EPGplus

Rayman

Yep have the same problem, i am hoping it will resolve automatically tomorrow.
Well, it seems to somekind of floating starting point, an hour ago EPG was starting at 21 (about 23 hours ahead) and now its one hour later. I thing EPGplus has its own clock which things that everything up to next 23 hours is already history.
Well, it seems to somekind of floating starting point, an hour ago EPG was starting at 21 (about 23 hours ahead) and now its one hour later. I thing EPGplus has its own clock which things that everything up to next 23 hours is already history.

Looking at my weekly reminders in EPG Plus, it now seems to be fine with the times today...but next week's times are one hour off...weird indeed...

Looking at my weekly reminders in EPG Plus, it now seems to be fine with the times today...but next week's times are one hour off...weird indeed...
Today is now OK but I don't see anything for next monday even there are programs shown in DVBV EGP. Programmed recordings are now there twice with one hour time difference

I confirm the behaviour which depends on the change of summer/winter time. The problem is really wired and I didn't found the solution yet. I will further investigate this.

Would it be possible to add a hilight option based on keyword? For example, I want to hilight program named Ninja Warrior, so I add rule "Ninja Warrior" and TV Guide automatically highlights programs matching this rule. Is this possible?

Currently, you can create a search term and define "Add search results to reminder" as corresponding action. Items which are on the reminder are highlighted in green at the TV guide. EPGplus will (of course) remind you when the particular program begins, maybe thats what you don't want.

Best,

Stefan.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently had some major problem's with epgplus for some weird reason some search term's just dissapeared and others reapeared after i had deleted the items.

I found out that the numsearchitems value in the ini was incorrect, also i think it's sometimes updated wrong.

Problem is that epgplus uses the numsearchitems value to specify how many term_?? items should be read from the ini. The correct way would be in my humble experience to count the number of term_?? value's in the ini and read those value's.

Using an variable is very tricky becouse if it's wrong for some reason u get very erratic and strange behaviour. For instance if u add or remove an item and the searchterm value is wrong it can hide searchterm's u didn't mean to hide or u will get an empty value if the searchtermvalue is to high.

Could u change your app so it will just count the term_?? value's in the ini and remove the numserachitems value from the ini ? this way u will get better visual control if there is some strange error in the ini.

Also in which langue is the app written ? Just curious maybe i could assist a bit if it's one i know.

Hi Rayman,

I have just downloaded 1.08 but have exactly the same problem as Valts above - as soon as I run EPGPlus, it opens it's window but then does nothing, with the hourglass up. Task Manager seems to show it eating CPU and the only way out is to kill the process.

I have added CheckUpdates=0 to the ini file and tried starting it with /f but still no luck. I put Microsoft's Process Monitor on it and it does some stuff when it starts, but then nothing, as if it's in some sort of tight loop.

I am using DVBViewer Pro 3.9.2.0 running on Vista (maybe Vista has something to do with it?)

Am happy to help in trying to find the cause of this.

Thanks for what looks like a great plugin (if only I could get it to work >_< )

I have just downloaded 1.08 but have exactly the same problem as Valts above - as soon as I run EPGPlus, it opens it's window but then does nothing, with the hourglass up. Task Manager seems to show it eating CPU and the only way out is to kill the process.

I have added CheckUpdates=0 to the ini file and tried starting it with /f but still no luck. I put Microsoft's Process Monitor on it and it does some stuff when it starts, but then nothing, as if it's in some sort of tight loop.

I am using DVBViewer Pro 3.9.2.0 running on Vista (maybe Vista has something to do with it?)

Answering my own post, I have found a workaround for this problem. I added a rule to Vista's firewall to block all outgoing connections from epgplus.exe. This immediately allowed it to run and open without hanging.

I guess it must be something to do with changes to the networking introduced into Vista that are upsetting it? Is anyone else running this on Vista without these problems? The only other slightly unusual thing about my setup is that I have two network cards, but I wouldn't imagine that was the cause.

Answering my own post, I have found a workaround for this problem. I added a rule to Vista's firewall to block all outgoing connections from epgplus.exe. This immediately allowed it to run and open without hanging.

