standard path for EPG website

Klausing

I love the new option to save the EPG in a htm-file! :)

The one problem is, that i must on every saving search the path and overwriting the existing file. It would be nice if we could have in the options a standard path for this "epg.htm" and than its only enough to click on Save and the viewer automaticly overwrite the existing file.

Thanks to all for good work

Steffen

Well, I'm thinking of a little app that converts the "persistent" EPG.dat to an EPG.html. I already have a kind of wrapper, which does this job - I've used it to develop the code for the DVBViewer. With some enhancements, it could perform the following steps automatically:

- Launch the DVBViewer and make him receive several transponders or channels (predefined in an INI file) for a certain time to collect the EPG data you are interested in.

- Finish the DVBViewer, so a new EPG.dat is stored

- Convert the EPG.dat to an EPG.html and store it in a folder predefined in the INI file.

I'd call it MakeTVGuide.exe... any need for something like that? Just let me know...

Cheers

Griga

I would really appreciate such a tool.

It would give me the opportunity to get an overview of all stations without the need of going on the internet.

Excellent idea!

Thanks,

Matthy

I agree to matthiku!

It would be realy great.:) It would be nice if you can integrate only a start of DVBViewer without closing (for recording because on some pc the PVR tool of Michael dont work without mistakes).

But if you make an option page where the user can make all entrys for the ini, that would be nice. Not all people can or want do this. Some people are afraid to make changes in files.

cheers

Steffen

Is there any good designer who could make the HTML output look more pro?

Yes, if there is a skilfull HTML expert out there... any ideas to enhance the "look and feel" of the HTML output are welcome. Feel free to post it here.

But please have in mind that all the code has to be generated by the DVBViewer.... and the EPG data provided by the broadcasters is quite usefull, but not a real base for a "pro" TV guide. Therefore an expensive design wouldn't be in measure, that's what I think... and I tell you:

- Creating a design with a good HTML editor is nice and easy. ;)

- Doing it with a text editor is laborious. ;)

- Generating HTML code by means of a programming language like Delphi is awfull. :)

...so I don't feel like doing very much of it. Conclusion: Simple solutions are prefered!

Cheers

Griga

is there a posibility you export the data to a time scheme like tv genial?

i test some things for an other design. I´m not a great designer, but sometimes i have a good idea. ;):)

Hi,

i have changed not to much of Grigas site. (only colors, background, space in the table etc) Ihave made an example here. You can read all entrys in the source of this website. ( you find it like this: ) And please remember i`m not a designer!

If someone want the files i can also send it as zipfile to you.

Guest hackbart

Hmm, the idea is nice to create some unique tv guide using the epg data... I already thought about some sort of style like the tvtv one, but keep in mind not all channels are sending that useful informations like the pro7sat1 group, and images are also not available...

Christian

not all channels are sending that useful informations like the pro7sat1 group, and images are also not available...
Ok, but we must not go online and with epg from RTL-Group, Pro7-Sat1-Group and ARD+ZDF we have here in germany the most looked tv-stations complete. ;)

And it would be very nice if you could use a compatible format of epg.dat for other office software like excel or starcalc. :)

So also people which cant programming make own tv guides or spreadsheets. Or make little vb-scripts for other programms like Outlook (like in tvgenial).

And it would be very nice if you could use a compatible format of epg.dat for other office software like excel or starcalc.

A conversion to the Excel file format isn't trivial, I suspect, and writing code for it isn't a one-day-hack. I think it can be done, if we find a programmer who is already familiar with that stuff.

But there is another possibility. Most apps are able to import a simple text format (like the "Comma-Delimited" for databases). We already had something like that in the DVBViewer versions 1.98 R18-20 - a pure text EPG with data fields delimited by "|". It was dropped, because nobody did something with it... but it would be quite easy to come back to it, if necessary. So if you need a conversion to such a text format, let me know... and tell me exactly how it should look like.

I already thought about some sort of style like the tvtv one

I suppose the real good looking TV guides are not created fully automatic - perhaps software-aided, but finalized by some human... and this level can't be achieved by a DVBViewer routine.

Unfortunately the EPG data comes with a lot of irregularities - some channels broadcast no description at all, some a long one. Some put the the description to the description field, as it should be, some put it to the event field (n-tv, Viva). Some broadcast an EPG for 3 days, some only for one, and so on... enough to mess up any sophisticated design.

is there a posibility you export the data to a time scheme like tv genial?

There is one problem: A typical time scheme guide doesn't contain lengthy descriptions, as they are found in the EPG data. What to do with them? Drop them? Put them into extra files? A time scheme guide, only containing the time and the title, should be possible.

Griga

BTW: For everybody who didn't see it yet: A first result of the "TVGuideMaker" discussion (some postings above) can be found here.

A conversion to the Excel file format isn't trivial
I know this, but if this is a simple textfile with ",or;or:or an over definite Symbol" between the entrys and a lineswitch you can simply import this to every over office programm.

example:

starttime,endtime,station,titel,text

Okay, can you go back to the R20 and try how it works with the "|" delimiter?

It's no problem to write a little prog that converts the EPG.dat to such a format, may be with some enhancements, based on your experience with the experiment above.

Griga

Okay, can you go back to the R20 and try how it works with the "|" delimiter?
Hey thats exactly what i mean. :) and if now is between day, date and time is also a "|" then, all my wishes would be filled.

Sorry i havent seen this in the past. ;)

This format i can realy good import in Excel etc. And with standard filters of Excel you can realy good sort this data after time of day, tv station and so on.

If you want i can make an spreadsheet-example for this with makros for sorting. ;)

It would be nice if i could chose which format i want to save in the future.

cheers

Steffen

thanks,

but i can test it only in a few days. momentaryy i rebuild my PC with an water cooling system and so i dont have enough time. ;) I hope i have after that a realy silent PC ! :) (ist my first watercooling system and so i realy flutteringly) ;)B)

• 2 years later...

Hallo,

habe leider das Script nicht zum laufen gebracht ,bekomme nur folgende

Fehlermeldung:

Skript: C:\Programme\DVBViewer3.0\TVGuideMaker.vbs

Zeile: 21

Zeichen:1

Fehler: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

Code: 80070002

Quelle:(null)

kann mir jemand helfen das Script bei mir zum laufen zu bringen ?

vielen Dank schon mal im voraus

Thomas