H.264 Kit discussion

hackbart

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

Ok, after a morning of tries with my new shining DVBViewer + H.264 kit, I can report that HdForum (reported now as 1440x1080i H.264) just takes 40% of Cpu-load with PDVD7 H.264 codec with DxVA on, impressive result indeed. On other H.264 HD channels I've got mixed result: on ARTE testing H.264, I've got every now and then few dropped frames, on SkyIT HD test channels, that are using 720p, the frame loss is more noticeable, and Cpuload way higher.

I experience jerky playback with HD_FORUM, compared to 720p sources, maybe simply because accounts with a greater number of pixels put a heavier load on the decoder.

As to the DxVA, although not definitely a solution yet, it defintely offloads a fair 20-30% from the main cpu. With 720p sources average cpu in use is less than 70% with DxVA enabled, while around 100% when not.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• klaymen

• Griga

• Zyknyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Original by Zyknyp

I experience jerky playback with HD_FORUM, compared to 720p sources, maybe simply because accounts with a greater number of pixels put a heavier load on the decoder.

As to the DxVA, although not definitely a solution yet, it defintely offloads a fair 20-30% from the main cpu. With 720p sources average cpu in use is less than 70% with DxVA enabled, while around 100% when not.

HdForum is 100% smooth on me: I've tried DvbViewerGE and found this handles 720p SkyIT channels much better than DvbviewerPro and Beta, in fact it is almost 100% fluid, even though the Cpu-load is around 85% averagely; but also HdForum takes more Cpu cycles with GE, remaining completely flawless nevertheless.

I've tried adjusting latency to obtain better results with 720p channels on DVBViewer Beta, but I can see that the Cpuload starts low, than grows up to hit 100% ceiling (and that's where the frames are dropped) within seconds, then it goes back low on CPUload, and keeps on doing that. Extending latency I just change the time in seconds that the Cpuload takes to hit ceiling, furthermore performance degrades as time progresses; by reducing the latency I've got rid of the "stuttering" but I get an awful tearing of the images instead. It seems I can't find a good balance with DVBViewer Pro/Beta.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

I've tried DvbViewerGE and found this handles 720p SkyIT channels much better than DvbviewerPro and Beta

In fact, I'm not using latest DVBViewer GE_1_9_5_3_test, because it has had actually worse performance for me. As an indication, using the same Cyberlink decoder, GE uses more cpu, almost fully. Playback is much more jerky than it is in DVBViewer Beta. All in all, I would say that hardware acceleration in GE is not used for some reason, given that deselecting the DxVA checkbox does not exhibit any change: this what really looks like.

My Cpu is not an outperformer, yours is better, and that could explain why you get the best results with GE, where in-software processing can do it and the lack of hardware acceleration might pass unobserved, perhaps not intervening obnoxious in some way.

Original by ginacman

Let me further comment my tests with DVBViewer Beta, that I can obtain overlapping results when viewing live and then re-playing in PowerDVD (*) the same grabbed content, both in terms of quality of experience and of cpu utilizations, never reaching critical thresholds.

That reconnects to video hardware properly used in Beta and in PowerDVD, this latter akin to the decoder.

(*) Like PowerDVD, DVBViewer Beta can also re-play that content, although at comparatively higher cpu cost. Perahps significantly, DVBViewer GE *cannot*

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Torben

Hello boez,

thanks for the file.

Yo may know in Germany its "Pfingsten" wich means a free Monday tomorrow. I will right after I got the program...

Torben

Original by Griga

Like PowerDVD, DVBViewer Beta can also re-play that content, although at comparatively higher cpu cost. Perahps significantly, DVBViewer GE *cannot*

The Cyberlink (PowerDVD6) MPEG2 decoder stores its settings separately for each program that uses it. Maybe the H.264 decoder does the same. Check the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Common

...just a guess. I can't imagine any other reason.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by klaymen

Let me further comment my tests with DVBViewer Beta, that I can obtain overlapping results when viewing live and then re-playing in PowerDVD (*) the same grabbed content, both in terms of quality of experience and of cpu utilizations, never reaching critical thresholds.

That reconnects to video hardware properly used in Beta and in PowerDVD, this latter akin to the decoder.

(*) Like PowerDVD, DVBViewer Beta can also re-play that content, although at comparatively higher cpu cost. Perahps significantly, DVBViewer GE *cannot*

Is this the BBC HD footage (Planet Earth or the like) that you can play with PowerDVD..? can only replay BBC footage using TSPlayer or DVBViewer itself, PowerDVD shows no video at all. Only for other h.264 material (Astra, HDForum, etc), but not BBC. I always thought because of timestamps...

I just tried again replaying the Angel Falls part in 4 combinations, some result was strange.

