Audio balance per channel

pankov

I just bought DVBViewer and I like it very much but there is one think that I miss (from MyTheatre I used before).

It's the ability to configure each channel audio format. My cable provider transmits a few channels (Eurosport for example) with Dual Audio / Secondary Audio Program (SAP). I'm not talking about two separate Audio PIDs but one language (Bulgarian) in the Left audio channel and another (English) in right audio channel.

I searched through the settings of DVBViewer and found that using the Balance option I can select one or the other language. This is good but not enough. When I change the channel and come back to the "special" dual audio channel DVBViewer resets to "Center" instead of remembering that this channel should be played with only one of the two separate audio channels.

The other problem with the balance is that if I select one channel I hear sound only from this speaker and not "mono" sound from both my front speakers.

I did some research in the forum and found the Audio Selector Filter and installed it. This solved the problem with the sound comming out only from the selected speaker but there is still the need to always use the Balance option which is not convinient at all.

So will it be possible to save this per channel?

I have found another problem with the Audio Selector Plugin or to be correct with it's place in the graph. I saw that DVBViewer connects it just before the renderer which is not right when there is one (or more) Audio Postprocessing filters. In my case I'm talking about the Circle Surround II DMO which I use to upconvert the 1.0/2.0 audio streams to 5.1 and then encode them in DD 5.1 which is sent to the extarnal Receiver via the SPDIF. To do this I made custom graph which I select in the Graph Selector Plugin but it doesn't work because of the RadLight Audio Select filter which is connected just before the Renderer.....

btw what for is the "Audio Callback" filter???

I tried adding the Audio Select filter manually in the right place - between the Audio Decoder (Intervideo in my case) and the Postprocessing filters (CSII + AC3Filter) but DVBViewer added another instance again before the Renderer (Default DirectSound Device). So I don't think I can do anything to fix it :bye:

This brings a couple of feature requests:

1. Is it possible not to add Audio Select Filter if it's already present in the graph?

2. Is it possible to add an option for Audio Postprocessing filterS (plural) in the DirectX options?

and thinking in this direction it will be good to do something like in ZoomPlayer - the posibility to add a list of filters (both DirectShow and DMO) instead of only one for both audio and video postprocessing

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, we're reading, no, no comments on it. :bye:

:)

and why?

is it hard to be done or you don't agree that it's needed? ... or both :)

does this concern all the requests?

1. Saving the audio balance per channel

2. repositioning the Audio Selector filter

3. Audio Postprocessors configuration

Guest Lars_MQ

2 and 3 are quite hard maybe christian can say something about it, it's not my domain :bye:.

And 1. is ATM impossible, the channelformat doesn't allow any alteration (but we're working on this, will take some time...).

Guest Lars_MQ

OK a small update, it concerns several posts of you but I'll answer it in this thread :bye:

1. Persistent Mute state (save mute on exit on reload iton startup)

The Mute stragegy is now changed:

- Mute is saved and loaded in setup.xml. A Volumechange while in mute state will disable mute and change the original Volume.

2.) Every Channel has it's own Volume setting, which is saved in the database. If a channel is not in the database the volume of the previous channel is used. On switching or exiting the volume is automagically saved. These settings are not related to the channels.dat, which contains the channeldata itself. To copy the settings you have to copy the tvchannels.db.

3.) I'm currently working on a similar machanism to 2. for the audiobalance.

This will be in the next beta version (if christian agrees to the changes of course).

1.) :bye: Great

2.) :) Sounds great. I'm just thinking that adding an option to reset/set all channels will be good. Also making the automatic save an option will be great ... although I'm not using the application volume control I like this feature ...

3.) I'm glad that you are working on it. I'll do my best to help you make it best (either with ideas ... if you need ... and testing it). I'll start right away with an "idea": - don't make it use the value from the previous channel if this channel is not configured. In this case simply leave it to "stereo". Otherwise many channels can get wrongly configured without intdending so.

