DVD audio (stream) selection too limited

daffy

Hola,

I finally am trying to use DVBViewer as a Media Center "application" - so expect some more defect reports in that area like:

The DVD audio (stream) selection that is offered for multi-language DVDs is too limited.

I have this wonderful DVD "Ein Schweinchen namens Babe" here, with dubbing in the following languages:

* Englisch

* Französisch

* Deutsch

* Schwyzerdütsch

* Österreichisch

(it's a special, somewhat obscure edition) Well, so DVBViewer only displays

* Englisch

* Französisch

* Deutsch

in its list of audio tracks - which is a pity, considering that the "Österreichisch" version is ever so slightly ROTFL than the more heart-breaking plain "Deutsch" version :)

Now, I do realize that all of the three German variants are showing up as "de" audio channels, and that, for instance, Windows MediaPlayer shows me three times the entry "Deutsch" but - hey - at least it gives me the option to poke around, something that DVBViewer does not allow.

Request: Please, do show all three "Deutsch" tracks. :-)

Below is edited output from IfoEdit - just to prove that the tracks are there...

VMG Overview:

Video Manager Menu attributes:

Video: MPEG-2 720x576 (PAL) (PAL 625/50) (4:3) (not specified perm.display)

SubPicture 1: Not Specified (2-bit rle )

Number of Title Play Maps: 3 (VMG_PTT_SRPT)

Title 1: VTS_01_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 17) (Start Sector 874)

Title 2: VTS_02_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 2) (Start Sector 2231140)

Title 3: VTS_03_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 2) (Start Sector 2241074)

Number of Video Title Sets on this DVD: 3 (VMG_VTS_ATRT)

Title Set 1:

VTS_1 Video: MPEG-2 720x576 (PAL) (PAL 625/50) (16:9) (letterboxed)

VTS_1 Audio 1: English (Dolby AC-3) 6ch 48Kbps DRC

VTS_1 Audio 2: Français (Dolby AC-3) 6ch 48Kbps DRC

VTS_1 Audio 3: Deutsch (Dolby AC-3) 2ch 48Kbps DRC

VTS_1 Audio 4: Deutsch (Dolby AC-3) 2ch 48Kbps DRC

VTS_1 Audio 5: Deutsch (Dolby AC-3) 2ch 48Kbps DRC

VTS_1 SubPicture 1: English (2-bit rle )

VTS_1 SubPicture 2: Français (2-bit rle )

VTS_1 SubPicture 3: Deutsch (2-bit rle )

I know that movie :)

The issue may be caused by avoiding double entries for a certain language (same LCID reported by the DVD navigator).

DVBViewer GE does it, since I have a Harry Potter DVD with three English audio tracks reported by the DVD navigator, though the DVD menu only displays one. I couldn't determine any difference between them, so I decided to drop double entries in general.

DVBViewer Pro does it in the same way, I suppose, thus missing the two additional German tracks.

However, "Schweinchen Babe" sheds a new light on it, so I'll probably change it.

Guest Lars_MQ

I checked it. In the OSD Code there is no limiting in one LCID. In fact the code asks the idvdinfo2 for all available languages and adds them into the selection menu.

for i := 0 to DVD_GetAudioCount - 1 do
       dlg.Addlabel(DVD_GetAudioLanguage(i), i, false);
     i := DVD_GetAudioCurrent;

So I'm quite sure if it is not shown in the OSD Part, it's a limitation of the IDVDInfo2 means DVDNavigator Interface.

I know that movie  :)

Try the Austrian version. Then come back. It's an entirely different movie :-) I am still looking for the DVD of "Schweinchen Babe in der großen Stadt" - in Austrian, of course!

DVBViewer GE does it, since I have a Harry Potter DVD with three English audio tracks reported by the DVD navigator, though the DVD menu only displays one. I couldn't determine any difference between them, so I decided to drop double entries in general.

Try running IfoEdit on the DVD - it might show differences in audio stream encoding? In that case, it might be helpful for the menu to show the encoding?

However, "Schweinchen Babe" sheds a new light on it, so I'll probably change it.

Dös Schweinderl tuat goanz herzlich grunzen!

In the OSD Code there is no limiting in one LCID.

Well, not in the OSD code. But have a look at URDVD (or UVideo?), where the audio tracks are retrieved. I've seen the "no duplicates" code in the DVBViewer Pro source some time ago, so I guess it's still there.

