No DVB-S2 channels with Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB and DVBViewer

dirkv

Hi,

i recently purchased the above USB Box. It is DVB-S2 capable. I can scan and watch the channels (German Ones) with the Media Center Software.

The Box itself seems to be supported in DVBViewer via the 4xxe Driver and scans all other chans just fine. I just cant tune in to any DVB-S2 channel. I also tried Transedit and set all settings accordingly. Still no go.

Is DVBViewer not capable scanning them yet? If so, when can support for that be expected? I'm kinda frustrated, now i have the Tuner but no Software to use it with (decent Software that is :bye: ). The Pinnacle is just *yuck*...

dirk

via the 4xxe Driver

Is it a BDA driver?

I also tried Transedit and set all settings accordingly.

Did you try the new test version?

http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=103758

It allows to set the modulation for a transponder. Try *all* available modulation settings for the DVB-S2 transponders. Maybe one of them does the trick.

The problem is: We don't know what the driver expects in case of DVB-S2 transponders, because it's not defined in the BDA specifications. Maybe we can find out... don't know.

P.S. Use the attached Astra 19° Eeast transponder list. It contains the DVB-S2 transponders (I found them with a NIT scan). But don't care about their modulation settings - since I don't know how to translate them for the driver, the names are more or less meaningless. :bye:

Astra_19E.zip

Edited by Griga
Is it a BDA driver?

Yes, here's the part from the inf file:

bdado7.jpg

452e is the model in question.

Did you try the new test version?

Yes, i downloaded the 2.6.0.4 Version of Transedit

It allows to set the modulation for a transponder. Try *all* available modulation settings for the DVB-S2 transponders. Maybe one of them does the trick.

I will have to play around some more....Even though i'm already kinda off key with the whole thing.

The problem is: We don't know what the driver expects in case of DVB-S2 transponders, because it's not defined in the BDA specifications. Maybe we can find out... don't know.

If i can help out in any way, let me know. Would be happy to...

P.S. Use the attached Astra 19° Eeast transponder list. It contains the DVB-S2 transponders (I found them with a NIT scan). But don't care about their modulation settings - since I don't know how to translate them for the driver, the names are more or less meaningless. :)

Checking it out now...

Also on a unrelated matter (sorry for getting Offtopic here), i have troubles displaying any Overlay picture with my 1920x1200 screen with the lates DVBViewer Version. Only VMR9 in combination with VOB MPEG2 Video Codec seems to do the trick. But than i lose even the MPEG2 hardware acceleration i think. Funny enough, with the GE Version overlay works just fine. What gives? :bye:

Try *all* available modulation settings for the DVB-S2 transponders. Maybe one of them does the trick.

That was most helpful. It now also worked with my own 19.2 ini file (i only tried "auto" and "8PSK" because thats whats listed on all transponder sites like lyngsat :bye:

hd2du1.jpg

hd1mb9.jpg

With "Preview" i even get a picture then :) but...

I chose "Send to DVBViewer" and i could select the channels from the Channel List. No picture though. I guess i would need to be able to modify the Modulation Settings in the Channel List as well?

dirk

That was most helpful.

Indeed. Now I know how it has to be handled, thanks to your testing.

Of course QAM 16 is not the correct modulation for those transponders (it should be 8PSK), but by accident :bye: TransEdit translates it to the value the driver wants to see.

I will correct it in TransEdit and in DVBViewer GE, and I've informed the DVBViewer Pro head programmer about the matter - let's see what he does.

OK, I've updated the TransEdit test version in the members area, beta section. It should now do the right thing with the 8PSK modulation setting.

Additionally I've uploaded a DVBViewer GE test version to the beta section. It requires an existing DVBViewer GE 2.0.1 installation - just replace DVBViewer.exe. It (hopefully) will handle the TransEdit 2.6.0.7 DVB-S2 export correctly, and should be able to scan the DVB-S2 transponders itself, provided the used transponder list contains the correct modulation.

The modulation can be set in DVBViewer GE "per channel" (channellist window, edit tab).

Okay, here we go....

the Updated Transedit works just fine for both Pro7HD and also for the Premiere Channels (cant verify the picture of course ;)

premierepa1.jpgpremiere1hk6.jpg

On a side note here, after scanning the premiere transponder for example, those additional transponsders pop in the window even though i deleted all non HDD transponders before.