- 3.4.10.13 beta, Overlay renderer: peaks at about 95% CPU (but smooth)

- 3.4.10.13 beta, VMR7 renderer: first CPU core at 25%, second at 100%, average around 63%, jerky output (what breaks one CPU core..?)

- 1.9.5.3 GE, Overlay mode: same as 3.4.10.13 beta

- 1.9.5.3 GE, VMR7 renderer: peaks at about 90% and smooth

So VMR7 seems to be better than Overlay, but something breaks one CPU core in the beta version.

Also, using Forceware 91.28 and overlay renderer, I only get a green screen when I watch SDTV channel in beta as well as in GE version. live as well as using playback (HDTV channe are fine, no matter whether AVC or MPEG2). Even worse in TSPlayer; there I must use VMR9 as renderer, overlay as well as VMR7 give only a green screen. Using HDTV content, I must change to VMR7 though in TSPlayer, otherwise I only get a fourth-sized image. All pretty strange, maybe I'll go back to Forceare 84.21 again...

Original by ginacman

Is this the BBC HD footage (Planet Earth or the like) that you can play with PowerDVD..? 

Only 1280x720 50fps content is in current reliable reach of my system (P4@2,88 GeForce 6600GT with latest beta drivers). Those clips are from the SkyItaly promo service.

BBC's and HD_FORUM's footage are not, they result abundantly jerky and cpu choking. However, grabbed content from HD_FORUM can be offline correctly reproduced by PowerDVD7. DVBViewer Beta playing remains jerky.

By the way, 50fps can be deemed as interlace synonymous in this case?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

The Cyberlink (PowerDVD6) MPEG2 decoder stores its settings separately for each program that uses it. Maybe the H.264 decoder does the same. Check the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Common

...just a guess. I can't imagine any other reason.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Common\cl264dec stores a single key value that equals to "DVBViewer"

Original by Zyknyp

Is this the BBC HD footage (Planet Earth or the like) that you can play with PowerDVD..?  

Only 1280x720 50fps content is in current reliable reach of my system (P4@2,88 GeForce 6600GT with latest beta drivers). Those clips are from the SkyItaly promo service.

BBC's and HD_FORUM's footage are not, they result abundantly jerky and cpu choking. However, grabbed content from HD_FORUM can be offline correctly reproduced by PowerDVD7. DVBViewer Beta playing remains jerky.

By the way, 50fps can be deemed as interlace synonymous in this case?

Interistingly HdFroum is smooth for me, but 720p channels by SkyIT stutter instead...

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

Interistingly HdFroum is smooth for me, but 720p channels by SkyIT stutter instead...

Supposing 50fps means interlace and 25 fps means progressive, it would give HD_FORUM be progressive and , in spite of its greater resolution, it would put less load on the hardware acceleration of non-interlaced video. Which video board are you using?

Original by Zyknyp

nVidia 6600 256Mb AGP. And I think it's the other way around: 50fps progressive and 25fps interlaced.

Original by ginacman

Also, the H264ParamReader utility gives, for grabbed HD_FORUM clips, interlaced, while progressive for the other.

Have you got any more example of progressive sources?

As an informative piece of information, I believe that future version of DVBViewer could add the progressive/interlaced indication in its right bottom corner of the status bar, if already not there and I've not seen.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Zyknyp

Also, the H264ParamReader utility gives, for grabbed HD_FORUM clips, interlaced, while progressive for the other.

Have you got any more example of progressive sources?

As an informative piece of information, I believe that future version of DVBViewer could add the progressive/interlaced indication in its right bottom corner of the status bar, if already not there and I've not seen.

I already did a check with H264ParamReader, I'll post later the results for SkyIT 720p .TS files. (BTW, the SkyIT channel supposedly dedicated to showing WC matches in HD has now switched to 1080i in Mpeg2....go figure).

Original by ginacman

[...] has now switched to 1080i in Mpeg2....go figure).

that woud be rather new to me, Is it a question or a statement?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by torben

Hello guys,

the BBCTestTS does not play smooth with PDVD7 Deluxe.

ANIXEHD.ts doesn't too...

But I'm going to buy a 6600 GPU right after the DVB-S2 card to hardware accelerate it.

BUT:

AnixeHD.ts played smooth with the trial...

Hope Cyberlink will release an upüdate soon.

torben

Original by Zyknyp

Somehow I've got the feeling you bought the PDVD7 that DOESN'T have the support for H.264 DXVA Hw acceleration (anymore), whilst the former trial had it. Cyberlink screwed quite a few costumers with that...

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

Somehow I've got the feeling you bought the PDVD7 that DOESN'T have the support for H.264 DXVA Hw acceleration (anymore), whilst the former trial had it. Cyberlink screwed quite a few costumers with that...

