Program priority and exiting

qazserNOS

How about an option to set the program priority to a higher level for recordings only?

The DVBViewer with 'high' priority causes my computer to slow down to unusable level while surfing the Web.

And why isn't 'AboveNormal' a selectable option?

Exiting the program using the mouse is too straightforward.

DVBViewer exits with a single mouse click - even when a recording is scheduled.

'Exiting' to the System Tray (and toggling A/V off) when a recording is due would be a good idea, instead.

A confirmation could be asked upon exiting?

Guest Lars_MQ

take a look into the options. and if your computer slows down too much you either have a computer which should be on display in a museum or you have some heavy configuration problems with your system.

I have spent hours 'taking a look into the options' without any success in the matter.

The help file is practically useless. It's badly outdated.

I'm running F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security 6.01 which scans all http data

--> too much with DVBViewer in 'high' priority.

My hardware: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2,5GHz, 2GB 500MHz RAM..

And my OS is Windows XP Professional SP2.

to set the program priority to a higher level for recordings only

Normally isn't necessary (unless you want to play some heavy game during recording), DVBViewer have a pretty robust way to record, and it is very difficult to disturb it...

So it seems to be true the second Lars_MQ supposition, maybe "you have some heavy configuration problems with your system"...

Consider how many icons compare on left of the clock in the Windows status bar: are all icons (=program) necessary? Obviously I don't mean the antivirus one (have you already tried to exclude the SS2 IP from his filter/scan???)...

:(

The DVBViewer with 'high' priority causes my computer to slow down to unusable level while surfing the Web.

I observed a similar issue when using the Cyberlink Video Decoder from Power DVD 6. Check your decoder settings. Beyond that, there are no reports about DVBViewer Pro slowing down other processes.

Well, maybe the 'normal' priority level will do.

It seems that none of you have ever used Client Security 6.xx.

Scanning all http data is too much even when simultaneously using Skype (voice connection).

Surfing the Web with DVBViewer in 'normal' priority level causes no problems - other than potentially skipping some frames?

About codecs: I'm using the nVidia Video Decoder and the nVidia Video Post processor.

But let's just leave it at that - I just wanted to point out I don't have some beginner's "heavy configuration problems with my system".

BTW how about this quote from the DVBViewer help file:

"Priority: Here you can set the priority for the DVBViewer's process in the system. To avoid problems it should at least be set to higher than normal, otherwise you may encounter lost frames in your recordings because of extensive CPU usage of other programs."

Now, could we focus to the exiting matter?

Now, could we focus to the exiting matter?

Use the DVB Task Scheduler (-> members area, read the ReadMe!). It will take care... relaunch DVBViewer, if a scheduled recording is due to be started, wake your PC up from hibernate / standby etc.

Priority: Here you can set the priority for the DVBViewer's process in the system. To avoid problems it should at least be set to higher than normal, otherwise you may encounter lost frames in your recordings because of extensive CPU usage of other programs

It mean that you can risk to lost some frame if the CPU use is very intensive (=near 100%): it can have been true some years ago (some parts of DVBViewer's help aren't so updated...), while nowadays it is very difficult to get: a well configured DVBViewer (or to be more precise, a optimized MPEG2 decoder it use) on a PC like your's, have to use well less than 30% of CPU power, and if AV while rec is disabled, it have to use only some CPU % points; so, unless you have other apps that exauste the CPU, it is very difficult that DVBViewer can lost a frame for a "normal" priority setting...

Instead, on matter of lost frame, beware of the discontinuity error (reported in the DVBSource's properties page) caused by receiving problem: poor signal, poor dish alignment, stormy weather, etc...

:bye:

Edited by Gioxy

The main risk when recording with high CPU load is that data gets lost because Windows and/or DVBViewer have no time to flush their file buffers. In this case it is recommendable to set Options -> Recorder -> Use Smart Buffer to a high value, e.g. 10 MB buffer size. This is a maximum value, however. DVBViewer will only allocate 10 MB RAM for buffering if it is really necessary.

Thanks for your responses - the priority matter is hereby concluded.

But using the DVB Task Scheduler seems a bit clumsy.

Couldn't the suggested 'exiting features' be added to DVBViewer?

Please read the latter part of my first post again.

Sorry, but I can't find such settings in the options.

Exit confirmation works with the OSD, but not when exiting by clicking close (x in the upper corner..).

Right-clicking the screen and selecting exit doesn't ask for confirmation, either.

Edited by qazserNOS
  • 7 years later...

Sorry, but I can't find such settings in the options.

Exit confirmation works with the OSD, but not when exiting by clicking close (x in the upper corner..).

Right-clicking the screen and selecting exit doesn't ask for confirmation, either.

This is bugging me, also. I don't know how to make DVBViewer to confirm the mouse-click exit, when timeshifted/recording.