H.264 Kit discussion

hackbart

Original by emmet

Pretty interesting filter, in fact. Thanks for the hint.

No idea how this would eventually work with dvbv, but it really seems nice.

The codec output does not allow direct connection to the overlay mixer or with the video renderer but inserts an additional "AVI decompressor" filter between the codec and the video renderer (But the codec does not decompress the stream by itself ???).

You mean, it should connect something like this? :)

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• klaymen

• Griga

• Zyknyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by deliol

The codec output does not allow direct connection to the overlay mixer or with the video renderer but inserts an additional "AVI decompressor" filter between the codec and the video renderer (But the codec does not decompress the stream by itself ???).

Yes, it connects just like that....It 's a pity that it craches DVBViewer right after (both Pro 3.2.6 and GE 1.8.3)...... :)

I still cannot find a decoder that doesn't loose frames or craches when watching HD-1 h264 or TPS HD h264 !!! Only the "old" moonlight does the job (not good or fast enough though!)

Original by topogigi

I usually avoid vmr. Overlay is way more efficient and it does not use the vido card engine to render images. Try with the overlay video renderer and you'll understand what I mean....

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by emmel

I usually avoid vmr. Overlay is way more efficient and it does not use the vido card engine to render images. Try with the overlay video renderer and you'll understand what I mean....

Ah... ok, I got your point.

But then, doen't it connect correctly as Codec->Overlay mixer->Video renderer?

Anyways, the codec does not work... :)

But as soon as it is capable of handling interlaced stuff, stable, etc,. i'll certainly give it a try. The guys seem to be pretty active and productive, so it shouldn't take long... I hope.

Original by Topogigi

Ah... ok, I got your point.

But then, doen't it connect correctly as Codec->Overlay mixer->Video renderer?

No, it automatically adds an "avi decompressor" filter...

Anyway, I am sure it does not actually render interlaced clips. And it actually does not work with DVBViewer, I agree.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by emmel

Some news about the Cyberlink ATI H264 decoder:

It finally seems to work and connect to any compatible direct show filter, with Catalyst 6.1 drivers for X1*** graphic cards (from 18th Jan).

Just tested it with the H264 1080i promo on 23.5E. The decoder is able to utilize dual core processors and balances load very nicely - playback is 100% smooth with approximately 40% load on AMD x2 4400+.

I'm only pyzzled by the fact, that the DXVA option of the decoder doesn't seem to have any effect with interlaced material. Anyways, the codec is quite nice and for me at least the problem of avc/h264 decoding is now solved.

Original by turntoyou

@emmel

which overlay mixer are you using, i still can`t connect the overlay mixer.

turntoyou

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by emmel

It was the normal one: c:\windows\system32\qdvd.dll

But now that I try to reconstruct the graph, the decoder only accepts vmr. Strange. But the vmr at least works great, no noticable increase in load or decrease in performance that I could measure.

Original by turntoyou

@emmel

thanks for the information i did not get it running, but i am messing around with directx.

turntoyou

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by turntoyou

I tried out pushsource.ax and Pushsource with h.264 support. If i have a look into the statistics of video buffers (while looking at HD-1 Channel with mpeg2) then they are heavy more used in the h.264 Version as in the "normal" version, is this normal behaviour?

regards

turntoyou

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by dOdGE.dIZ

Excuse me. I'm new to PC-based DVB viewing.

Indeed I'm about to buy a SS2 but then realized that the HDTV it can handle is in MPEG-2 (DVB-S), not MPEG-4/H.264 (DVB-S2) which will be the standard for European broadcasts I believe.

After a couple of hours of searching and learning (or trying to), I came across this thread which clarified & confused me in equal measure (dunno nuttin'bout no filters) and mostly put the fear of God in me.

From what I could understand the SkyStar2 card can indeed "receive" the MPEG-4 encoded HDTV stream, and, together with some player and special filters, "open" the video signal. But only when one have a suppaduppa CPU (HT or dual-core, preferably), a high-end gfx-card and a bus wide enough for things not to bottleneck, does it become "viewable".

Original by emmel

Hi Diz,

The Skystar2 card can receive only dvb-s transmissions. The transport stream of dvb-s may, however, contain different types of video, audio, data, and other elementary streams. The video is usually transmitted in mpeg2 format, but there are also some test channels using h264 = mpeg4 avc. These channels may be viewed by using the h264 package of DVBViewer.