Now on to the GE, that was also quiet a sucess. With the updated transpoder list, i could do a channel search for the dvb-s2 channels. And better yet, after that i even had a picture (and sound of course) (w00t)

scan1ac9.jpgscanub6.jpg

I also wanted to post 2 more scans of the channel edit window and one with a picture of Pro7HD, but it kinda dont work anymore, so here you can see it anyway if wanted:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1686/scan2fs9.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6804/successzl0.jpg

All in all the scanning seemd to be kinda unstable at times, i need to do two scans on the same (Correct) modulation to actually find the channels. Could be the tuner and/or bad bda drivers of course.

Also TransEdit acted kinda annoying, switching to (default?) modulation again after every scan of the transponder, even if i saved the 8PSK before. If you dont notice that, you try scanning and then are dissappointed bout not finding anything. :)

But all in all, it was a great success, and your support was really great. I'm really happy i purchased DVBViewer. :D

PS: Any thoughts bout my resolution problem with the normal DVBViewer version i mentioned earlier? Or should i open another topic for that?

PPS: I just noticed, if the modulatiuon in the channel edit is (re)set to auto, which just happened here after a crash, and i manually change it to SPK8 (or any other modulation), i get no picture. If i do a transponder scan again, it works just fine... :blink:

Actually after every crash or restart (i get some if i switch channel to fast it seems), the modulation goes back to auto (even after saving) and the channels need a total rescan to work again...Or am i doing something wrong?

It also hangs/crashes after every channel switch from one dbv-s2 channel to another... Which then leads to the need of rescsan again. Thats really work in progress (talking of early adaptor....) :bye:

dirk

Edited by dirkv
Does the Pinnacle have a Common Interface?

No. I attached the PDF with some technical details. The Diseqc needs to be handle with care though. It doesnt work with my very simple Diseqc setup (4 LNB's and a Spaun Switch). I need to go through my Dreambox first, then i can scan every LNB after i tuned to an according channel first. Its no biggy for me, because the USB tuner is only a secondary thing anyway. I mainly use my Dream for TV.

PS: PDF seems to big (1 MB)..... :bye:

dirk

Edited by dirkv
after scanning the premiere transponder for example, those additional transponsders pop in the window even though i deleted all non HDD transponders before.

Well, obviously you have activated the NIT search (-> auto transponder list update while scanning, see Settings -> Scanner 1).

Also TransEdit acted kinda annoying, switching to (default?) modulation again after every scan of the transponder,

Caused by the NIT scan, I suppose. Wrong entries in the NIT delivered by that transponder? Don't know. If I change the modulation of the 12721 V transponder to a wrong value, and scan the ARD transponder with NIT evaluation, it is corrected afterwards!

I just noticed, if the modulatiuon in the channel edit is (re)set to auto, which just happened here after a crash,

Sure, because DVBViewer GE had no opportunity to save the changed channellist, due to a sudden death. Do it in the following way:

1) Adjust the modulation of the channel manually.

2) Click Update

3) Click the Save (Disk) Button at the bottom. Then it's stored.

or

1) Scan

2) Click the Save Button

It also hangs/crashes after every channel switch from one dbv-s2 channel to another

Play a bit with the GE hardware options, particularly "Stop stream while tuning" and "Use standard interface". Get more acquainted with the way TransEdit and DVBViewer GE work. There are manuals!

Aaah yes... which H.264 decoders are available / which one is used? See Options -> DirectShow.

@ Griga:

It seems the crahse between channel switches are caused only by CoreAVC :bye: ...

After switching to Cyberlinks Codec, it works just fine....Unfort. that codec is so much slower. The Hardware support for my Go7900 GS doesnt seem to work. Maybe i need another version. I can activate the "Use dxva". Not sure if thats h264 support though or just MPEG2.

dirk

Edited by dirkv
It seems the crahse between channel switches are caused only by CoreAVC

That's a known CoreAVC issue. Seems they haven't solved it yet?

There is something that may help. DVBViewer must be closed. Open the file setup.ini in the DVBViewer GE directory with a text editor (Notepad). Search the [frmMain] section. Insert the additional line

SlowChannelSwitching=1

right below [frmMain].

It forces DVBViewer GE to rebuild the whole chain of playback components (including the CoreAVC) on each channel change. However, it will slow down channel switching in general.

Well, obviously you have activated the NIT search (-> auto transponder list update while scanning, see Settings -> Scanner 1).

Soooo true... :bye: Works now.

