Only picture on 1/4 of screen

Hi, I'm having a hard time getting the DVBViewer to work properly, at first noting worked but after re-installing my windows i have managed to get most of the stuff working.

But i have a really frustrating problem, when watching SD broadcasts i only get a picture on the upper left quarter of my screen. By switching renderer i get fullscreenpicture but instead i have a thick gray line across the screen.

Some specs (if needed)

Pentium D 940

Geforce 7600gt

1gb ram

PowerDVD7 trial codecs

FireDTV-T Tuner

regards

Carl Esping

Hi, I'm having a hard time getting the DVBViewer to work properly, at first noting worked but after re-installing my windows i have managed to get most of the stuff working.

But i have a really frustrating problem, when watching SD broadcasts i only get a picture on the upper left quarter of my screen. By switching renderer i get fullscreenpicture but instead i have a thick gray line across the screen.

Some specs (if needed)

Pentium D 940

Geforce 7600gt

1gb ram

PowerDVD7 trial codecs

FireDTV-T Tuner

regards

Carl Esping

Carl,

You're using Cyberlink video codec in hardware acceleration mode?

I guess you have forceware 80 something installed. Try the 90 something beta drivers and use 'overlay mixer' as video renderer. The thick grey line should be gone.

The problem in the cyberlink codec can be easily solved:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cyberlink\Common\CLVSD]

"PV_FOR_MCE"=dword:00000000

This works with enabled and disabled hardware accelleration.

Christian

But i have a really frustrating problem, when watching SD broadcasts i only get a picture on the upper left quarter of my screen.

Christian, does your tip solve the pb above?

Thanks

I'm getting the same problem on v3.5.0.1

Although the only MPEG2 codec I had loaded originally was the CyberLink, I've loaded dscaler and Nero codecs and on both the VMR settings I get the 'quarter screen' effect.

Not a big issue, as it works fine on 'Overlay', but it used to be perfect on previous versions.

This is on a laptop which I connect via wireless to my main PC which acts as a server - there are no problems at all on the main PC.

The laptop is running XP pro SP2 - the filters are now dscaler, Nero and CyberLink, and I've attached the setup.xml file as requested.

Setup.xml

Edited by enkaytee

at least with cyberlink it works fine. I realized this because i installed the PC-TV Software to check the starbox usb 1.1 which did not worked with the latest DVBViewer. For the nvidia decoder i suppose you have to disable the hardware accelleration. Maybe a graphic card driver update fix this...

@enkaytee: Please try to select an decoder manual, auto is not always the best choice!

Christian

For me, I have this problem too with PureVideo (v1.02-196 trial) and PowerDVD (v7.0.1725 trial). And to get rid of that problem I have to do one of the following:

1- DISABLE the "Hardware Acceleration" and USE either "VMR7" or "VMR9".

OR

2- ENABLE the "Hardware Acceleration" and USE the "Overlay Mixer".

I love VMR9 because it gives me REAL colores unlike Overlay Mixer which Saturate a lot.

BTW, I dont have that problem with DVBViewer GE 2.0.1

see the attachment...

post-24771-1151543193_thumb.jpg

Edited by BelowSky

UPDATE:

OK, this bug does not appear if I use Windows XP + SP2 only without any other updates. But once I update DirectX (using the February update, for example), that corruption appears again.

UPDATE:

OK, this bug does not appear if I use Windows XP + SP2 only without any other updates. But once I update DirectX (using the February update, for example), that corruption appears again.

That's a VERY important news!!! <_<

Do you mean it works with an "old" version of directx? What is the version installed with XP SP2 (the one that makes the corruption disappear)?

Could you tell us what nvidia drivers version you use? Does it still work with the latest beta (91.33), and the last version of PureVideo (1.02-223) ?

I'd like to be sure before formating my computer :blush:

Thanks

I use the newest version of directx and have all patches ov XP installed and dont have any problem. But without informations we cant help we ar not clairvoyants.

Oliver posted which informations we need.

I use the newest version of directx and have all patches ov XP installed and dont have any problem.

Hi Klausing,

how lucky you are! Is your graphic card an nvidia card?

But without informations we cant help we ar not clairvoyants.

Here is my support.zip file.

I tried the patch Hackbart was taking about, but it doesn't change anything, I still have the image only in the fisrt 1/4 of the window.

