Upmix Stereo Channels to 5.1?

cocksy_boy

Hi There All,

Just a quick question - is there any way to upmix stereo broaqdcasts to 5.1? Basically, I'm using DVBViewer Pro with my Nova-T PCI in the UK where all the broadcasts are in stereo. Therefore, nothing comes out of my rear speakers - is there any way to upmix the sound to 5.1? I tried just selecting the AC3 filter in the DirectX options, but with no joy! Thanks for your help,

Cocksy

Hi guys - thanks for that - I didn't relaise there was a newer version of the ac3 filter - I have only ever looked at his main site (whcih still only has version 0.70b!!). Got it woring - thanks very much for your quick responses!

Cocksy

The upmixing engine in AC3Filter is not very good. If you really want to hear something good try the Circle Surround II plugin for Windows Media Player which can be used as DMO (similar to Direct Show filter). I find it much better than Dolby Prologic II.

There is one problem though - it's not a MPEG audio decoder so you will have to build your own graph and add it after the audio decoder to make it work. ... or let's hope that hackbart will decide to add interface for configuring Audio Postprocessor as it's done for the video

Edited by pankov

Hello !

If you can make Gold out of Led you can make 5.1 out of Stereo.

O.K. a kind of upmix is possible, hence even the professional can not do magic.

So if it is not necessary:

Do not waste your time.

I agree that it's not perfect but the channel separation (vocals from the center, ambient sound from the surrounds, music from the main speakers, low freq from the Sub ) is so good that you can easily mistake it with a discrete 5.1 track.

And for music it adds athmosphere with a little surround - not too much so you get distracted by the sound comming from the surrounds.

You can also configre different settings for 3 modes - Movie; Music; Mono. So you can almost turn off the center speaker in Music mode so you keep the stereo sounding and only add some to the surrounds for better sound stage presentation

That's how I see it (like it). Of course you may not like it - it's up to you. But if you haven't tried it ... really - do it.

Edited by pankov
I agree that it's not perfect but the channel separation (vocals from the center, ambient sound from the surrounds, music from the main speakers, low freq from the Sub ) is so good that you can easily mistake it with a discrete 5.1 track.

And for music it adds athmosphere with a little surround - not too much so you get distracted by the sound comming from the surrounds.

You can also configre different settings for 3 modes - Movie; Music; Mono. So you can almost turn off the center speaker in Music mode so you keep the stereo sounding and only add some to the surrounds for better sound stage presentation

That's how I see it (like it). Of course you may not like it - it's up to you. But if you haven't tried it ... really - do it.

Hello !

Sorry any good Receiver with PLC II (or similar functions) does a better job in realtime.

I hate this upmixes because you have glitsches and distortion very often.

Hello !

Sorry any good Receiver with PLC II (or similar  functions) does a better job in realtime.

I hate this upmixes because you have glitsches and distortion very often.

if the guy is asking for upmixing he is probably not having a receiver that can upmix or he simply doesn't like the way it's upmixed. Personally I prefer CircleSurroundII than ProLogicII. The upmixing on the PC is also done in realtime with very little (a few ms) or none delay (because usually the video is synchronized to the audio).

I don't know what you mean by glitches / distortion and what is "very often" to you but with probably thousands of hours of using CircleSurround I've never heard something that will ruin the very nice feeling about it.

That's only how I see it. I'm not pushing anyone to use it - I'm just sharing my experience

:bye:

Edited by pankov

Hello !

I had gliches and distortion only with Software upmixed audio.

The PLC II on my Denon Receiver works quite nice.

And perhaps I should give Software upmixes another try ? :bye:

Hello !

And perhaps I should give Software upmixes another try ? :)

It never hurts trying

btw

you've mentions "PLC II" twice. Is this Dolby Prologic II that you are talking about or it's something else?

Hello !

And perhaps I should give Software upmixes another try ? :)

It never hurts trying

btw

you've mentions "PLC II" twice. Is this Dolby Prologic II that you are talking about or it's something else?

Hello !

Thats how my Denon calls it.

I think its something Like %channel Stereo , or Virtual Surround.

The Receiver tries to "upmix" Stereo to 5.1.

I must look in the Manual.......