Thank you for your valuable feedback! I don't have any experience with Vista and can't test EPGplus with it. There are some minor issues with the update function in 1.0.8, e.g. sometimes it tries to check even if the corresponding checkbox is disabled.

I found out that the numsearchitems value in the ini was incorrect, also i think it's sometimes updated wrong.

Thanks for reporting this, I will investigate this behavior.

Best,

Stefan.

as soon as I run EPGPlus, it opens it's window but then does nothing, with the hourglass up. Task Manager seems to show it eating CPU and the only way out is to kill the process.
For some reason I also have similar problem (with 3.9.2 and 3.9.3.45 beta and Windows XP SP2) EPGplus just doesnt start, it only gives message "Connecting to update server" even the auto update is not selected.

However in my other installation (3.9.3.41 beta, WIN2000) everything is working OK (EPGPlus verion 1.0.8 in each case). ALso update now button works OK.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. It appears to be waiting for some kind of input or some kind of focus problem. Right-clicking on the EPGPlus icon usually brings it back to life. I also have automatic update checking disabled.

• 1 month later...

I think there might be a memory leak. I leave the PC on constantly with DVBViewer running and I notice the the memory usage of EPGplus gradually goes up. After about two weeks running all the search results show 0 found. I have to restart DVBViewer for it to start working again.

I think there might be a memory leak. I leave the PC on constantly with DVBViewer running and I notice the the memory usage of EPGplus gradually goes up. After about two weeks running all the search results show 0 found. I have to restart DVBViewer for it to start working again.

Thanks for reporting this. This is a hard thing, since I never leave EPGplus constantly running for weeks (or even days). I will think about how to investigate this and try to see where the memory leak comes from.

Best,

Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to make EPG+ record a given show (matching a search) automagically?

There are some applets for topfield and some other software dvb apps that will add programs to the recording list when they get matches in EPG data..

What I'd like to do is to define a search (for example, "the shield") and epg+ would add each new episode into the recording list when it "sees" it in the EPG listing.

What I'd like to do is to define a search (for example, "the shield") and epg+ would add each new episode into the recording list when it "sees" it in the EPG listing.

Exactly this is what EPGplus is intended for and what it is doing. You may define an arbitrary number of search terms and criteria (e.g. only Saturday, only this TV station) and tell EPGplus what to do when the search terms appear in the EPG: Either schedule a reminder or program it for recording. Recordings can be assigned to separate folders on your harddisc, so that you can automatically organize different series into separate folders.

Best,

Stefan.

Edited by Rayman
  • 1 month later...
Is there a way to make EPG+ record a given show (matching a search) automagically?

There are some applets for topfield and some other software dvb apps that will add programs to the recording list when they get matches in EPG data..

I totally missed this function at first too.

Yeah it does this, right click on a show and click on ‘Add to EPG search’.

I think the phrase ‘EPG Search’ it is a bit confusing. Normally searching for something just means you are looking for it.

But with EPG+ it means looking for something and adding it to the recording schedule when you find it.

I think it would be better to call them ‘Auto Schedules’ or something like that.

The major thing I would like to change about EPG+ its lack of a timeline. I think it would be much clearer if there was one running down the left hand side of the display.

I’d also make the scale of the timeline even, not stretch it and shrink it depending on how many programs there are.

That will cause issues sometimes when very short programs overlap. But that could be overcome if you could hold down Ctrl + Mouse Wheel to adjust the vertical zoom level up or down.

If you have the timeline then there would be no need to put the program start times at the start of each program (you could put them at the end if you wanted to).

All of this would make the display much more logical, clear and easy to read.

I think it would be better to call them ‘Auto Schedules’ or something like that.

Since I'm not a native english speaker I'll be happy about hints for translation ambiguities.

Maybe the point you mentioned could be named "EPG search and auto schedule". Would that be more clear?

The major thing I would like to change about EPG+ its lack of a timeline.

This is a hard issue and I'm not sure whether I understood your suggestion completely. Should it be similar to the timeline which is already in the DVBViewer EPG window? What would be the difference to the existing DVBViewer timeline?

I’d also have an option to display times in 12 or 24 hour formats. The 24 hour clock format is not used very much at all here in Australia.