My config is:

AMD Athlon X2 4200+

1GO Ram

GForce 6600 LE with lastest nvidia drivers

Win XP SP2 + all patches and directx 9.0c (not the very last version)

DVBViewer 3.5.0

Cyberlink video/SP decoder (PDVD7) trial

Nvidia PureVideo trial (not the last version, 233 i think)

My settings are:

Video output: VMR9

Video format detection: off

OSD VMR HT Fix: off (but ON doesn't change anything)

MPEG Video decoder: Cyberlink video/SP decoder (PDVD7)

Hardware accelerator: ON

Post Processor: <none>

I get fullscreen when I set Nvidia post processing instead of <none>, but the image is not as good as the one I had with DVBViewer 3.2.6 with post processor set to <none> (the image trembles).

I also get fullscreen when I disable hardware accelerator in Cyberlink decoder settings, but here again the image quality is worst than before <_< Contrary to what some people said: I can see a difference when hardware accelerator is activated or not! :blush: And please don't tell me to use Overlay instead of VRM9!!

I am very sad as I can not use the last DVBViewer version o:) (I have 2 DVB cards)

DVBViewer GE is fine but I 'd like to use the network feature of the Pro version.

I hope these elements could help you to help me (us)

Thanks

support.zip

Edited by Silenius
I use the newest version of directx and have all patches ov XP installed and dont have any problem. But without informations we cant help we ar not clairvoyants.

Oliver posted which informations we need.

Can you be more precise?

Which version of DirectX is the "newset version"? dates? links to it?

What's your video card (brand / model)? what driver version are you using?

If you really think you that the support.zip will help I'll make a new one and post it here ... but I really doubt it :)

As the problem is visible in many applications ... even in GraphEdit ... I admit it's a bug in DirectX/Nvidia but DVBViewer users are the one that are suffering from it. And as we know that there are already solutions to it (GB-PVR with Custom VMR 9; DVBViewer with OSD in the video window) I think DVBViewer Pro developers should do something about it too

If there is something I can make to help just let me know

:)

• 1 month later...
You have to disable the hardware accelleration.

I suppose you are joking, right?

The difference in the picture quality is huge. I know this is a bug in NVidia drivers, but it's hurting DVBViewer's customers and sales so I think that the developers should do a little bit more and find some kind of work around. Otherwise they will lose all NVidia users

;)

No, this was seriously meant.

Video decoders use or, other!

every single decoder that uses DXVA has the same problem, no only NVidia Purevideo ... but I guess you know this already.

So you are advising me to use software mode and lose the quality and speed that I bought my video card for??

... well someone may do it but I think it's easier/cheaper to switch 15EUR application than a 150EUR video card ... I personally use DVBViewerGE and miss some of the featuers from DVBViewerPro but for me the picture quality is the most important thing so I can not turn of DXVA

I'm only hoping that the Pro developers will do something about it as other (GBPVR) have already done

Why do i have to fix problems which are obviously caused by Nvidia?

You can use the Overlay Output which should work or you use the Cyberlink codec and dont even think that we will recode the whole osd just to create a tottery workaround.

You can use the Overlay Output which should work or you use the Cyberlink codec and dont even think that we will recode the whole osd just to create a tottery workaround.

Did you contact nVidia about that bug? Did they respond?

Do they know about it?

I think they are aware and its not a specific misbehaviour of the DVBViewer. Just render an mpeg file in graphedit and connect it with the nvidia decoder and a vmr mixer which has more than one input pins (=no overlay is used). This does not work too, and honestly i wonder why you want to use the nvidia mpeg decoder? Mainconcept and also Cyberlink (which is especially in the last versions probably the best decoder ever) are using Purevideo and do not act that weird.

Christian

Well, they all give me the same crap. The registry tweak you posted previously didn't work too.

hackbart, the reason of my question is that I can't find that bug mentioned in nVidia's drivers release notes in which they always put a section for KNOWN but UNRESOLVED issues called "Open issues".

Take a look to release note of the latest nVidia ForceWare driver v91.47, go to section "Open Issues in Version 91.47 for 32-bit Operating Systems":

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.47/9...lease_notes.pdf

Edited by BelowSky
I think they are aware and its not a specific misbehaviour of the DVBViewer. Just render an mpeg file in graphedit and connect it with the nvidia decoder and a vmr mixer which has more than one input pins (=no overlay is used). This does not work too, and honestly i wonder why you want to use the nvidia mpeg decoder? Mainconcept and also Cyberlink (which is especially in the last versions probably the best decoder ever) are using Purevideo and do not act that weird.

Christian

Yes, I do agree that it's a bug in the NVidia DRIVERS, not the decoder, but as most of us developers know we have to please the customer despite all the bugs and quirks in Windows or others' components/code.

Well, about the graphedit example that you give - if I do exactly what you say it works just fine, but if I open the VMR9 render's properties page and change Position X/Y or Size X/Y options it will fail. So this confirms that it's not only DVBViewerPro's fault but NVidia's. The problem is that this happens with all decoders that use DXVA !!! Both MPEG2 and MPEG4 ... even the one that you recommend (CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7)) ... if you need a screenshot confirming this I can post it later today.

