Recommended Card

marcdbl

I'm very interested in replacing my current DVB-t PCI card (which is not compatible with DVBViewer) with a different one, just so I can use DVBViewer as it looks better than anything else out there.

I notice that there seems to be various problems reported on this forum with many of the supported cards.

Is there a card that seems to be the most reliable when used with DVBViewer? I'd like to make sure I get the best one possible.

Thanks for any suggestions,

marc

Hauppauge Nova-t PCI. Stable BDA drivers, cheap as most of the other cards now, and the remote can be configured to control DVBViewer quite easily.

The USB 2.0 tuners based on the DiBcom DIB-3000P (Nova-t USB2 and Avermedia DVB-T USB 2.0) are very good too (assuming you don't mind them being external). They have very good sensitivity.

Right, that's it then, my poxy Nebula card is going on ebay and I'm getting a Nova-T.

I'm sure I'm being stupid, but where do I get the BDA drivers from? I don't see them on the hauppauge website.

Maybe here:

http://www.technotrend.de/english/download/download.html

I don't know the Nova-T PCI, but that's the place where you get the BDA driver for Nova-S PCI (not the new Nova-S Plus), that is based on TechnoTrend budget design.

Consider buying a TechniSat AirStar2. That's the hardware that is supported by DVBViewer ever since (BDA is quite new), thus working very reliable. You even get a free DVBViewer TE version with it. It can't match with DVBViewer Pro/GE, however...

I'm sure I'm being stupid, but where do I get the BDA drivers from? I don't see them on the hauppauge website.

If you are using any of the current Hauppauge DVB cards, the drivers included with the device support BDA.

If you have the older TechnoTrend based Nova-t PCI (before August/Septemer 2004) then use the drivers Griga pointed out.

I know you have your card now, but it may be helpful to other users to continue this thread...

I can heartily second the recommendation for the AverMedia DVB-T USB2.0. It works flawlessly with DVBViewer, even with the standard drivers from AverMedia (since these are BDA anyway).

Unfortunately there's no remote support (yet!)

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking about buying a DVB-t card. I already have the skystar2 PCI card.

My big dilemma is wether or not to choose a BDA driver based card.

I guess it comes down to these 2 prodcuts.

1) airstar2 pci, BDA-less

2) nova-t pci, BDA-enabled

Or would it be smarter to buy a multi tuner card ? I will primarily use it in a dvb streaming environment using dvbserver.

One dvb-t Mux contains X number of channels, right ?

Is the dvbserver able to simultaniously stream these channels to X number of clients ? Like it is the case when talking about transponders in the satellite world o:)

If I want to stream both the skystar2 dvb-s and airstar2 dvb-t using dvbserver how would I do that ? As far as I can see, dvbserver can only utilize one card at a time.

A workaround would be to start 2 instances of dvbserver.exe and then make the changes at the client. I could make 2 shortcuts on my clients desktop, one that starts DVBViewer in dvb-s and one in dvb-t mode. Its just a matter of using a BAT file copying the right network.xml / hardware.xml files. Ofcourse I can only use dvb-s or dvb-t channels not both ?

The DVBViewer client has no option to add another unicast/multicast connection?

Have anyone out there tried to contact technisat about them doing BDA drivers for their PC based product line ?

I guess if they wont they will lose some potential business. I know BDA is a microsoft developed driver architecture used within XP MCE.

Lots of other apps are also starting to appear where most of them only support BDA based cards.

The general idea behind BDA seems like a good one. Instead of programmers having to program using a specific hardware driver SDK (skystar2 ex), instead they program using a new abstraction layer / wrapper called BDA. It's like what directX is for games, hopefully making it easier for programmers to develop. Also DVB app developers don't have to think about adding support for this and that card. If the card X supports BDA then it works in the BDA enabled application.

...back to business...

If I buy a non-BDA card like the airstar2 then I automatically exclude myself from a wider range of apps. Right now i am using DVBViewer, but if anything comes up that is better then DVBViewer (god forbid it hehe) then it would be nice to be able to move on to better software instead of having my hands tight to a few selection of apps.

/Elo

Edited by gibman

I'm not sure but i personally run 3 dvb-t usb sticks + 2 dvb-s pci devices at the moment. Yes this sounds strange, but i strongly recommend for dvb-t some of those usb 2.0 sticks. Usually it does not matter which kind of stick you use, but the most robust stick (i guess you can even hit it with a hammer and it would not break) is the one from Technisat: prod_pic.gif

Christian

I'm not sure but i personally run 3 dvb-t usb sticks

what 3 usb receivers do you use??

can they resepts 3 different channels from 3 different transpoders at same time??

i want to resept 3 channels from 3 transpoders but all my pci slots are in use.