Thanks for that feedback. I didn't know that this doesn't work correct for 12 hour format countries. EPGplus already uses the region settings from Windows for the time display. I will check this.

I would like to have EPGPlus as a part of the DVBViewer OSD.

I would like to have this too ;-) Currently there are some things unclear about OSD integration from C++ plugins and I didn't find a way to step into this up to now.

Best,

Stefan.

To me the items in the left hand column of the ‘EPG search’ screen would be called auto schedules. I think the ‘Search Results’ are called the right thing.

If you right click on a program in the TV Guide instead of ‘Add to EPG search’ I think it would be clearer if it said something like ‘Add to Auto Schedule’.

That is just me, don’t know what other English speakers think...

I think I understand your problem with the timeline, but I’d like to understand why you have done it the way you have.

For me the issue is that if there are lots of short programs one after the other on one channel then they take up lots of space. When that happens the time line has to stretch in different places to fit them all in. I think that creates all sorts of issues for you.

How come you decided to do it this way instead of keeping the time line even? (I’m don’t mean to sound negative, I’m just curious!)

If you right click on a program in the TV Guide instead of ‘Add to EPG search’ I think it would be clearer if it said something like ‘Add to Auto Schedule’.
But that is only a search by default, it is an additional feature that you can send search results to scheduler if you want.
But that is only a search by default, it is an additional feature that you can send search results to scheduler if you want.

Yeah you are right. I think it should be the default action.

I think recording a program or creating a schedule to automatically record a series of programs are the two most important features of EPG+. I think they are the features that people want.

I don’t think that creating a search group that doesn’t actually do anything should be the default.

That is just me, others may think differently.

I don’t think that creating a search group that doesn’t actually do anything should be the default.
Why not, EPG+ can search programs using also desciriptions. If you but there for example search for "sport" I don't thing that anybody (or at least most of people) would like to record every program which has that word in name or in description. I have very few searches which results are send to recording automatically, rest I want to look through first myself. You can use also to remind you like sending only a note to you everytime when "news" are coming.
Why not, EPG+ can search programs using also desciriptions. If you but there for example search for "sport" I don't thing that anybody (or at least most of people) would like to record every program which has that word in name or in description. I have very few searches which results are send to recording automatically, rest I want to look through first myself. You can use also to remind you like sending only a note to you everytime when "news" are coming.

If you go to the EPG search page and press ‘Add’ then I think what you are saying is true

But I’m talking about right clicking on a program on the TV guide page and wanting to automatically record shows with the matching name.

I’m actually much more interested in the timeline but Rayman has gone quiet.

But I’m talking about right clicking on a program on the TV guide page and wanting to automatically record shows with the matching name
I would prefer a button to send all findings to recorder by one click (but so that you can see first if you really want to record them all)

I’m actually much more interested in the timeline but Rayman has gone quiet.
I aslo thing that timeline would be nice (Hi Rayman) even DVBV has one but it does not have other functions that EPG+ can provide.

I've just installed EPGPlus on a new pc with DVBViewer. When I click EPGPlus icon the window opens but it seems to hang forever. It looks like this.

epgplusgrab.jpg

Any ideas?

Edited by boborg
I would prefer a button to send all findings to recorder by one click (but so that you can see first if you really want to record them all)

Yeah if it displayed the results and you just had to hit OK to add them to the schedule that would be cool.

Hi all,

thank you all for the various suggestions!

When I click EPGPlus icon the window opens but it seems to hang forever.

If the EPGplus window 'hangs', just right click the EPGplus icon in the system tray - that should refresh the EPGplus window. This is a bug which comes from the internet update check (still hard to fix ..).

But I’m talking about right clicking on a program on the TV guide page and wanting to automatically record shows with the matching name.

I see your point. The basic function of EPGplus are EPG search queries, like IRa pointed out. EPGplus will do 'some' action with the results of the search queries, e.g. just display the results, create a reminder or schedule a recording. "Add to auto schedule" would not reflect this three action types.

(weevil) You want to create recordings by default when right click on the TV guide page. Others might want other things by default. EPGplus 1.0.9 (which will be released in October) will remember the last selected action type for new search queries and restore this automatically when creating a new search term.

