H.264 Kit discussion

hackbart

Original by remlap

BBC Have began thier tests on Astra 2D on 10847V

I get this error though

The "pro version" supports only PAFF (mixture of interlaced and progressive frames).

It does not support MBAFF (mixture of interlaced and progressive macroblocks within a frame) though. Thats part of the "enterprise version" which is not out yet. So, no go. Maybe later.

Any other codecs out there yet that does support this?

Typical of the BBC using something no-one can view

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• klaymen

• Griga

• Zyknyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

No, just go ahead. Then, you either buy elecard or uninstall it, thats it.

Im still new to this how would I get it running after installation it still defaults to coreavc.

Sorry for my stupid questions

Original by emmel

You can choose the decoder to use from the DirectX options. Change it to elecard, or coreavc, as you wish.

Original by emmel

It is within the standards. Complicated bandwidth optimizing stuff, but standard though. No experience from stb's, can't comment on that.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

I actually dont even belive this is HD they are follow the same schedule by listening the audio as regular BBC1 this probably just a test using H.264 encoders.

Original by sgauntlett

I can decode it using the Cyberlink AVC decoder and AC3 audio :)

Not as smooth playback as other transmissions though. More complex AVC encoding tools I guess.

Original by Derrick

from elecard (now mainconcept) via http streaming. It's the normal program upscaled to 1440x1088 :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

from elecard (now mainconcept) via http streaming. It's the normal program upscaled to 1440x1088  :) 

Hey can you give me instructions on how to achive this?

Thanks

Original by Spud

from elecard (now mainconcept) via http streaming. It's the normal program upscaled to 1440x1088  :) 

Derrick,

Is it on 10847, V, 22000, 5/6 and is it on the air right now?

Jim.

Original by Spud

yep, that's where the shot is taken from :)

Thanks Derrick, I have it now but only on the PC. I was trying to tune it in on my Humax HDCI-2000 but without success, probably because of the unusual PID's

Jim.

Original by pankov

:)

Great news, but what's your source? Did Betaboy mentioned it somewhere in the big thread over at doom9?

Original by sneals

I actually dont even belive this is HD they are follow the same schedule by listening the audio as regular BBC1 this probably just a test using H.264 encoders.

This is the BBC HD Trial starting tests. It is likely to be carrying a feed of BBC One 16:9 standard def upconverted to 1080/50i and then broadcast at 1080/50i.

At one point it was expected that all the HD Trial would be was a BBC One simulcast, with shows shot in HD shown in HD, and those shot in SD upconverted to HD.

However much of the BBC's HD production includes BBC Two and BBC Four programmes, so it is now expected that the BBC HD Trial channel will carry a "best of" BBC HD mix of live sport in HD (World Cup and Wimbledon Centre and No.1 courts) and pre-recorded shows (though drama may be rationed as presumably it has high repeat fees)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by bakerpr

I can also decode mpeg4 h264 live streams including BBC HD using the cyberlink decoder.

Is there a way of recording the stream for playback either in DVBViewer or any other software? I have tried recording TS but can only playback audio.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by sneals

1440x1088? 4:3? Strange resolution...for european HD transmissions at least.

1440x1088 is one of the HD resolutions used for HD in Australia on DTT, and it is also the resolution Sky used for their Windows Media demo clips on the Sky HD website. Apparently it is also used by Euro1080 for some broadcasts.

HDCam - one of the most popular HD video tape recording formats used by broadcasters reduces 1920x1080 to 1440x1080 on tape (it uses 3:1:1 not 4:2:2 sampling on tape, so the Chroma res drops from 960x1080 to 480x1080), and in the US resolutions as low as 1280x1080 (640x540 chroma using 4:2:0) are used for HD broadcasting on satellite to reduce bandwith. If you have a limited bandwith, reducing the horizontal resolution is a way of reducing MPEG artefacts - not ideal, but a trade-off between resolution and blocking.

Of course the 1440x1088 video is 16:9 video still - it is just no longer square-pixel, instead the pixels/samples have an aspect ratio that isn't 1:1, which has always been the case for standard def digital TV in both 16:9 and 4:3 - as 702x576 (or 704 or 720) aren't square pixel standards.

If it hadn't been for the heavy influence of the IT/PC market in the US (which hates non-square pixels) it is likely we would have had non-square HD standards more widely used. The original Japanese digital HD standard was 1440x1035 in digital format (1440 is twice 720), and the European 1250 line HD system used 1440x1152 (1440=2x720 and 1152=2x576) for digital VT recording.

Original by bakerpr

I have managed to playback a recording of the BBC Test channel on both TSplayer and the latest version of mediaplayer classic. However only in mp classic can I get smooth playback.

Smooth playback is only available when the standard video renderer is used.

