Best MPEG2 decoder?

T39andcountin

Hi,

I've been using DVBViewer for a while, and although it works great with most channels, a couple slowly stop working (get increasingly jerky) until either the app crashes or I change channels in frustration! Usually if I change straight back it's happy again for another few minutes, but if i'm recording, it usually crashes and I loose the rest of the program.

Looking at the forums I think that my MPEG2 decoder may be causing this issue. What's the best to use. Currently I have the following:

MPEG2 Video Decoders:

---------------------

RAVISENT Cinemaster DS Video Decoder: 0068F000

InterVideo NonCSS Video Decoder for Hauppauge: 00400000

MPEG Audio Decoders:

---------------------

MPEG Audio Decoder: 03680001

RAVISENT Cinemaster DS Audio Decoder: 006002EA

InterVideo NonCSS Audio Decoder for Hauppauge: 00400000

AMD Athlon 1800+

512MB RAM

Hauppauge Nova-T card

Well that is a million dollar question ;)

If you look at this post:http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10855, you will se that I have similar questin.

As Griga answered to my question, you can get some nice results with new Cyberlink codec and ATI graphic card. To get that codec just download and install PowerDVD6 from Cyberlink site.

I have tried NVIDIA codec wich is also very qood and have qood quallity picture on ATIs card so I asume it should be even better if you have NVIDIA card.

These are only some suggestions, but to find the answer to your question you will most likely have to experiment with various codecs and maybe graphic card drivers.

You should not have to many codecs installed because some of them may be in conflict.

Keep in mind that not all uninstallations of codecs are clean. So use this software: http://www.radlight.org/products/filter_manager/index.php, to check for uninstall codec leftovers (look at directshow section of the program).

Also the problem you are describeing is often with cracked versions of DVBViewer.

PS(I am NOT suggesting that you are using cracked version)

I hope you'll solve your problem,

Sasa

Edited by sasha

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for the info! The graphics card I'm using is a 64mb ATI Radeon 7000, (forgot to mention that on my original post!).

I'm sure I'm not using a crached version of DVBViewer... I downloaded it from the members area! The version I'm using is V3.2.6.69

Ok,

I hope you did'nt get mi wrong. I was telling you info about cracked version because I've recently bought DVB card and was experimenting with various DVB player to find out wich one is most sutable for my needs. During that time I've found out that DVBViewer is the one I am looking for, but the cracked version I tried was behavoring the same way that you described. Then, yesterday I have bought DVBViewer and I am very pleased with it.

The only issue I have right know is similar to yours and that is: selecting the right codec and graphic card driver.

So check you grapics driver. For purpuse of watching sat television I am using ATI 9250 wich is the low perfomance card like yours. I have a little better results with modified ATI's driver because it doesnt need system hoging .NET framework to function properly and it has an option to select real TV resolution for TV output.

I suggest you look at this address: http://www.omegadrivers.net/

If you decide to try solving problem with driver change, you should do something like this:

- First unistall all codecs and use radlight filter manager to be sure they are gone.

- Then uninstall graphic card driver

- Then install omega driver and install back you codecs (try cyberlik codec I was talking about and select overlay in DVBViewer directx settings)

Sasa

Edited by sasha

I've forgot to tell you something.

When I've downlaoded and installed DVBViewer it came with preloaded channels from Astra and Hotbird satellites. Some channels woudnl't open and some other did, but veru slowely. For an example: VIVA, VIVA PLUS, BBC world wouldnt open at all. But when I've deleted all channels and setup my LNB equimpent in DVBViewer, then done rescan of this satellites, this channels worked perfectly.

So if you have more then one LNB using DiseQ and didnt setup and scan channels yourself maybe you should try something like this.