H.264 Decoding Hardware acceleration

kissofwolf

I can play H.264 movie (1080p) stored on harddisc smoothly on my computer using KMplayer and PowerDVD H.264 decoder, but playing DVB-T program is very jerky using DVBViewer, and always crashes.

My computer: P4 3.0C,875P,6600GT AGP,1G DDR。WIN XP SP2,nvidia driver 91.28.

My settings in KMplayer is like this: Mpeg4/QT splitter: GaBest MP4 splitter, H.264 decoder: Cyberlink H.264/AVC decoder.

I am using DVB Pro 3.5, since the H.264 options are already integrated in the options, I did not install the H.264 Kit.

I noticed that there is NO settings for MPEG4 splitter in DVBViewer, I am wondering whether this is the reason that CPU usage is so high. Is it possible to set the splitter?

Is it possible to set the splitter?

No. DVBViewer uses the H.264 splitter that is integrated in the DVBViewer Filter. It must be used, because "real time" live playback requires a special mode of operation (push mode). Most splitters only support pull mode, that is suitable for file playback.

However, the splitter itself doesn't cause a high CPU load. Maybe HW acceleration is not activated for some reason,, don't know...

I can play H.264 movie (1080p) stored on harddisc smoothly on my computer using KMplayer and PowerDVD H.264 decoder, but playing DVB-T program is very jerky using DVBViewer, and always crashes.

Maybe the bitrate of the live content is simply so much higher than in your media file?

You could also try recording a ts-file, and playback with Haali Media Splitter with ts-support for comparison. Or remux the ts into mp4, and check if the load is smaller.

Edited by emmel
Maybe the bitrate of the live content is simply so much higher than in your media file?

You could also try recording a ts-file, and playback with Haali Media Splitter with ts-support for comparison. Or remux the ts into mp4, and check if the load is smaller.

Tried to record using DVBViewer GE, got a piece of mpg file in the folder my videos. Only DVBViewer GE can play it back, also very jerky, same when playing real time. Using PowerDVD or Media player classic, there is no video, only sound.

Just downloaded spiderman 3 HDTV trailer, 1080p version. It can be played smoothly.

Don't know what's wrong.

URL to download the trailer:

http://images.apple.com/movies/sony_pictur...-tsr_h1080p.mov

Tried to record using DVBViewer GE, got a piece of mpg file in the folder my videos. Only DVBViewer GE can play it back, also very jerky, same when playing real time. Using PowerDVD or Media player classic, there is no video, only sound.

Just downloaded spiderman 3 HDTV trailer, 1080p version. It can be played smoothly.

Don't know what's wrong.

URL to download the trailer:

http://images.apple.com/movies/sony_pictur...-tsr_h1080p.mov

Ok. First of all, the trailer consists of main profile h264-video at 10Mbps (1920x912 @23.976fps), and aac-sound at 382kbps. The video has been encoded so that its decoding is relatively easy: cavlc entropy coding, two reference frames, and one b-frame.

On the other hand, live h264-transmissions may be high profile using almost double bitrate with respect to the trailer. They also utilize "more candies" - cabac entropy coding (which makes decoding much harder) and cool interlacing stuff.

On my machice, your trailer took 18% CPU-load to decode. h264 sat-channels may take 50-70%. Maybe you simply need a better avc-codec?

Edited by emmel

I am finally watching BBC HD at rate of 25 fps. the trick was not in the cpu or graphic card but in the setting of core avc 1.1.0.5.(Skip all deblocking,DirectShow de-interlacing) as suggested by steve-s

Unfortunately DVBViewer freeze after 5 seconds and I have no alternative to shut it down using task manager.

With PDVD7 h.264 decoder does not freeze but only 5 fps hence unwatchable.

So definetely we need a better h.264 decoder.

I also have a problem with a new nvidia 6600 gt that cannot enable hardware acceleration with purevideo 30 days trial software. can anybody help on this matter please?

What upset me that steve-s can watch bbc hd at 24 fps with the following pc spec ( worst than mine )

PC spec is:-ShuttleX case + motherboard

P4 2.8ghz with HT

1Gb Ram

ATI Radeon 9200 128Mb Graphics Card

XP Home Edition

DVBViewer GE

CoreAVC decoder

Twinham DVB-S card

These are the setting I have in DVBViewer:

Use only first CPU – unticked (I remember this made a big difference for me)

Enable h.264 – ticked

h.264 vide decoder : CoreAVC video decoder

AC3 Audio decoder : Moonlight Odio Dekoda

Video Renderer : Unchanged

Audio Renderer : Default DirectSound Device

TV/Radio Pre-format Detection : both unticked

CoreAVC Configuration

Skip all deblocking

DirectShow de-interlacing

I get about 24fps watching BBC HD

Hope this helps

on the coreavc 's forum i just find out that my problem now is with my new driver for nvidia 6600gt.

people using the old 81.14 are watching perfectly while 91.34 is messing about with the colour and DVBViewer.

I have noticed that my Twinhan SAT-CI DVB-S causes a lower CPU load than when I use the Skystar2 while watching H.264 channels. That's probably why your friend can watch BBC HD better than on your system.

The sad thing is most broadcasters will change to DVB-S2 and many already have.

So buying DVB-S is only worth buying to watch mainly standard definition channels. I am a lot happier with the sound quality on Twinhan cards. I haven't tried all of them though so take take into account which card I am using.

I am finally watching BBC HD at rate of 25 fps. the trick was not in the cpu or graphic card but in the setting of core avc 1.1.0.5.(Skip all deblocking,DirectShow de-interlacing) as suggested by steve-s

Unfortunately DVBViewer freeze after 5 seconds and I have no alternative to shut it down using task manager.

With PDVD7 h.264 decoder does not freeze but only 5 fps hence unwatchable.

So definetely we need a better h.264 decoder.

I also have a problem with a new nvidia 6600 gt that cannot enable hardware acceleration with purevideo 30 days trial software. can anybody help on this matter please?

What upset me that steve-s can watch bbc hd at 24 fps with the following pc spec ( worst than mine )

PC spec is:-ShuttleX case + motherboard

P4 2.8ghz with HT

1Gb Ram

ATI Radeon 9200 128Mb Graphics Card

XP Home Edition

DVBViewer GE

CoreAVC decoder

Twinham DVB-S card

These are the setting I have in DVBViewer:

Use only first CPU – unticked (I remember this made a big difference for me)

Enable h.264 – ticked

h.264 vide decoder : CoreAVC video decoder

AC3 Audio decoder : Moonlight Odio Dekoda

Video Renderer : Unchanged

Audio Renderer : Default DirectSound Device

TV/Radio Pre-format Detection : both unticked

CoreAVC Configuration

Skip all deblocking

DirectShow de-interlacing

I get about 24fps watching BBC HD

Hope this helps