New to DVD encoding

s.downey

Hey everyone,

I am just starting to try to figure out how to properly encode dvd videos. I want to maximize the amount of video i can fit on one dvd. I have several half hour episodes of a television show in DivX avi format and i am using avidemux2 as my encoder. My dvd authoring program is Sonic MyDVD, and i will be using dvd5 blanks. the audio rate of the videos is 160kpbs, and i am just wondering how much i can realistically expect to be able to fit onto one dvd. i know next to nothing about encoding, and have been trying to learn through tutorials. it seems with every attempt, that my file sizes end up the same if not larger than the origional, and the encoding doesnt seem to be maximizing my use of space on my dvd. I am so new that i have no idea what im doing at all, i just want to be able to get more onto one dvd than i am currently, because it doesnt seem like its a realistic amount :S any help whatsoever would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shawn,

just create your DVD with your preferred tool (MyDVD), but create it on a directory on the hard drive. If the total size of this > 4.7 GB, you need to shrink this using a tool called "d v d s h r i n k" (without the blanks - just use Google etc. to find it, it's free!)

With this tool, once installed, you can "open" your DVD on the hard drive, it will analyze it and detect automatically, how much it has to be shrinked before you can use your prefrred burn program to bring it on a DVD.

Hope this helps,

matthy