H.264 Kit discussion

hackbart

hmmmm ... I've been a bit dubious about the cyberlink filter from the start but it has consistently given me the best results even though I have never been able to completely eliminate the judder from certain 'difficult' clips (eg. the Angel Falls fly-by on the BBC HD promo channel). But even if it only has limited value at present, DxVA definitely gives me some benefit - disabled, HD channels are unwatchable, enabled, they are very nearly smooth.

I saw an article recently (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2798) which suggests that the 'Purevideo' acceleration in the nvidia drivers only handles 'the motion compensation and deblocking steps of decode' and that they hope to add 'CABAC and CAVLC support' at a later date. I'm not sure what CABAC and CAVLC are exactly but apparently they need a shed load of clock cycles. So maybe, for those of us with nvidia cards, it's the GPU drivers that we need to hope get updated soon and not the cyberlink filter.

On the subject of recorded vs. live streams I can report that I can also get perfectly smooth playback on recorded clips from the BBC HD promo channel. I tried both the GE and pro versions of DVBViewer to play a ts file on the local disk with the same results - perfect! I also tried to play the ts file from a network share on the machine that normally runs DVBserver and got similar results to live viewing - occasional slight judder. Again with DxVA off the recorded clips are always unwatchable.

Interestingly, playing the ts file from the local disk gave me CPU loads of 90 - 95% consistently and only once every 5 minutes or so briefly hit 100%. Whereas live playback (and network share) both result in a consistent load of 100% with occasional drops to something in the 90s. So it looks like local disk IO is just efficient enough to keep my poor CPU from being completely swamped but the extra overhead introduced by network IO just tips it over the edge.

Oh well, back to waiting for that shiny new conroe to arrive .... :(

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• klaymen

• Griga

• Zyknyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

klaymen:

Have you tried playing the recording using DVBViewer itself while the recording is going on? Start recording of the live HD-stream and immediately start playing the recording from the file being recorded. I use this method regularly. Would this have any impact to CPU load and jerkiness?

Other method to try might be to use another instance of DVBViewer as a player. For instance using the earlier version for recording and the latest version for playing.

Have you tried playing the recording using DVBViewer itself while the recording is going on? Start recording of the live HD-stream and immediately start playing the recording from the file being recorded. I use this method regularly. Would this have any impact to CPU load and jerkiness?

Not yet, but this is very similar to what I'm doing, just using TSPlayer instead of DVBViewer itself for playback; and as said, it is fluent then. I don't think that DVBViewer itself would improve the situation, as even playback of a previously recorded file seems more fluent to me using TSPlayer than using DVBViewer. I will try later though whether the CPU dropback scenario also happens this way.

hello I want to buy east equipment but if the channels go fluid dvbs2 (mpg4)

CPU INTEL CORE2 D E6400 2.13 GHZ SK775 1066 MHZ 2MB DUAL CORE

- 256 POINTOFVIEW 7600GT ddr3

- MEMORY 1 GB DDR2 800

is not better amd x2 4600 that pentium 6400 2core? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to this great forum I have been watching BBC HD live successfully since the world cup with DVBViewer, Cyberlink H.264 codec and NVidia 91.31 drivers on my system. I have recently tried recording and playing back TS files of the BBC HD broadcasts. But I am getting crashes (Blue Screen of Death - BSOD) when playing back TS format recordings of the BBC HD shows. For instance the Red Arrows TS recording results in a BSOD after about 3 minutes (and alway at the same point).

Is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone have any suggestions?

klaymen:

I still owe you a reply to this... actually you're right, even in this case playback is smooth, pretty surprisingly. Within the same instance of DVBViewer, recording BBC HD and playing the file back in parallel, at the same time, using the same DVBViewer instance, gives a nearly-smooth playback, but watching it live results in the problems I described.

Note that I write "nearly" smooth, as playback using DVBViewer is not as smooth as playback using TSPlayer in general. The difference is a bit subtle though and probably not really performance-related.

Edited by klaymen