Channel numbers & OSD

pankov

1. Is it possible to add an option for showing the numbers of channels in the Channels OSD?

2. Is it possible to manually configure the numbers of the channels (not only the order but adding the ability to leave empty spots). One reason for this is to be able to group channels by category ... something like Favorites but keeping the ability for direct selection by the channel number. Another reason for this is that some numbers are easier for input even though they are longer. For example it's easier to select channel 555 than channel 146 or even channel 19.

1.) maybe this will come

2.) Not possible.

@squizzer22

Delete the channelslogo folder and you will see the numbers.

1.) good :bye:

2.) if this is not possible is it possible to add free numbering (greater than 10) to the favorite channels and ability (shortcuts + remote + COM) to change them?

well, deleting the channelslogo folder will show the numbers, but it will remove the logos - it's nice to have both ... hopefully in the future :)

Edited by pankov
Guest Lars_MQ
t's nice to have both ... hopefully in the future

Well if you want both you simply have to change the miniepg.xml a little bit. It's all there but it overlays each other, so if there is no logo for a channel, you see the channelnumber :bye:

2.) Not possible.

Don't be silly - of course it's possible (as is using the LCN channel numbers broadcast with each channel), you guys just need to put a little effort in :bye:

How much would you pay for that?

This is a perfectly valid point, of course.

However I thought LCN's and/or channel number editing was a standard feature of DVB software (certainly is with the AverTV software I got with my DVB-T card).

I bought DVBViewer registered edition as an upgrade, assuming it would have these features. As there was no preview-version available (at least not advertised on your website) I couldn't try-before-you-buy to see for myself.

But never mind, what you have is a great product already - but I truly believe it could be a world-beater if small improvements like this were implemented.

Edited by pissedbob
  • 1 month later...
How much would you pay for that?

This is a perfectly valid point, of course.

However I thought LCN's and/or channel number editing was a standard feature of DVB software (certainly is with the AverTV software I got with my DVB-T card).

I bought DVBViewer registered edition as an upgrade, assuming it would have these features. As there was no preview-version available (at least not advertised on your website) I couldn't try-before-you-buy to see for myself.

But never mind, what you have is a great product already - but I truly believe it could be a world-beater if small improvements like this were implemented.

I have spent ages looking for some decent Viewer software to work on my Freecom Stick (the supplied software is more than useless) and thought that this DVBViewer was the solution. I am a little dissapointed that it does not have the ability to pull the LCN number from the channel so I can just hit numbers to tune to the channels. I know it can be done (for example my DigiTV box from Nebula does).

It also doesent seem to cope very well with the double channels - we have quite a few channels in the UK that share the same frequency and share the air time (for example CBBC broadcasts 7am till 7pm, then BBC Three takes over at 7pm till 7am, but when you do a scan it only gets the currently broadcasting channel and if you select the one that isint' broadcasting, you actually get the other one (rather than the blank screen you get from some software).

I like you software but had I had a play with a trial version I wouldn't have bought it so maybe my €15 could go some way to funding this ;)

Guest Lars_MQ
4.1.1 Logical_channel_descriptor

The logical_channel_descriptor is a privately defined descriptor (i.e. not DVB specified)

As you see it's not part of DVB per se. So there is no need normally to implement this. It wouldn't work with the channeldefinition of the DVBViewer anyway. Simply build yourself the channellist as needed, or use favorites, you can use a copy of one channel twice for your parttime TV-channels...

Well let's see. It took me about an hour to find the relevant documents (thanks to finnish broadcasters who are really doing good work describing their network. Shame on the german and british ones ;) ). It will take me 15 minutes to implement it into the SI-Parser.

And then I think it will take us all between 3-4 month to design, develop, code and test the changes to the channelmanagement. For the DVBViewer Pro/GE, including all the plugins it may take quite a little while longer.

So I prefer this solution: You sit down for max. 30 minutes and sort the 20 or so channels yourself. ;)

I wouldn't mind sitting down and sorting them out if I only had to do it once. Thing is, I use my Freecom USB stick on the road (well not literally...at the moment anyway!) so I have to retune it every time I stop in a different hotel ;)

Unless I can get the favorites to work off the channel names which I guess will stay the same? Can I set a favourite to number and enter that for my channel? I think I need to go and have a play before someone tells me to RTFM...

Thanks for looking into it but it would seem my hunt for a nice simple DVB-T Viewer continues.

so I have to retune it every time I stop in a different hotel

Well, as a developer I never considered this kind of "mobile" usage of the software. And I'm quite sure other developers don't do it either. ;)

Unless I can get the favorites to work off the channel names which I guess will stay the same?

When you select a favourite, DVBViewer searches for a "best match" in the channellist. It uses three attributes to identify the channel: name, service ID and audio PID. Open the favourites.xml with a text editor and you will see (service ID and audio PID are merged into one number).

So if you travel to another DVB-T region, everything depends on how the broadcasters handle it. If the name and the IDs remain the same, no problem. If only the name remains the same, the favourite still refers the same channel, unless there is another channel with more matching attributes, or another channel with one matching attribute that is found first.

However, you can use the text editor to replace all numbers in the favourites.xml by 0, thus setting the service ID and the audio PID to neutral. After that, only the name is left to identify the channel, and if there is a channel that carries exactly (!) the same name, it will be the best match.