The "true" h264/avc hdtv-channels will be using the new dvb-s2 standard, which Skystar2 is unable to receive. For this, you will need newer hardware, like the card from KCN ONE. Chech the dvb-s2 card thread for more details.

Summing up: There can be any combinations of the transmission standards dvb-s and dvb-s2, and the video compression standards mpeg2 and h264. Skystar2 can't handle them all. I hope this helped a bit.

But Skystar2 is a classic, and worth owning anyways :)

emmel

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by dOdGE.dIZ

Hi emmel!

THX for the quick reply and clear answer.

I was confused by Derrick being able to watch "TPS HD" with SS2, not realizing the service is using the DVB-S standard to, as you put it, "transport" a MPEG-4 stream (right?).

Therefore, Pro7/Sat.1, et al, using "true" DVB-S2 can be watched ONLY through a DVB-S2 complying tuner and, certainly, a MPEG-4/H.264 decoder chip, to ease the strain on the CPU (right? again??) Question: Do the KSN1 or (the much cheaper) Technotrend cards have both?

Regarding the Skystar2 being worth purchasing no matter what, I'm thinking "€200 for a Sat-PC card? NFW! €120? Just maybe...". On the other hand, SS2 has unrivaled support.

So, I guess I'm still ordering the SkyStar.

Original by Emmel

Right you are.

Dvb-s2 is backwards compliant to dvb-s. Therefore, the new KCN ONE and Technotrend cards should be able to handle all possible fta stuff at least.

Personally, I'll wait for a while before spending my money into the new technology. Maybe next summer... Meanwhile, I'll let my good old Twinhan and Skystar2 do the job :)

Original by Mitsu

Would it be possible to watch H.264 with DVBViewer Pro (Beta)? I tried the simple way: registered the H264 version of DVB source filter and Elecard decoder. Didn't work (DVBViewer was shut down by windows).

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by bergh

Hello !

If you have an Direct Show Filter for H264 installed properly it shall show it.

Give VLC = Video Lan Client a try, because it has its own Filters.

Sometimes this is a great advantage, somtimes not.

Original by Mitsu

Hello !

If you have an Direct Show Filter for H264 installed properly it shall show it.

Give VLC = Video Lan Client a try, because it has its own Filters.

Sometimes this is a great advantage, somtimes not.

I installed PushSource H264 version and Elecard AVC/H.264 Decoder Pack. Looking with the GraphEdit there is nothing connected to the DVBSource filter H264 pin. If I try to connect manually H264 pin and Elecard H264 decoder input pin GraphEdit tells that they are incompatible.

Edit: Now it is working. For some reason PushSource wanted to connect to Intervideo H264 decoder which crashed DVBViewer. After unregistering that filter Elecard decoder was activated.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by yaRincewind

Just a hint for Webspace for those who don´t know:

www.rapidshare.de allows any person to upload a file, and anyone can donwload it. Therefore you get a link after uploading, this link should be distributed in the forum.

The free version allows 30MB / hour download. The link will remain for 30 days after the last download has being made. This should make sharing TS Streams for testing easy.

Original by bakerpr

Just started to use this new h264 kit with coreavc but i'm getting a vertical split in the picture approx a third across the screen width.

Is there a simple cure for this?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Derrick

yes, this bug is known. It will be hopefully solved soon. A recorded TS_stream just plays fine. It's only a promo loop anyway. You could tune to 13E, 11996V for the sky Promo HD. No problems there cos it's 1920 and not 1440 wink.gif

Original by emmel

Thanks for the new source filter, it works fine even on a single core amd 3200+ with reasonable load around 70%. With amd x2 4400+ the load with hd forum is around 30%.

I have only one question: Do you think there is a way for signaling the decoder with the correct frame rate? Through dpb parameters maybe? I'm experiencing some problems every now and then with the new filter. The new ts-player seems to be able to handle coorrectly the i50-parts of the transmissions, but gets in trouble when the signal is p25. Or somebody gets in trouble, don't know if the source or decoder. This behaviour is just the opposite to what I experience if I conver the ts-recordings into mp4, and feed the decored with these converted files.

Original by remlap

Hey can someone do a quick start up guide I want to view the TPS promo of Hotbird ive installed the h264 kit into the plugins folder.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

Hi, ive just purchased a copy of DVBViewer and waiting to get the exe and installed a full version of the Coreavc code grin.gif

I hope to be rolling soon.

