16:9 format detection

C0nker

I don't know, if it has been a topic here but I think it would be a great feature:

Could you add a function that zooms the view, if it detects a 16:9 film, such on pro sieben or rtl?

if it detects a 16:9 film, such on pro sieben or rtl?

Pro Sieben, RTL etc. don't broadcast 16:9. It's 4:3 with black bars - dig it: They broadcast the black bars. They are part of the picture.

What you want is automatic cropping of the black bars. Requires analyzing the decoded pictures (25 per second) and seaching for the upper and lower edge of the desired content, without being fooled by advertising, channel logos etc. Not so easy...

Perhaps it is not that difficult at all!

At least for watching TV:

Certain stations transmitt 4:3 with black ars. We know these stations. Now one could take 1 picture every 2 or 3 seconds, perhaps only every 5 minutes. So at 20.00, on 20.05, on 20.10, on 20.15 oclock andso on.

Now we have 20 pictures at 20.15 oclock.

It should easily be possible to check the first 50 and the last 50 lines if they are mainly black. If they are it is very likely a 4:3 picture wih 16:9 content, so it could be zoomed in...

---

Notations:

- For movies normaly do not start at 20.14 oclock, but 20.15 it is enough to do this in 5 minutes.

- For the first pictures could also be the logo of the studio (eg. Paramount <=> United Internatinal Pictures), where the studio logo is mainly black, it is necessary to do thos for about 20 seconds, when the main movie starts...

You know what I mean?

We know these stations.

For movies normaly do not start at 20.14 oclock, but 20.15 it is enough to do this in 5 minutes.

DVBViewer is used world-wide. Do you know all these channels? Do you want us to create X localized versions? Get out of your village and think globaly!

I remember once when I used dscaler about 2 years ago - it had the possibility to auto zoom/crop the picture. It worked like a charm. So it is possible. Just a matter of finding the right way to do it. It would be a major kewl feature never the less :arrow:

/Elo

Guest Lars_MQ

Of course its possible, I use this technique for the video preview generation to find non black frames. But it's quite cpu costly and the big amount of work to be invested into such a feature is for sure not worth the effort.