Maybe there is no LCID for Schwyzerdütsch?

Looking at the IfoEdit output and at what Windows MediaPlayer shows, I suspect that the tracks really are flagged as "DE" - without any indication whatsoever of the swiss-ness or austria-ness.

Daffy how exactly did you choose the dvd language in the Pro? via Menu or OSD-Blue -> audiomenu?

Via the menu: Settings -> Audio

Unfortunately I do not know how to accomplish this from the OSD - and I don't know whether my OSD menus are still configured appropriately to actually allow me to do anything ;-)

Guest Lars_MQ

Well the Menu thingy does kick "double" entries. The OSD stuff not.

It's a PITA to test the stuff, cause the decoders are complaining about an active debugger, so I have to use some obscure decoders to get where I want. :)

Well the Menu thingy does kick "double" entries.

Ha! :)

so I have to use some obscure decoders

This one is ok for this purpose. Needs video format detection ticked because it doesn't like resolution changes without being reconnected.

Try running IfoEdit on the DVD - it might show differences in audio stream encoding?

Done. There is an additional English 2ch audio track. But the DVD navigator doesn't allow to select it while playing the DVD. IDVDControl.SelectAudioStream failes. Maybe the graph has to be stopped and reconnected for an audio format change? Well, I'll look after it if someone complains about it... :)

Furthermore, there is a second German subtitle track. It can be selected, but I can see no difference between the first and the second.

However, DVBViewer GE will show all tracks in the coming 1.8.4 release.

Number of Video Title Sets on this DVD: 1   (VMG_VTS_ATRT)  
    Title Set 1:  
     VTS_1 Video: MPEG-2 720x576 (PAL) (PAL 625/50) (16:9) (letterboxed)  
     VTS_1 Audio 1:      English              (Dolby AC-3) 6ch 48Kbps DRC        
     VTS_1 Audio 2:      Deutsch              (Dolby AC-3) 6ch 48Kbps DRC        
     VTS_1 Audio 3:      Nederlands           (Dolby AC-3) 6ch 48Kbps DRC        
     VTS_1 Audio 4:      English              (Dolby AC-3) 2ch 48Kbps DRC        
     VTS_1 SubPicture 1: English              (2-bit rle )  
     VTS_1 SubPicture 2: Deutsch              (2-bit rle )  
     VTS_1 SubPicture 3: Nederlands           (2-bit rle )  
     VTS_1 SubPicture 4: Deutsch              (2-bit rle )  

How about looking for the dvb_component_descriptors for the audio tracks? I know, that it's more a question for the Pro cos the GE doesn't support CI yet ;)

the 2nd audio track is in englisch :)

50 -> component_descriptor
10 -> 16 bytes
0F -> reserved for future use
01 -> stream_content +
03 -> component_type -> video, 16:9 aspect ratio without pan vectors, 25 Hz
02 -> component_tag
444555 -> ISO 639 language code: DEU
Bildformat
0D -> 13 bytes
02 -> stream_content +
03 -> component_type -> audio, stereo (2 channel)
03 -> component_tag
deutsch
0E -> 14 bytes
02 -> stream_content +
03 -> component_type -> audio, stereo (2 channel)
06 -> component_tag
englisch
17 -> 23 bytes
02 -> stream_content +
05 -> component_type -> audio, surround sound
07 -> component_tag
Dolby Digital 5.1

Premiere yes, but error no ;) It's about component descriptors.. (without reception we know a lot about P's HDTV in DVB-S2 thanks to the EIT and the descriptors ;) )

Guest Lars_MQ

Don't understand what your problem is. premiere doesn't mark the english track als english but deu, so it's not a problem of the viewer. Or do you think the viewer takes the pmt, disassembles it and put fake descriptors in it? the pmt PID is just another callback with ts packages and is saved like it's delivered from the driver.

Don't understand what your problem is. premiere doesn't mark the english track als english but deu, so it's not a problem of the viewer.

..that depends on what you want. If you want to introduce a preferred language in the DVBViewer, you have to read the component descriptors ( -> ets300468)

Guest Lars_MQ

Well I think we stop this diskussion now, cause here is only about DVD and the different audiostreams. (absolutly descriptors free ;))

The DVB audio stuff is another construction site ;)

But your're right and we will talk about it in another thread, if the time comes to put this together ;)