Technotrend Budget/S2-3200

Pfaff_Torben

Very good news:

Technotrend's S2-PCI card (no USB-Boxes) has arrived in Germany. It will be delivered to the DVBShop after some internal testing with the newest H.264 Decoder

Look here (German and you have to scroll down):

THIS IS HERE

I would recommend to buy the pack with the card, CI and remote control since it's much cheaper than buying the CI seperatly. (Only if you need a CI...)

Who the heck is @torbenp (sounds like torpedo) ;) ..and what is the so called superadmin telling about:

[translate]the cards will be provided with the latest hdtv-codecs[/translate]

..codecs for budget cards?? :)

I was promised that the card will arrive at the "next week" before many many weeks ago, by the DVBShop representative.

I hope not to be disappointed once again.

Rittberg

@Rittberg: Have you got a shop?

@Derrick (sounds like "Dreck" :) ): I think he means the Cyberlink H.264 Codec. Maybe with hardware acceleration, cos Cyberlink offers a pack with H.264 Decoders for DirectShow...

@Derrick (sounds like "Dreck" :) ): ...

:D Well done Pfaffe

/# Edit:

BTW: The choosen Bounce-smilie is not the same like in the Smilie-list by editing a post. ;)

Edited by boingball
  • 2 weeks later...
Very good news:

Technotrend's S2-PCI card (no USB-Boxes) has arrived in Germany. It will be delivered to the DVBShop after some internal testing with the newest H.264 Decoder

Look here (German and you have to scroll down):

THIS IS HERE

And now, you feel again already verscheisert?

Sorry,

schuhm

Just to say that I purchased today the Technotrend S2-3200 HDTV :(

Rittberg

...sure it'll be like SkyStar2.xx saga...there'll be a 'a' version then a 'b' revision, than a 'c' and maybe a 'd' and 'e' :bye:

Anyway let us know what it "looks like" when u receive it :)

Edited by giorusso
...probably that S2 transmission are still in a deep experimentation stage... :bye:

:)

Using the STB Humax PR-HD 1000 I can tell you that DVB-S2 & MPEG4/h264 is working as good as the regular DVB.

...yep, and maybe u should see to all the HD bouquets on 28-19 and 13° to notice that it's not really a "bad joke"...maybe it's only the beginning but S2 is surely the future :bye:

And could any of you actually try them out? I also plan to buy one, but as long as BBC is still using DVB-S, I'm in no real hurry, so I prefer to wait until the first user reports get in, so please guys report here your experiences :) Mainly of course how it works with DVBViewer, but also if it works on nForce4-SLI chipsets (I don't want to ruin my MB...)

I received my S2-3200 today.

I'm looking forward to test it.

Greets,

Tom

You are very lucky, I just receive a note that my parcel was shipped only today.

Waiting to read your impressions about the S2-3200.

Good luck,

Rittberg

I got my card today.

I tested it with DVBViewer but i cant tune in to a DVB-S2 transponder. Only with TT Media center that comes with the card.

got it working now with transedit

Edited by Proson
So, are you able to watch DVB-S2 MPEG4 channels? How it perform - fluently?

Yes the Software which comes with the card works quite good.

I have a mobile Athlon 64 2800+ & Geforce 6600 in my HTPC and it runs with 15 FPS approximatly.

I can watch the DVB-S2 H.264 channels in TT media center and DVBViewer´s Transedit. (only in window)

works well with CoreAvc and Power dvd 7 h.264 codec that comes with the card.

Please be kind to inform the CPU utilization when watching an HiDef DVB-S2 H264 channel.

I need this information to know if my new HTPC ( P4 3.6 GH O.C to 4.3 GH & nVidia 7900GT) will be suitable for the task of fluent watching.

Thanks.

I'm still waiting for my card but has anyone tested the GE version 2.0.1.9 DVB-S2 Test in the beta section of the members section.

To clarify does the card ship with Coreavc and PDVD7 codecs?

The codec is pdvd 7 but without the frontend as far as I can see.

It has crushed my pdvd 6, when i try to start it i will be asked for the reg-key, but i can't find any in the package.

CPU utilisation of my A64-2800+ is 100%

I think the A64-3500+ is really the slowest possible config.

I have comb artifacts - I think with a newer grafix-card it would be better. I have to look for the accerlation-settings but can't start it without the frontend.

Rittberg: Try this 30 seconds clip from the swedish world cup DVB-T HDTV broadcasts that I recorded. It's in 720p50 H.264 AC3 5.1 at 20.4mbit so I doubt you will find a more demanding clip to test with. Your setup should be more than fine using CoreAVC for example.

The codec is pdvd 7 but without the frontend as far as I can see.

It has crushed my pdvd 6, when i try to start it i will be asked for the reg-key, but i can't find any in the package.

CPU utilisation of my A64-2800+ is 100%

I think the A64-3500+ is really the slowest possible config.

I have comb artifacts - I think with a newer grafix-card it would be better. I have to look for the accerlation-settings but can't start it without the frontend.

DXVA for H264 will never work on you system because nVidia driver routines support only SSE2 CPU for hardware accelerated decoding of H264 content!

Otherwise you should get at minus 30fps with a 6600 card!

However you can enable DXVA in Cyberlink H264 decoder with MPC but it does nothing.

Regards,

cdr

Edited by cdr

I changed the cpu. I replaced the Mobile CPU with my Office-PC-CPU an A64 3200+-Clawhammer which clocks at 2.0GHz.

DXVA for H264 will never work on you system because nVidia driver routines support only SSE2 CPU for hardware accelerated decoding of H264 content!

Every A64 supports SSE2.

