Nova Ci with BDA..trouble..

retro

Hi all..!

Recently purchased DVBViewer after recommendations. And it is a great program..when it works.. (w00t)

I use the Nova Ci card with BDA-drivers, but after between 5-30 min, the picture freezes. But not completly, it skips a frame about every third second or something like that..?!?

If I close and restart the program, the problem is back at once, I have to reboot to get it working again..

I use NO plugins BTW. I use latest beta, but it's the same with 3.2.6.

Clean new Windows XP install.

Anyone else with these problems..?

I REALLY want to get DvbViwer to work 100%..it's the best DVB-prog I've ever used..

Edited by retro

Now, here's my support.zip-file.

This was generated just after the problem occured.

System is P4 3.6, 512MB, Nvidia 6600GT AGP.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

The dvbcard is a Hauppauge Nova with Common Interface.

Conax cam, Canal Digital subscriptioncard.

Sonic videocodec, AC3filter for audio. Tried others, same problem.

Latest BDA-drivers obtained from www.dvbshop.net. Same problem with older drivers from Hauppauge.

Anything else I should add..?

support.zip

No difference..

I'm just doing a re-format of my harddrive, I'll then start from scratch and only install DVBViewer. I'll post the results later this evening..(w00t)

Thanks..!

Hallo,

the Cyberlink, Power DVD Codec is good.

The dvbcard is a Hauppauge Nova with Common Interface.

i don't think, the DVBViewer Pro support CI with BDA driver for the Nova dvb-card at this time.

:huh:

If it runs stable for at least 5 min, I would rather think of a thermal problem or something like this. Can you see anything unusual (discontinuities, growing buffer number..) in the view of the source filter?

I'm pulling my hair.. :huh:

I have now done a complete clean new Widows XP Pro SP2 installation. Installed all Windows updates. Then installed soundcarddriver and graphicsdriver. Installed Cyberlink video- and audiocodec.

Installed DVBViewer 3.2.6 and then updated with the beta 3.4.9.261.

Nothing else. Absolutely nothing.

Changed nothing in the DVBViewer installation, did not enable common interface.

Tuned to one of the preset favourites, RTL2, and it opens. Video and audio ok.

But only for a short while, same problem as before.. :bye:

After doing this fresh windows install, what else can I do or try..?!?!?

I'll include my latest supportfile, taken directly after the crash.

support.zip

Edited by retro

I have now made one small change in the settings..deleted the German entrys in the weathermodule, set the days to zero. Un-ticked the auto-update option.

The program has now been running about one hour without problems..knock on wood.. :huh:

I'll now enable common interface..I'll get back later..

I spoke too soon..it freezed while typing previous post.. :huh:

Derrick,

No, nothing unusual in the source filter, I think..?!? Looks as it does when the program is running ok. And no, all temps in the computer are fine.

I have now made another change. Pulled out the other DVB-card, a Technotrend Skystar 1 rev 1.6. Sorry, should have wrote in my first post that I had two DVB-cards in the pc.. :huh:

Let's see if anything changes..

I think I have found what's wrong. The BDA-drivers.

I installed MyTheatre using the same BDA-drivers and get the exact same problem. Freezing within 30 min.

With the normal drivers, which I have used together with MyTheatre for the last year or so, no problems at all. Rock solid. Unfortunately, they don't work with DVBViewer.. :)

So what do you people think..am I right in blaming the shitty BDA-drivers..or..?!?

Since I really would prefer to use DVBViewer instead of MT, I have placed an order for another DVB-card, a Twinhan with common interface. I hope this will work..

• 2 weeks later...

Further experimenting with the latest beta..

If I look at the DVB Sourcefilter while running the program, I can see I have "Allocated Buffers", ca 60, and "Qued Video Buffers", ca 40-60. "Discontinues", ca 0-10. This is when program is running well.

But when the trouble starts, "Latest Error" is reporting "Graph too late" and a rapidly increasing number..

What does this mean, and is there anything I can do about it by changing the latency or other settings in the filter..?!?

And as I wrote before, only thing I can do to get DVBViewer running again is a reboot of the computer..

Edited by retro

The view of the source filter only gives you an indication when things are going wrong..

"Discontinues", ca 0-10. This is when program is running well.

The discontinuity counter should stay at 0 (maybe 1 or 2 errors when switching on). So maybe your reception is not perfect? That wouldn't explain the sudden increase after a time.

Normally there is a fundamental difference between BDA and WDM driver. Applications using wdm are setting hardware filter on the pci_card for extracting the relevant streams. BDA needs the entire multiplex. The useful elementary streams are software filtered by the application. That could be an explanation for your problem..

Derrick, thank you for your response.

The discontinuity counter should stay at 0 (maybe 1 or 2 errors when switching on). So maybe your reception is not perfect? That wouldn't explain the sudden increase after a time.

I surely hope my reception is perfect..I work as a installer of satellite dishes and antennas and such.. ;)

This "Graph too late", what does that mean..?!? I've tried every codec I could find with same results..

Yes, another thing, when I get this freeze in DVBViewer and then start another program..like Theatertek dvd-player, J River Media Center etc..I get no sound at all..I have to reboot to get any sound at all back..?!?

On my system..MyTheatre, SkyView, ProgDvb works, but not the one which, so far, seems to give the best picture, DVBViewer..

As I wrote in another post, I'm willing to buy another card to get it to work and have ordered a Twinhan..but I don't feel too secure about that one working 100% better..

Today I borrowed a Skystar2 USB from a friend. This works 100% so far, with no "Discontinues" in the source filter.

Strange though, it didn't work with the channellist from the Hauppauge Nova..i got "Hardware not found"..? But after a rescan, it worked.

Well..at-least it proves that my installation is correct. Too bad the Skystar don't have common interface..

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I have found the root of my problems.

It wasn't the BDA-drivers. Unfortunately, it was my soundcard.

I use an expensive professional card, a LynxTwoB, and after uninstalling this and enabling my onboard AC97 audio, DVBViewer runs perfecty.

Now, this gives me new problems since the Lynx sounds fantastic and I don't want to give it up.. ;) I use my HTPC as the only source in my AV-system, and have close to a terabyte of music on my harddrives.

I will make a post about this in Lynx own forum, but since this card is mainly directed to the pro music scene, I don't know what response to expect..