Yes, I think that sensible.

Perhaps, you could :

1) Uninistall your purchased PDVD7

2) Download and install, the trialware

3) Backup and put apart the entire Videofilters folder

4) Uninstall PDVD7 trialware

5) Re-install your purchased PDVD7

6 Restore your Videofilters folder, replacing your purchased copy of it.

That, most likely, would set the codecs right for you. I´ve already seen that done a couple of days ago.

Original by Torben

No, I'm going to writte to the Support, because on Trial Download page there the HWAcceleration support isn't mentioned anymore. A press relaese says istb would give an enhancement pack...

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by fedmond31

Just started to use this new h264 kit with coreavc but i'm getting a vertical split in the picture approx a third across the screen width. Is there a simple cure for this?

The CoreAVC relies on the resolution reported by the DVBViewer Filter when connecting to it. Obviously it doesn't evaluate the resolution info in the video headers (in contrast to all up-to-date MPEG2 video decoders).

The "Automatic Video Format Detection" option (DVBViewer -> Settings -> Options -> DirectShow resp. DirectX) is supposed to be the cure. It lets the DVBViewer Filter break the connection if the actual format differs from the default format and then reconnect with the correct information.

However, in this case it doesn't work for some reason, as Derrick reported. I've checked everything twice, but can't figure out what's wrong. Since I can't receive a H.264 broadcast, there is no possibiliy to use debug facilities.... so we have to wait until some lucky break reveales the mystery.

@ griga,

Hi

have you progressed in this matter, i am testing the new beta coreavc 1.1

and unfortunatly ive got the split in all H264 channels BBC, TPS demo and french terrestrial.

is it a core avc or dvbV/GE problem ? any hope ?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Zyknyp

The green vertical split does not occur with 720p channels, with CoreAVC 1.0 that is. I can't comment what happens with 1.1 (no Beta).

Original by Nick [D]vB

Hi Griga,

Have you tested the CoreAVC 1.1 beta yourself?

I do not get the color or green bar issues but I am getting stalling every few seconds,

it is not CPU related because it never goes above 70% - Any thoughts?

What DVBSource settings would you suggest I try?

PS - how did you get on with VSS?

Original by Torben

sic est:

I got an answer from Cyberlink's support:

There will be a patch for PowerDVD7 within end of this month, wich contians a new/better H.264 Decoder (the fixed/reprogrammed one from the former trial; there seemed to be a provlem with it) with enabled HW acceleration for the NVIDIA 6/7 GPU series and for the ATI GPUS with this feature.

At this point:

Very good support. I got an answer five minutes after I sent my question!

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by fedmond31

sorry griga but i have tried to read the whole topic and i am using latest DVBVGe 2.0 but im still having the green vertical split

am i missing something ?

thanks and apologise if misunderstood

@Griga

i think its 1-1 now

On my setup:

DVBViewer GE 2_0_0 has the "green line bug" definitly

DVBViewer pro latest beta 3_4_11 + H264kit 1_2_2 does not have the bug

Thanks for your effort

Original by Griga

Just check "video format detection" and the green line goes away.

That will do the trick. Settings -> Options -> DirectShow -> TV/Radio Format Detection -> Video. In DVBViewer Pro it is ticked by default, in DVBViewer GE not, because for MPEG2 video it's just a waste of (channel switching) time in most cases.

Have you tested the CoreAVC 1.1 beta yourself? PS - how did you get on with VSS?

I didn't, and I'm not getting on. Unfortunately there is only little time for things like that, my job and my family keep me busy, the income tax return is still on on my back :arrow: a TransEdit update is long overdue, etc, etc.

However, last tuesday I got my new dish :huh: and that's how it looks like:

http://www.satversand24.de/technisat-multytenne-45-L412.shtm

It's a 45 cm dish with a special LNB for receiving Hotbird, Astra 19.2° East, Astra 23.5° East, and Astra/Eurobird 28.5° East (only suitable for Germany resp. Central Europe). Due to the conditions here it has to be a small one, not on the roof, but hidden between bushes. ;)

Nevertheless it provides a good signal quality, as reported in the web, though many people won't believe it. Since I live in the western part of Germany, I will (hopefully) be able to receive BBC HD, at least if it is not raining too hard. Thus the dish will remove one of the main obstacles for H.264 programming here. It's quite difficult to get it working properly without the ability to receive live streams, you know... Astra 19,2° East only provides H.264 as DVB S2.

So I will spend this weekend with installing and adjusting the stuff (including some digging in the garden). If there's some time left over, I'll first try the Cyberlink Decoder, because many people are already using it, and then I'll see how it goes... however, with my ol' GeForce MX 440 there will be no hardware acceleration, I guess. :(

Anyway - I hope the whole action will help to gain more H.264 experience and enable me to really track what you are talking about here...

