H.264 Kit discussion

hackbart

Hi,

on 26 of october Sat1 & Pro7 sent in H.264/AVC i1080. The Moonlight MPEG Player only can H.264 (AVC in DemoMode) see Product Page

The Pro-Version of the Player (You can't buy it now) will make it.

NoVirus

I've uploaded a H.264 Kit to the members area, beta section, that enables watching / recording and playback of H.264 HDTV test transmissions.

The kit contains:

- DVBViewer Filter 2.4.2 with an additional H.264 output pin.

- TSPlayer 1.6.1 with enabled H.264 TS file playback.

You may use DVBViewer GE 1.6.3 (just uploaded) for receiving and recording H.264 streams. Please read the ReadMe file that is included in the H.264 Kit!. Things won't work without it.

H.264 TS files can also be played with DVBViewer GE 1.6.3. For enabling this feature, open the file Setup.ini with a text editor and insert the following line in the frmMain section::

[frmMain]

EnableH264=1

It affects file playback only and is not required for watching/recording the live stream. Please note: After enabling it, MPEG2 files may be mistaken for H.264 under certain (rare) circumstances. Simply delete the line again if you want DVBViewer GE to return to its normal behaviour.

Watching / playing the BBC test transmissions on Astra 23°E 11482 V (see here) requires a work-around, since the video and audio time stamps (PTS) don't match, which prevents the filter graph from playing video.

After having installed the H.264 version of the DVBViewer Filter, open the file DVBSource.ini with a text editor (or create it in the DVBViewer folder) and add the following line to the Params section

[Params]

IgnoreH264PTS=1

It lets the DVBViewer Filter ignore the wrong video time stamps, so that they are not passed on to the filter graph. However, it may cause unwanted side effects when receiving other H.264 transmissions.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• klaymen

• Griga

• Zyknyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Original by: Oliver

It is only working with the SS2 at the moment.

But keep in mind you can't receive the new Pro7/Sat1 h.264 broadcast since it utilises DVB-S2. Therefore new tv-cards are necessary. But currently there aren't any.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by: Pfaff_Torben

Hello Griga,

you re so nice.

I would suggest you to go to ProSieben/Sat.1 and telling them not to send the HDTV in this very, very ... DVB-S2 but in DVB-S. Or send Christian to Technisat to make the developres fire under theit char therefore their develop SS3 DVB-S2. You did a lot of work. This must not be useless at any time!

Torben

original by boingball

Hi Pfaff Torben,

after writing an e-mail to the technisat-service I received the following message:

Sehr XXXXXXXX,

vielen Dank  für Ihre Anfrage und das Interesse an unseren Produkten. Die  verspätete Beantwortung bitten wir zu entschuldigen.

Im Moment ist noch keine DVB S2 Karte in der Planung. Ihre  Skystar2 wird diesen Standard jedenfalls nicht unterstützen, da dazu  ein anderer Chip nötig ist.

Mit freundlichen  Grüßen

XXXXXXXXXX

Serviceteam

I don`t know if it is the truth or the guy is not informed correctly - but this is an actual statement of technisat. So I think we have to wait a long time for a DVB-S2 card.

So long...

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by: Pfaff_Torben

Hello Griga,

what for bad news.

But:

Most of the recivers have a COM (RS32) - Interface. NOT the COM the DVBViewer Pro has, but a nice plug. The older forum members will sure remember. You usesd this to connect your mouse. My Griga could program a program to catch the datas out of the revivers, so that we wouldn't need a DVB-S2 Card.

Other possibility.

I have heard the DVBViewer GE 1.7 is coming soon with BDA - Support. May a producer excepzt of Technisat will have a DVB-S2 card. If this had DVB-S2 evertyhing would be fine!

Torben

Original by Oliver

I don`t know if it is the truth or the guy is not informed correctly

It is the truth and he is informed.

So I think we have to wait a long time for a DVB-S2 card.

Maybe not. A few developers have something in the pipeline already.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Lars_MQ

Most of the recivers have a COM (RS32) - Interface. NOT the COM the DVBViewer Pro has, but a nice plug. The older forum members will sure remember. You usesd this to connect your mouse. My Griga could program a program to catch the datas out of the revivers, so that we wouldn't need a DVB-S2 Card.

What a nice idea, so you could get aprox. every hour one picture?

I think you have no idea what the port is for? It's to control the box not to stream video (I was just thinking of the 115000 bits per second you get w00t.gif ).

You can put a mouse on a COM port even a modem or a crossover interlink cable, but you can never get live DVBData over it. Even for Griga it's impossible grin.gif

Original vom Torben

Hello Lars,

That's bad. OK, perhaps i was a litle bit crazy.

OK, then I would suggest you or Christian to go to Technisat and say "Either you develop a DVBS2 - Card or ...

I would really like to try Grigas Kit, but how can I do it?

Torben

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Derrick

I would really like to try Grigas Kit, but how can I do it?

..lift up your home, put it on a platform and turn the whole thing a little to the left. Then you tune to 12032H, 27500 et voilà :

Original by Griga

..lift up your home, put it on a platform and turn the whole thing a little to the left.