Original by Oliver

ive installed the h264 kit into the plugins folder.

And what did you do with the filter?

Original by Oliver

Maybe you should put it into the filters folders. Remove the "normal" filter before.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

Installed it to the same directory "Plugins" I guess I unzipped all files into that folder.

If you are not able or not willing to read the included ReadMe file... forget it.

I didnt have a way to open an .rtf file I do now, ive only today installed DVBViewer GE

If you want DVBViewer GE to use a specific decoder (e.g. CoreAVC), use the RadLight Filter Manager to unregister all decoders that are placed above the desired decoder in the ranking list.

Where do I obtain this please.

Orignal by daffy

I didnt have a way to open an .rtf file.

Every installation of Microsoft Windows since Windows 98 has had the ability to open .RTF files in, say, Wordpad.

Every text processing application for the past ten odd years has had the ability to open .RTF files (e.g. Microsoft Word, StarOffice, WordPerfect - you name it, it can read RTF).

You might wish to figure out which (or rather: how many) of the applications on your system allow you to read RTF ;-)

Please, do RTF RTF documentation. :-)

(Sorry, could not resist the pun)

Guest Lars_MQ

Orignal by daffy

If you want DVBViewer GE to use a specific decoder (e.g. CoreAVC), use the RadLight Filter Manager to unregister all decoders that are placed above the desired decoder in the ranking list.

Where do I obtain this please.

Try typing RadLight Filter Manager into Google?

For me, the first ten odd entries return download locations, with the others containing very specific information about the tool.

Original by remlap

Daffy

I relised afterwards for some reason it was showing the default no program icon, so I guessed it was a systems file, ive since updated it to open in Word.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

I have now set each of the decoders in the read me file to be not used and the coreavc codec to be used.

How do I know im using this codec, im sorry for sound such a noob thats because I am!

Edit - Now ive unregistered everything but corecodec DVBViewer shows nothing, any help here please.

Original by emmel

View->Filters. Then, just play around a little bit with your new nice toy, read the manuals, chech the menus etc., it does not blow up your house anyways if you try :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

View->Filters. Then, just play around a little bit with your new nice toy, read the manuals, chech the menus etc., it does not blow up your house anyways if you try :)

Thanks emmel, now ive got that menu up its the configuration page, its says its running in H264 Active which I think is correct.

And Color Space Output YV12 is this correct guys?

Im a nusiance I know :D

Working perfectly now no problems.

Original by Griga

Just started to use this new h264 kit with coreavc but i'm getting a vertical split in the picture approx a third across the screen width. Is there a simple cure for this?

The CoreAVC relies on the resolution reported by the DVBViewer Filter when connecting to it. Obviously it doesn't evaluate the resolution info in the video headers (in contrast to all up-to-date MPEG2 video decoders).

The "Automatic Video Format Detection" option (DVBViewer -> Settings -> Options -> DirectShow resp. DirectX) is supposed to be the cure. It lets the DVBViewer Filter break the connection if the actual format differs from the default format and then reconnect with the correct information.

However, in this case it doesn't work for some reason, as Derrick reported. I've checked everything twice, but can't figure out what's wrong. Since I can't receive a H.264 broadcast, there is no possibiliy to use debug facilities.... so we have to wait until some lucky break reveales the mystery.

Do you think there is a way for signaling the decoder with the correct frame rate?

Probably not. If you use the H264ParamReader you'll see that the sequence_parameter_set contains a fixed_frame_rate_flag (not mandatory, may be missing). If it is set (= 1), the frame rate can be calculated in the following way

frame rate in fps = time_scale / num_units_in_tick

as I've just discovered (though I'm not sure if it applies to all cases). However, in the HDForum stream and some others, including Pro7, the fixed_frame_rate_flag is set to zero, which means, the frame rate may vary (?). Somewhere buried deep down in the video data there is an average_frame_rate information, but I won't dig so far... much work with dubious chance of success.

Maybe we have to say good bye to the idea of a fixed frame rate in this respect - dunno. H.264 still is a puzzle, that requires patience and a lot of time....

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

Hi, Guys just a quick question, when I try to play back a recorded transport stream in H264 in DVBViewer I cant seem to get it to play other than audio.

Any ideas if possible.

Thanks for all the great help so far.