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by torben

Hello Griga,

the CyberlinkDecoder works more or less properly. No propblems in connecting with the DVBSource, but decoding problems, but they'll be fixed soon.

I could decode smoothly without HW acceleration with the Decoder from the Trial.

Torben

Original by GilesC

vB,Jun 8 2006, 03:33 PM]Hi Griga,

I do not get the color or green bar issues but I am getting stalling every few seconds,

I downloaded the 1.1 version of CoreAVC at lunchtime and gave it a go. I get about 2 seconds of video and then DVBViewer hangs completely. Anyone else having the same problems? Or have any idea what might be causing it?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by goelectric

vB,Jun 8 2006, 03:33 PM]Hi Griga,

I downloaded the 1.1 version of CoreAVC at lunchtime and gave it a go. I get about 2 seconds of video and then DVBViewer hangs completely. Anyone else having the same problems? Or have any idea what might be causing it?

I get the same 2s and then nothng with DVBViewer Beta - it plays a bit longer if I run DVBViewer GE with the CoreAVC 1.1 (which was not using Overlay iso VM9) when I switch to VM9 it halts- eventually I have to re-boot my system to get back to the Cyberlink Codec working state :arrow:

So far no luck with the CoreAVC holy grail - and Germany kick off in an hour or so :huh:

Original by fedmond31

now Coreavc 1.1 issued today working wonderful with DVBViewer GE 2_0_1 , I watched the first world cup match on BBC HD totally smooth first quality

i used standard deblocking and directshow deinterlacing with ffd show as audio decoder and overlay, i have pentium D930 with NVidia GF 6600GT cpu load well balanced always at 70%+, all other H264 channels i can get also 100% smooth (TPS/HB demo and french dvb terrestrial)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Blueking

I tested the new version of CoreAVC on the today's BBC HD Football match, but found Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 codex much more smoother when using VR6 and VR9 modes.

I'm using am AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800 CPU + Nvidia 7800GT + Asus A8N32-SLI/Deluxe Motherboard + DVBViewer GE V2_0_1

Using NVIDIA Forceware V91.28 (Beta) Graphics driver on XP Media Centre and NVIDIA AC3 audio decoder.

Original by AssasiN

now  Coreavc 1.1  issued today working wonderful  with DVBViewer GE 2_0_1 , I watched the first world cup match on BBC HD totally smooth first quality

i used standard deblocking and directshow  deinterlacing with ffd show as audio decoder and overlay, i have pentium D930 with NVidia GF 6600GT cpu load well balanced always at 70%+, all other H264 channels i can get also 100% smooth (TPS/HB demo and french dvb terrestrial)

Hey dude, what drivers are you using ? Because I've got a similar system, P43.0 GHz, 2x512MB DDR400, 6600GT and HD Forum is chopping a little bit with cyberlink pdvd7's decoder and a bit more with the CoreAVC codec (although cpu load is lower with it). And are there any secrets, because I'm sure my pc absolutely capable of decoding those live streams.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Zyknyp

now Coreavc 1.1 issued today working wonderful with DVBViewer GE 2_0_1 , I watched the first world cup match on BBC HD totally smooth first quality

i used standard deblocking and directshow deinterlacing with ffd show as audio decoder and overlay, i have pentium D930 with NVidia GF 6600GT cpu load well balanced always at 70%+, all other H264 channels i can get also 100% smooth (TPS/HB demo and french dvb terrestrial)

Hey dude, what drivers are you using ? Because I've got a similar system, P43.0 GHz, 2x512MB DDR400, 6600GT and HD Forum is chopping a little bit with cyberlink pdvd7's decoder and a bit more with the CoreAVC codec (although cpu load is lower with it). And are there any secrets, because I'm sure my pc absolutely capable of decoding those live streams.

Have you activated Hyperthreading in your P4? Anyway, Fedmond31 has a real dual-core CPU, and CoreAVC does take advantage of multicore setups...even Hyperthreading alone can make a difference.

Original by fedmond31

Hey dude, what drivers are you using ? Because I've got a similar system, P43.0 GHz, 2x512MB DDR400, 6600GT and HD Forum is chopping a little bit with cyberlink pdvd7's decoder and a bit more with the CoreAVC codec (although cpu load is lower with it). And are there any secrets, because I'm sure my pc absolutely capable of decoding those live  streams.

its not a matter of driver (i use nvidia 84.21) the difference between dual core and P4 HT 3.0GHz is enormous in that matter !! just make sure you have unticked

" use 1 cpu " in dvbV Ge options if yes its definitly your cpu power not strong enough