I aslo thing that timeline would be nice (Hi Rayman) even DVBV has one but it does not have other functions that EPG+ can provide.

I think this needs some clearification: IRa you mean a timeline which is similar to the one in DVBViewer, which means a timeline on the top running from left to right. weevil means a timeline on the left hand side running from top to bottom.

I agree with the timeline suggestions and drawbacks pointed out by weevil. I'm also not fully happy with the TV guide. The main limitation comes from the widget element which I currently use for the TV guide: it's a simple spread sheet - like Excel. This widget is not very flexible - every cell has to have an equal height. Originally, the current visualization should be similar to printed TV guide magazines. Nevertheless, I will investigate how the TV guide can be improved.

I would prefer a button to send all findings to recorder by one click

EPGplus should be kept simple and I'm not so happy with an additional button. However, this function could be placed in the right click context menu on the search results page - would that be okay?

Best,

Stefan.

EPGplus should be kept simple and I'm not so happy with an additional button. However, this function could be placed in the right click context menu on the search results page - would that be okay?

Yeah, something in the right click menu is what I meant the whole time. :bye:

Hope you find the right widget!

IRa you mean a timeline which is similar to the one in DVBViewer, which means a timeline on the top running from left to right.

Yes, that was what I meant, all EPG functions in one plugin (or userface).

Button or right click, both would be great, I thing that the fuction itself is what matters.
  • 4 weeks later...
Could it be possible to build EPGPlus so that in search terms you could also use operators like OR, AND, NOT
Hi Rayman, anything about that in the future ?

Another wish is (still) that in adding channles in "EPG search" "restrict search to channels" would be somehow easier and faster than writing them one by one.

Hi Rayman, anything about that in the future ?

Another wish is (still) that in adding channles in "EPG search" "restrict search to channels" would be somehow easier and faster than writing them one by one.

Hi IRa,

I've had several discussions with Lars. There will be several changes in the way EPGplus handles the search, and of course there will be more options to define search terms much more flexible and exact.

The other wishes are still in my pipeline :-)

Important Information: Tonight is summer/winter time change. There is still some undefined behaviour in EPGplus due to that time change. Please check your scheduled recordings carefully this weekend. Please all give feedback about what behaviour appeared! Please cross check whether strange timings only appear in EPGplus or also in the DVBViewer EPG.

Best,

Stefan.

Important Information: Tonight is summer/winter time change. There is still some undefined behaviour in EPGplus due to that time change. Please check your scheduled recordings carefully this weekend. Please all give feedback about what behaviour appeared! Please cross check whether strange timings only appear in EPGplus or also in the DVBViewer EPG.

Best,

Stefan.

Recordings scheduled for sunday started allready in saturday. I'll try to schedule again in sunday.

Tonight is summer/winter time change. There is still some undefined behaviour in EPGplus due to that time change.
Last evening all coming brodcast was shown 1 h later than in reality. This morning everyting was OK except automated sheduled recordings which were now there two times. This was in PC that was started in the morning. My other PC which was running hole night (also DVBV running) needed DVBV restart to get right EGP times, I thried first to restar only EPG+ but that did not help..

Hi all,

Version 1.0.9 is out:

Version 1.0.9 (02.11.2008)

- Fix: Unregular crashes caused by right-click context menu on TV-Guide and search results (especially in Vista)

- Fix: Reminder: Manual changes (e.g. setting item action from remind to record) via context menu were overwritten by search algorithm

- Add: More information in TV guide: name and title of programs are shown (formerly only title).

- Add: Genre filter for TV guide and genre in EPG description.

- Add: Item's end time is now displayed in search results and remind list.

- Add: Default action for search terms is remembered and restored for new search terms.

- Add: New search option: Exact search - Find search items which are identical to the search term.

- Add: Multiple selection for search results, "Select all items" in context menu.

- Add: Ctrl + 'A': selects all items in search results or remind list

- Unfixed:Recordings shifted on the day when summer/winter time changes.

Download via EPGplus homepage.

Best,

Stefan.

To help u bugfix it, everytime u do an update epg the mem footprint increases with 50mb.

Hooo. I confirm this memory leak. I will provide the 1.0.8 tomorrow and try to fix it then.

Stefan.