And about your question why we prefer the NVidia Purevideo Decoder ... well the reason is that it gives us (or atleast me) the best deinterlacing I've ever seen ... you can see this on a channel like CNBC where there is a quickly moving text (numbers) ... or any sport event like tennis or football or ... anything else.

Edited by pankov

Well, may be because they are one of the biggest selling video card manufacturer in the world?

No we cannot use Overlay output or other video decoder (btw Cyberlink has the problem too) because we will lose all the goods in the Purevideo decoder (acceleration/deinterlace/IVTC).

We are not asking you to change the whole OSD but only to add an option not to change VMR's X/Y size or position as Andy is proposing here

http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=102842

I know that the OSD will probably look weird (wrong aspect ratio and probably position) but this is much better than the garbage that we get now .... or is it possible at least to make the option "Disable OSD" fully disable the OSD - not even present in the graph and not changing VMR's X/Y?

Edited by pankov
  • 2 weeks later...

I also experience the "1/4 screen" issue but only when I choose VMR9 and disable the NVIDIA post processor. Anyway, my biggest concern is the fact that I can not get decent quality when watching fast sport (like football). The picture is too blured to make it aceptable to watch. What is the BEST DirectX setup for DVBViewer?

rosie,

if you try DVBViewerGE and use NVIDIA Purevideo Decoder on NVidia video card (6xxx is the minimum and from 7600GT and up is the best option) with VMR9 and Pixel Adaptive Deinterlace you will get the best picture ever. Do not use the NVidia Post processor because this way you get worse quality and loose the hardware acceleration.

Sadly at the moment there is no MPEG2/4 decoder that will work in hardware accelerated mode (which is recommended) with DVBViewerPro

I also experience the "1/4 screen" issue but only when I choose VMR9 and disable the NVIDIA post processor. Anyway, my biggest concern is the fact that I can not get decent quality when watching fast sport (like football). The picture is too blured to make it aceptable to watch. What is the BEST DirectX setup for DVBViewer?

Have you tried the Cyberlink MPEG2-Decoder-Filter from powerDVD7? The Picture Quality is decent, even good without Hardware Acceleration, if you have the 1/4-Screen-Issue with HA turned on. You don't have to buy PowerDVD, just install the Trial...

Cheereo

NeDrY

Pankov, Thanks for your reply. I have a 7600GT card (see my signature). I'm using the official latest 3.5.0 version of DVBViewer - I guess that is Pro, but what is DVBViewerGE? How do I choose Pixel Adaptive Deinterlace (I can't see that setting)?

Since hackbart is too lazy or he didn't care about all nVidia woners, I reported this bug my self to the R&D department of nVidia.

I'm just sick and tired of this bug and I wish they can sort it out.

i do not know, by insulting someone, you will get it done any quicker or will it just get you ban.

How about trying ati, mine 7500 radeon :)

Don't know if you can get any results by insulting others in any areas of life the universe and everything. Probably not. But if you don't have anything other to say then you'd better had kept your thoughts and suggestions to yourself. Don't aggrevate people who have put much thought to selection of their PC components and are happy with their nVidia GPU with every other application than DVBViewer. Unless you have a truly helpful suggestion.

From customer's point of view this is clearly a bug in DVBViewer and happens not only with nVidia's Purevideo but with other MPEG filters as well. However, there are no problems with Windows Media Player with nvdia drivers, purevideo and VMR9.

I think that the attitude of DVBV staff has not exactly been helpful or constructive concerning this particular bug. It is not commonly accepted behaviour from commercial vendor to belittle their customers' opinions and needs. Usually vendors of commercial software solve problems and collaborate with other vendors involved. If you boys can't handle the task, you should publish your software under GPL and let somebody do the job for you for free. And, for crying out loud, at least inform your customers what are the limitations of your product and, in a way, make them known features instead of bugs. And publish a list of suggested/supported combination of hardware, drivers and filters.

rosie,

I saw your signature after I've added my post but I decided to leave it this way for others reading the forum.

DVBViewerGE is a project which maintained by one of the developers here. It's almost the same as DVBViewerPro except some featuers (like the fancy OSD which makes this "1/4 screen" issue). It's not as feautre rich as the pro version but it's the one that works fine with NVidia decoder. You can find it in the download section. Do have in mind that the latest version is a beta (in the beta section of the download) but it's very stable and has very good support for H.264 HD channels.