Selecting any other VR7 or VR9 or overlay renderers results in similar jerky playback as live viewing or in TSplayer.

Is there any method to force DVBViewer to use this renderer or is an update to the H264 Filter required ?

Do the think a faster processor would be required to use the more advanced renderers ?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Griga

The default video renderer depends on the OS. Win98/2000: Simple (classic) video renderer, WinXP: VMR7 in Overlay Mode.

In TSPlayer you can select them all. Please read the according chapter in the manual.

Original by remlap

I have managed to playback a recording of the BBC Test channel on both TSplayer and the latest version of mediaplayer classic. However only in mp classic can I get smooth playback.

Smooth playback is only available when the standard video renderer is used.

Selecting any other VR7 or VR9 or overlay renderers results in similar jerky playback as live viewing or in TSplayer.

Is there any method to force DVBViewer to use this renderer or is an update to the H264 Filter required ?

Do the think a faster processor would be required to use the more advanced renderers ?

What codec are you using?

Mediaplayer classic and TSplayer defaults to Coreavc for me.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by bakerpr

I'm using the cyberlink codec which is I believe the only one capable of decoding BBC HD. You can choose to use this in external filter settings or unregister coreavc temporarily.

Original by remlap

I'm using the cyberlink codec which is I believe the only one capable of decoding BBC HD. You can choose to use this in external filter settings or unregister coreavc temporarily.

Nevermind working now :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Derrick

I have the same black line at the bottom od the picture. The last 8 lines are sometimes black but here the full 1088 lines are encoded

Original by Mr. Bun

I've installed Elecard AVC/H.264 Decoder Pack trial version and it also decodes BBC HD. :)

However it causes some problems with TSPlayer 1.7.2 (H.264).

When I start TSPlayer 1.7.2 I get an error message that says " kein gültiger Wert für GUID. After OKing that TSPlayer identifies itself as version 1.6 (!) and the decoder-drop-down-lists in the Settings-Tab are all empty (see screenshot) and you can't drag-and-drop a file onto the TSPlayer window. If you need more info let me know.

Regarding the thin black line near the bottom of the picture: I get that as well with VMR9 but *not* in overlay-mode.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Griga

kein gültiger Wert für GUID.

The registry is messed up in some way, I suppose.

TSPlayer queries Windows for all DirectShow filters that support certain media types. Windows enumerates them, including their CLSID as strings. TSPlayer converts the strings to GUIDs, and that's where it happens, due to invalid characters or something like that... a run time error, that lets TSPlayer skip the whole initialization process.

I could do some more exception handling, but that would only cure the symptom...

Original by Mr. Bun

Thanks for the info.

I've deinstalled Elecard AVC/H.264 Decoder Pack -> TSPlayer 1.7.2 starts ok.

Re-installed Elecard AVC/H.264 Decoder Pack -> the error is back.

BTW: RadLight Filter Manager works ok! Doesn't it do pretty much the same thing as the TSPLayer initialization process (i.e. read filter related keys from the Registry)?

I'll try to find the guilty Registry-key using Sysinternals' RegMon when I have some time to spare.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Griga

RadLight Filter Manager works ok!

It catches exceptions caused by StringToGUID function calls and continues with a null GUID.

Original by Derrick

On my machine I have installed both filters from elecard or moonlight. Moonlight's H.264 video decoder behaves like a normal directshow filter.

Elecard's AVC plugin decoder (now mainconcept) only works with the latest elecard player and can't be put in a normal graph (not in the list of directshow). On the other hand, there is no interference with the filters used in the DVBViewer. The only way I manged to use the avc_plugin for live decoding is by http streaming from the dvbviewer_pro to the elecard player.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by mcwebster

Has anyone tried using the latest Full Matroska Pack for h264 compliance with BBC HD? I'm trying to get it to work, but am just hitting a brick wall. Probably need a sledge hammer to break it. Am using DVBViewer GE and the H264 plugin but to no avail.

Original by Mr. Bun

No, haven't tried it. As the Matroska pack uses the ffdshow decoder filter - which AFAIK does not support interlaced H.264 material - I would be suprised if it could play the BBC's interlaced HD broadcast.

To my knowledge these filters do work with BBC material:

- Elecard AVC/H.264 Decoder Pack (@Derrick: this is a DirectShow filter, unlike the Elecard AVC PlugIn for MPEG Player)

- MainConcept H.264 Encoder v2.0.15 for Windows

- Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 Deluxe (dont know whether the H.264 filter is included in the trial version)

Remember that you will need an extremely high spec PC for smooth playback. :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by remlap

I am now trying Sonic AVC Decoder from recomendations for BBC HD tests

Video plays fine to a point

Screen Cap

This weird problem happens big black bars on the right of the program