One of those old windmills should do the trick... I suppose there are quite a lot of them where Derrick lives. That's why he can receive all this stuff. :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by sgauntlett

I have been playing with this as well and can decode pictures but not quite smoothly yet.

What is the latest build of the h264dec.ax Moonlight decoder? Moonlight seem to have dropped off the planet!

I downloaded the Elecard codec pack but although it mentions AVC, it only seems to install the MPEG-2 decode filters.

Also can anyone tell me how to make AVC decoding work with Hyperthreading? I have a Dual 3GHz Xeon machine which is almost decoding full HDTV (1080i50) in realtime but is only using one processor. If it could use both then I'm sure it would decode smoothly.

Thanks

Original by Griga

What is the latest build of the h264dec.ax Moonlight decoder? Moonlight seem to have dropped off the planet!

Swallowed by MainConcept. Unfortunately the MainConcept H.264 decoder is not really usable for DVB H.264 - the Moonlight provides much better quality. Additionally, due to a bug the MainConcept doesn't communicate correctly with the DVBViewer Filter. I've already written a mail to MainConcept, dunno if something's gonna happen... they should simply kick their decoder and take the one from Moonlight.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by sgauntlett

Is there any way of using the Quicktime 7 AVC decoder? When I play back and AVC file within Quicktime, the process is nicely spread across all four threads at a very low level (20% overall).

Original by Griga

Is there any way of using the Quicktime 7 AVC decoder?

No. Is it a DirectShow decoder? Available for free? Where?

Original by sgauntlett

Griga, have you tried the Nero AVC decoder? That seems to claim impressive things and is directshow based.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original vom Torben

Hello Griga,

i have discovered a little bug in the DVBSource 2.5 H.264

Because I don't konow how to write in Englisch, forgive me writin in German first.

"Wenn man die Eigentschaftsseite des Filters öffenet, steht auf der Reiterbeschriftung immer noch DVBSource 2.4 H.264 wink.gif , aber aus den Dateieigenscgafzten geht hervor, dass es sich um die Version 2.5 handelt. Ich glaube das hatten wir schonmal..."

And now I try in Englisch:

Theres still standing DVBSource 2.4 H.264 on the propetrty page of the actual DVBSource 2.5 H.264, You can read this in the propertys of the file. I think this problem was existing another, too.

Torben

PS: Forgive me my bad Englisch.

Original by OKeh

Is there any way of using the Quicktime 7 AVC decoder?

No. Is it a DirectShow decoder? Available for free? Where?

Quicktime Alternative has included the lastest Quicktime 7 codecs as DirectShow. So you can watch h.264 videos (for example from apple.com) with MediaPlayerClassic. But I didn't test it. Maybe you can use the codecs for DVBViewer, too !? :) . Quicktime Alternative (+ MediaPlayerClassic)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by kuka

Swallowed by MainConcept. Unfortunately the MainConcept H.264 decoder is not really usable for DVB H.264 - the Moonlight provides much better quality. Additionally, due to a bug the MainConcept doesn't communicate correctly with the DVBViewer Filter. I've already written a mail to MainConcept, dunno if something's gonna happen... they should simply kick their decoder and take the one from Moonlight.

I downloaded the Elecard codec pack but although it mentions AVC, it only seems to install the MPEG-2 decode filters.

Also can anyone tell me how to make AVC decoding work with Hyperthreading? I have a Dual 3GHz Xeon machine which is almost decoding full HDTV (1080i50) in realtime but is only using one processor. If it could use both then I'm sure it would decode smoothly.

Moonlight do not exist any more.

You need to download AVC PlugIn to Elecard MPEG Player.

New version of Elecard-MainConcept H264 Decoder is in QA lab right now.

Beta will be available for evaluation to the end of the next week. It supports Hyperthreading and multiple processors, it will work correctly with DVBViewer.

And it is better then Moonlight one.

Original by sgauntlett

How can we get a copy of the evaluation decoder filter? This is exactly what I'm looking for!

Original by Derrick

Quicktime Alternative has included the lastest Quicktime 7 codecs as DirectShow. So you can watch h.264 videos (for example from apple.com) with MediaPlayerClassic.

Dunno whether it's a direct show filter.. opening a quicktime.mov file with media player classic will show a fluent video with low cpu usage but graphedit can't identify the graph

The same media player classic will use elecard's filter when opening a H.264 transport stream..

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by sgauntlett

How about this directshow filter from Cyberlink and ATI?

http://www.cyberlink.com/cinema/ati/h264_d...r/enu/index.jsp

Seems to be the ATI acceleration we've all been waiting for. I've purchased it and tried to attach the filter to Marfi's SkyAVC without success so far but I don't have that much experience with directshow filters.