Now about "Pixel Adaptive". It's an option in the NVidia Video Decoder properties. You will find it in the drop down for "De-interlace Mode" but only when you are using VMR9 mode

Guys, there is a little change in the latest beta version of DVBViewerPro (3.5.0.10). With this version you can avoid the bug by using "None" as Aspect ratio. This will work only if the aspect ratio of your display matches the one of the channels that you are watching. Otherwise you will end up with picture with incorrect aspect ratio.

Guys, there is a little change in the latest beta version of DVBViewerPro (3.5.0.10). With this version you can avoid the bug by using "None" as Aspect ratio. This will work only if the aspect ratio of your display matches the one of the channels that you are watching. Otherwise you will end up with picture with incorrect aspect ratio.

On my System there is no Difference when I set the Aspect Ratio to 'None': 1/4 Screen-Issue with VMR9 and Hardware Acceleration enabled...

Cheereo

NeDrY

are you sure that you are using the latest beta?

it works fine for me and it's enough to change it back to Auto ... or anything else to ruin the picture

also I've found another way to improve the experience on NVidia cards usefull for all kind of channels (4:3 or 16:9). If you manually enable the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option in the VMR9 Properties page you will get the correct aspect ratio while leaving the DVBViewer's setting to "None". There is one problem though :). DVBViewer resets this option everytime you switch to/from fullscreen mode.

Christian, is it possible to make this option "stick"?

I hope you are not mad at me that I'm still looking for somekind of workaround for this NVidia bug.

are you sure that you are using the latest beta?

it works fine for me and it's enough to change it back to Auto ... or anything else to ruin the picture

also I've found another way to improve the experience on NVidia cards usefull for all kind of channels (4:3 or 16:9). If you manually enable the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option in the VMR9 Properties page you will get the correct aspect ratio while leaving the DVBViewer's setting to "None". There is one problem though :). DVBViewer resets this option everytime you switch to/from fullscreen mode.

Christian, is it possible to make this option "stick"?

I hope you are not mad at me that I'm still looking for somekind of workaround for this NVidia bug.

Yes, I'm using the 3.5.0.10 Version. The only way to fix the Issue is to manually set the X/Y-Position to 0 and X/Y-Size to 1 in the VMR9 Properties Page or set the following Values in the setup.xml:

<section name="Display">

<entry name="VertStretch">0.00000000000000E+0000</entry>

<entry name="HoriStretch">0.00000000000000E+0000</entry>

<entry name="PanScan">0.00000000000000E+0000</entry>

<entry name="LeftOffset">0</entry>

<entry name="TopOffset">0</entry>

<entry name="X">0</entry>

<entry name="Y">656</entry>

<entry name="W">557</entry>

<entry name="H">463</entry>

</section>

This works only in windowed Mode and is definitely not the Position and Size I want to use :( .

Are there any Experiences what is the exact cause for that Problem? It can't be the Nvidia Driver alone, because on my second Machine with a GeForce4 MX the Issue doesn't occur, even with same Driver Versions as on my first Machine with GeForce 6600GT. One big Difference is that the GF4MX doesn't support PixelAdaptive Deinterlacing, maybe thats the Point? Is there any List which Nvidia Chips are affected?

Another Concern could be the exact DirectX-Version: On my first Machine I have an updated DirectX 9.0c (August 2006) and on my second Machine I have the original DirectX 9.0c Version (I think it's from mid of 2004). Because you can't downgrade DirectX there is no chance for me to make further Tests on that, maybe anyone has a clean WinXP Installation for Investigation?

Cheereo

NeDrY

Seems to be hardware dependant too. Don't have such problem with a GeForce4 MX too. Though this GPU is really a pain when it comes to VMR too as frames get dropped, especially in fullscreen (when using DXVA + VMR). So there is a continuous stuttering in video playback.

NeDrY,

here is my Display section

<section name="Display">
<entry name="EPGPage">0</entry>
<entry name="OnTop">0</entry>
<entry name="LeftOffset">0</entry>
<entry name="TopOffset">0</entry>
<entry name="Duration">0</entry>
<entry name="LastLeftOffset">0</entry>
<entry name="LastTopOffset">0</entry>
<entry name="LastRightOffset">0</entry>
<entry name="LastBottomOffset">0</entry>
<entry name="X">415</entry>
<entry name="Y">292</entry>
<entry name="W">450</entry>
<entry name="H">440</entry>
 </section>

As you can see my X/Y/W/H are totally different from yours and it works just fine. It works in fullscreen mode too. Do have in mind that to have success you have to disable all zooming/positioning both in window and fullscreen mode. could you attach your full setup.xml so I can compare it in details with mine.

I also tried a fresh install of WinXP (SP2 (DX9.0c) integrated) and the problem is there. This makes me think that the problem is in the either in the driver or in the card's hardware itself. To my knowlage this affects all models from 6x and 7x series.