OK a small update, it concerns several posts of you but I'll answer it in this thread :)

2.) Every Channel has it's own Volume setting, which is saved in the database. If a channel is not in the database the volume of the previous channel is used. On switching or exiting the volume is automagically saved. These settings are not related to the channels.dat, which contains the channeldata itself. To copy the settings you have to copy the tvchannels.db.

This will be in the next beta version (if christian agrees to the changes of course).

Hi Lars_MQ and pankov

Sorry for breakning in to this thread :bye:

Save each time there is a channel swap/exit is not as good ide, for exampel if you look at MTV and have it loud. Then later start to look at the same channel on the evening and it becomes loud when you really want the normal volume.

Do it like this instead;

channel 1 - volume -10 against the "normal" volume

channel 2 - volume +15 against the "normal" volume

channel 3 - volume -20 against the "normal" volume

channel 4 - volume 0 against the "normal" volume

then every time i switch to channel 1 the program decreases volume with -10 aginst the volume that is right now

then every time i switch to channel 2 the program increases volume with +15 aginst the volume that is right now

When doing this rember you can't just decreases/increases volume

1. volume now 80

2. swap -15 but the normal volume shoud stil say 80 not 65 (but hte volume shoud be 65)

3. swap +10 but the normal volume shoud stil say 80 not 90 (but hte volume shoud be 90)

4. and so on.

i did have this future on a dvb-reciver and it was really nice.

/aTENEr.

Edited by atener
  • 1 month later...
Yes it works. tested it.

OK

now as it's not working for me I need your support so I can help you find out what's wrong. I'm using a channel from my cable so you can't test it so let's try the other way around. Which channel are you using to test it? Can I do something else to help? Recording to .ts?

Edited by pankov
Guest Lars_MQ

It's irrelevant which channel you use or which reception type.

If you activate the option the viewer writes for every channel you set the balance <> stereo the left or right value into the TVDatabase.db database on switching to another channel or exiting the app.

If you tune a channel, the database is asked do we have an entry for this channel, if yes the value is taken and the left/right balance is set otherwise it's stereo (unchanged). You can check it in menu settings-audiochannel.

It's irrelevant which channel you use or which reception type.

If you activate the option the viewer writes for every channel you set the balance <> stereo the left or right value into the TVDatabase.db database on switching to another channel or exiting the app.

If you tune a channel, the database is asked do we have an entry for this channel, if yes the value is taken and the left/right balance is set otherwise it's stereo (unchanged). You can check it in menu settings-audiochannel.

OK there seams to be something wrong then with my TVDatabase.db.

I'm attaching it so you can check it. The problematic channel is [28]Eurosport.

btw

what kind of database is this .db? can I read it somehow locally? SQL? dBase?

As you can see in the setup.xml that I've attached earlier the RemeberBalance is checked

<entry name="RememberBalance">1</entry>

TVDatabase.zip

OK

finally I have success

:bye:

after manually altering the SQLite database (which I hope you don't mind very much :bounce:) I found out that DVBViewer is READing the values correctly. The problem is the WRITing though :bye:. On my system nothing gets written for the Balance field. The Volume field for example is saved correctly.

I'm attaching the modified database in which I have left only one channel with configured balance.

TVDatabase_1.zip

Edited by pankov
Guest Lars_MQ

Strange. did you try to rename the database and start the viewer? It recreates the database, maybe there is somewhere a quirk in your file?.

after manually altering the SQLite database (which I hope you don't mind very much )

Why should I mind? It's your file do whatever you like. But don't come complaining if it doesn't work afterwards :bye: :bye:

Yes, I tried recreating it and it doesn't help

:bye:

I'm wondering what else could be the reason. I have two installations of DVBViewer Pro (one final and one beta) both in UserMode=2 but with different root folders. I also have one DVBViewer Installation in UserMode=0.

Does this ring a bell?

• 4 months later...

I'm bring to live this old topic because I'm requesting the same feature for DVBViewerGE. I know this version is not supposed to be feature rich but as DVBViewer Pro is not an option for me (NVidia DXVA VMR OSD bug) I have to use DVBViewerGE and I really need some kind of dual audio channel management.