Griga, any chance it could be made to work with DVBViewer GE?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by turntoyou

Anyone tried this yet? unsure.gif

Tried it out with graphedit, but could not connect any video renderer. i openend a case at cyberlink. Let`s see whats coming up.

turntoyou

Original by Derrick

More H.264/AVC on hotbird, 10834V

Program Number: 1101 FLUX H264 TPS

Stream Type: 0x1b H264 Video PID 120 (0x0078)

H264 Video: Resolution 1920 x 1088

Descriptor: Data Stream Alignment Descriptor

Alignment type: video access unit

Stream Type: 0x04 MPEG-2 Audio PID 130 (0x0082)

MPEG1 Audio: Bitrate 256 Kbps Sample Rate 48 KHz

MPEG1 Audio: Layer II Mode Stereo

Descriptor: ISO639 Language Descriptor

Language: eng

Audio type: undefined

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by spAik

Anyone tried this yet? unsure.gif

Tried it out with graphedit, but could not connect any video renderer. i openend a case at cyberlink. Let`s see whats coming up.

turntoyou

bought the x1600..same problem here..wont connect to any filter ...

but if i open an apple-hd-*.mov in graphedit..it uses the cyberlink h264 (ati) and it works

EDIT: now i installed Haali Media Splitter and *.mp4 playback works

Original by sgauntlett

Is this a Push/Pull filter problem then? If files play back but cannot connect to live filters?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by spAik

With my (long lasting wink.gif [/ironie]) experience there are 3 ways why it doesnt work with some ppl:

1. The Ati AVC-Splitter is only able to split *.mov-files -> Haali Media Splitter or other Splitters needed for other containers

2. Only works with Catalyst 1.13 (beta)

3. If UIUseHVA has the dword "0" in the registry (means Hardware H264Support is off), the filter wont connect to anything at all

works for every file in Media Player Classic

...Just lame that my pc is still to slow wink.gif

Original by Derrick

DVBViewer-Pro as client on a Pentium D 3GHz system, Moonlight H.264 decoder. DVBServer on pc with SS2 :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by sgauntlett

sad.gif

What am I doing wrong? Dual 3.4GHz Xeon, 2GB RAM and it's almost there but not smooth. Looking at the task manager, one thread is at 100% so no wonder it's falling over. How are you spreading it across threads Derrick? Which version of the Moonlight decoder do you have?

My screen grab does not have the TPS video so I guess I'm using overlay mode. Is that bad?

Cheers

Original by Derrick

My screen grab does not have the TPS video so I guess I'm using overlay mode. Is that bad?

no, not at all.. ..maybe even better but I switched to vmr for the shot :)

How are you spreading it across threads Derrick?

..by simply deselecting "Use Only First CPU" When playing back a recording with the elecard player, I saw activity in both halves but not when using the DVBViewer. Changing the settings did the trick :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by sgauntlett

..by simply deselecting "Use Only First CPU" When playing back a recording with the elecard player, I saw activity in both halves but not when using the DVBViewer. Changing the settings did the trick :)

Now that is interesting. :)

Is that "Use Only First CPU" setting in DVBViewer, the Elecard player or on the directshow filter?

Original by Derrick

It's the application.. ..ckeck DVBViewer -> settings -> options -> extended

With hyperthreading of a P4_cpu it was recommended to use only the 1st

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by daffy

With hyperthreading of a P4_cpu it was recommended to use only the 1st

Recommendations are for chickens ;-)

Lars fixed a problem for 3.2.6 that would cause massive problems on a HT system (like mine). 3.2.6 is very enjoyable now for me, across the board, especially with HT enabled (i.e. with DVBViewer not tied to a single CPU).

Original by sgauntlett

That has helped but I'm still getting stuttering. I have Moonlight filter version 0.8.3 beta, what are you using Derrick?

That option doesn't seem to appear in the GE, is that correct? (EDIT found it now in the new version of GE)

I've just noticed I''m only using 3.2.5 so I'll upgrade to 3.2.6.

Cheers all...it's tantalisingly close!! :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by sgauntlett

Upgrade done, it seems to help. If I'm being a perfectionist, I'd say it still has a couple of stutters or breakups but it's certainly watchable now.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Topogigi

Browsing the net I found this project. It seems very promising:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=104277&page=1

Tried the codec with a King Kong HD 720p H.264 trailer and it plays very smooth on my AMD Mobile Athlon 2500@3000 with a CPU load of about 50%!!!!

The same trailer with the ffdshow codec is simply unwatchable. (So, CoreAVCDecoder seems to be way more efficient than the competitors).

I installed the codec and built a dvbsource.grf with the new H.264 DVBViewer filter, connecting the H.264 pin to the CoreAVCDecoder codec. The codec output does not allow direct connection to the overlay mixer or with the video renderer but inserts an additional "AVI decompressor" filter between the codec and the video renderer (But the codec does not decompress the stream by itself ???).

When you try to tune the TPS H.264 feed on Hotbird, the CPU load goes immediately to 100%, no image is decoded and just about 2 secs of audio are decoded, then DVBViewer (3.2.6 PRO) hangs and you have to kill it from the task manager.

If I delete the dvbsource.grf and let the system choose the graphs by itself, ffdshow codec is used (it's a matter of merit) and I can see some images at 100% CPU load (unusable anyway, but only a test to see if the DVBViewer setup was correct).

Can you try this codec on your PCs too? I'd like to know if you'll obtain something good from it.