Because of your post I searched a little and found this thread in the nvidia forum where you posted:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...2150&st=380

I updated the forceware-driver and the dxva-acceleration works now.

Playback is almost smooth, there are 20 seconds whith no frame-drops.

Pictures with a lot of motion have frame-drops but the rest is fine.

The commercials on Pro7-HD are almost perfect - they are sent in High-Res.

But then when it comes to Low-Res there are still this comb-artifacts.

When I force "Bob" there is a good result, but it is quite CPU-heavy.

Weave runs on GPU-Hardware but it can't fix the problem.

Regards,

Tom

HiDef MPEG4/H264 channels ?

If yes, please advise your PC configuration.

Thanks.

Sure, the FTA H.264 channels on Astra 19.2 (Anixe, Prosieben H.264, Astra HD ...)

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with HT enabled

RAM 512Mb Dual channel

Manli Nvidia 6600 256Mb AGP

Cyberlink H.264 codec

But I found out that it doesn't tune the Premiere HD channel: looks like their Trasponder is "dead" (no signal), which is not the case I believe: what can it be then?

But I found out that it doesn't tune the Premiere HD channel: looks like their Trasponder is "dead" (no signal)

11914 H, isn't it? According to the Network Information Table that is broadcasted on the ARD transponder the modulation is QPSK and FEC = 9/10. However, try to set the modulation to 8PSK in TransEdit/DVBViewer GE, even if it's QPSK, and please report if scanning works.

Seems it still needs a little correction, because DVB S2 cards require a specific modulation parameter for switching to DVB-S2, regardless of the actual modulation, as we learned recently. With other words: If we pass this parameter to the driver, it switches to DVB-S2 and the card detects the actual modulation automatically. So internally we must refer to the modulation system (DVB-S / DVB-S2), not to the modulation (QPSK / 8PSK).

I hope the card will also handle FEC automatically because MS didn't specify how to pass FEC 9/10 via BDA to a driver. Try FEC Auto (or whatever you like :( ).

It doesn't work, setting 8PSK or setting Auto FEC (which works instead, for example, on Sky IT DVB-S2 HD transponder so it's supported I reckon) or even both together won't give any signal on 11914 H 22000

Edited by Zyknyp
It doesn't work, setting 8PSK or setting Auto FEC (which works instead, for example, on Sky IT DVB-S2 HD transponder so it's supported I reckon) or even both together won't give any signal on 11914 H 22000

I scanned the Premiere transponder fine with Transedit, I think I set it at 8PSK and 9/10 FEC

Hmm, it works with the Pinnacle DVB-S2 USB box, as these images suggest:

http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=104364

Can you please check if the S2-3200 always requires specific FEC values, resp. it never works with FEC Auto or wrong FEC values?

It doesn't work, setting 8PSK or setting Auto FEC (which works instead, for example, on Sky IT DVB-S2 HD transponder

Please more specific. Under which conditions does Sky IT DVB-S2 work, and under which not? We need precise and complete reports for making it work optimally.

First of all, after having downloaded DVBViewer Beta 3.5.0.4, installed it and run a full scan on Astra 19.2°E, the Premiere HD channels were found to my surprise: on 11914 H 22000 of course, and FEC is reported to be AUTO in DVBViewer. Tried again with Transedit and nothing comes up.

It looks like the FEC setting are ignored by the Technotrend card: whatever FEC I set (Auot, 2/3 to 9/10) the TP is scanned correctly (SkyIT HD Tp, but also CSAT HD Tp on Astra).

With the latest DVBViewer GE beta 11914 Tp doesn't work...

Ok, now we know that the TechnoTrend card ignores the FEC settings. It always works with FEC Auto.

DVBViewer Beta 3.5.0.4, installed it and run a full scan on Astra 19.2°E, the Premiere HD channels were found to my surprise: on 11914 H

Maybe the Pro Beta already refers to the modulation system internally, not the modulation setting.

Tried again with Transedit and nothing comes up.

Just to make sure: It does not work after setting the modulation to 8PSK in TransEdit, then Apply (don't forget that!), and scanning the transponder?

With the latest DVBViewer GE beta 11914 Tp doesn't work...

DVBViewer GE relies on the modulation setting that is stored in the transponderlist file when scanning. Maybe it's still set to QPSK.

Nevertheless I will try to end this confusion about modulation as soon as possible by uploading new test versions. Maybe tonight...

Just to make sure: It does not work after setting the modulation to 8PSK in TransEdit, then Apply (don't forget that!), and scanning the transponder?

Sure thing: I always push Apply as first thing after changing any setting in TransEdit.

Ive got them no problem, i ve just used the transponder list fromDVBV pro beta 3.5.0.4 inside GE and did also a full scan and all DVB-S2 channels appeared 11914, 12522 and 12722.

11914 H 22000 of course,

@Zyknyp: Symbolrate 27500.

As it seems to work for everybody else, I suppose there's something wrong with your settings, or some other problem is interfering.

i ve just used the transponder list fromDVBV pro beta 3.5.0.4 inside GE and did also a full scan and all DVB-S2 channels appeared

In the DVBViewer Pro Beta transponderlist FEC is set to 0 (Auto) and modulation to 2 (8PSK) for 11914 H. Symbolrate is 27500.

DVBViewer Pro doesn't provide the modulation system parameter (DVB-S = 0 / DVB-S2 = 1) in its transponderlist yet, and modulation / modulation system don't show up in the channellist. I guess it's still based on modulation = 8PSK for switching the device to DVB-S2 (regardless of the actual modulation).

However, in the coming GE/TransEdit test releases the modulation system setting will be the significant one for DVB-S / DVB-S2 selection (eventually we're getting it right... :( ), and GE will allow to edit it in the channellist.