we will need a volunteer from finnland to test it. You don't happen to know one? :wacko:

I would also like to be beta tester. Live in Finland and have AirStar2.

I think in the next weeks we will upload a beta to the public. It is really scary what we added in the last days. From multituner over playback of dvb subtitle playback in recordings and up to closed caption subtitles. Today i even added a ATSC EIT parser. I'm not sure, but i think the DVBViewer is the first windows application which offers real atsc event information (i added this today :wacko: )

Christian