Caused by the NIT scan, I suppose.

See above

Sure, because DVBViewer GE had no opportunity to save the changed channellist, due to a sudden death. Do it in the following way:

Nope, that would be too easy. As i wrote before (very briefly though), i did save directly after scan and also updated and saved after manually changing modulation. Doesnt help. Only whole new scan gives picture.

saveda7.jpg

You can see the save item is greyed out because i already saved with 8PSK. Still that setting wont give a picture afterwards.

Play a bit with the GE hardware options, particularly "Stop stream while tuning" and "Use standard interface". Get more acquainted with the way TransEdit and DVBViewer GE work. There are manuals!

Will do, hopefully i can fix the issue with CoreAVC then.

Aaah yes... which H.264 decoders are available / which one is used? See Options -> DirectShow.

See my post above

dirk

SlowChannelSwitching=1

That helped, thx

dirk

Edited by dirkv

Hello dirkv,

delete the file "Deutsch.lng" in the "Language" folder of DVBViewer GE installation and you will have

the "English Version of DVBViewer GE" :)

:bye:

Hello dirkv,

delete the file "Deutsch.lng" in the "Language" folder of DVBViewer GE installation and you will have

the "English Version of DVBViewer GE" :)

:bye:

Thx, but as i german person i dont mind the german language. :blink:

dirk

You can see the save item is greyed out because i already saved with 8PSK. Still that setting wont give a picture afterwards.

Ok, confirmed. That's a bug in DVBViewer GE. I've just updated the GE test version to 2.0.1.9 in the members area, beta section. Should work now.

The modulation handling is quite new for us, and completely untested, you know... I had no opportunity to try it with a DVB-S2 device yet.

If I find a bit of time for it, I'll look after the CoreAVC again... maybe I can find a better workaround, don't know.

I've just updated the GE test version to 2.0.1.9

Yes, that did the trick, great.

The modulation handling is quite new for us, and completely untested, you know... I had no opportunity to try it with a DVB-S2 device yet.

Hey, i totally understand. I hope i didnt soud like i demand something to work right away at same point in this topic. I really appreciate that great and fast support you did here. For just one person (me) atm prolly.. :bye:

dirk

I hope i didnt soud like i demand something to work right away

No. We are happy about users who are willing to cooperate like you did, particularly when it comes to finding our way into new things like DVB-S2. :bye:

Griga and dirkv, thanks for the effort to get the Pinnacle up and running. After your postings, I also bought that card today, plugged it in, plug-&-play-installed the driver, updated DVBViewer GE and TransEdit and zap watch DVB-S2 now. That was easy. :)

I though of buying this DVB-S2 USB thing too, but I guess we will not enjoy it for a long time, since the providers don't like HD stuff getting recorded on a PC. Sorry to say - it will be encrypted sooner or later, and only be available with certified receivers. That's how things look like.

BTW: Seems there is a DVBViewer Pro Beta version availabe now, that can cope with DVB-S2.

> ..I guess we will not enjoy it for a long time, since the providers don't like HD stuff getting recorded on a PC

I know, but FTA will last at least a year or so.

> BTW: Seems there is a DVBViewer Pro Beta version availabe now, that can cope with DVB-S2.

Great news, but I mostly prefer the GE edition. :)

BTW: You should adapt this thread's title to "Watching DVB-S2..." :)

I though of buying this DVB-S2 USB thing too, but I guess we will not enjoy it for a long time, since the providers don't like HD stuff getting recorded on a PC. Sorry to say - it will be encrypted sooner or later, and only be available with certified receivers. That's how things look like.

BTW: Seems there is a DVBViewer Pro Beta version availabe now, that can cope with DVB-S2.

Not until DVB-CPCM (whose Blue Book has been recently released) is ready, in 3-4 years. And after that it'll still take a couple of year for actual implementation.

• 1 month later...

Hi I just bought the same box as you, and planning to buy a 1,87 GHz core due + nvidia 7900 laptop from dell, do you think it is enough power, since the install of the box asks for a 3,0 g processor, even if you don't have this config, what is your guess?

thks a lot

gianni

• 2 months later...

Hi :)

I want to know if somebody help me

Anybody can send me the drivers of pinnacle DVB-s2.

I have a technotrend drivers S2-3600, but there is crash with it, so if i can test drivers pinnacle, it would be great.

If you have ok, can you pm me ?

Thx a lot.

Sebastiii.