Airstar - Freeview problems

marty80

Hi,

I've got several issues with my new Technisat Airstar Telestick T1:

First of all, when installing the drivers it gets recognized as a "TTUSB2BDA - TechnoTrend DVB-T Stick USB 2.0 BDA Device".

Doing a channel search in DVBViewer it doesn't find all Freeview channels (only 37 TV and radio). I don't live in an official Freeview area, but we've got a couple of Freeview boxes running in the house without problems.

Trying to improve the signal, I connected the aerial cable (normally looped through the Freeview box and split at the TV) directly to the USB stick. It actually found more channels, but still not all. Also, the antenna socket started to make some kind of high-pitched beeping noise.

When tuning in to a DVB-T channel the Processor usage gets quite high (with mpeg2 hardware acceleration activated and high application priority selected). Processor usage is much lower when tuning in to a DVB-S channel via my Skystar 2 PCI card.

Hope this wasn't too confusing and that someone can sort me out!

Cheers

marty80

support.zip

Where do you live?

Highest 31 TV transmitters are attainable in Germany over Air, no radio transmitters.

Edited by Engelbert
Where do you live?

Highest 31 TV transmitters are attainable in Germany over Air, no radio transmitters.

Hi,

I live in the South-East of the UK. DVB-T is called Freeview over here.

I know that channels are missing because my regular Freeview boxes pick up more.

I guess it's because of weak signal. Would an amplifier/signal booster help?

Any ideas on the other issues?

Danke und schoene Gruesse aus Kent

marty80

Hi,

I don't think it's the decoders. The DVB-S seems to work fine on the same PC.

In short the problems really are:

- Not finding all the available channels

- Very high processor usage while watching DVB-T in DVBViewer (not a problem with DVB-S)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

marty80

Try the tool TransEdit (Memberarea) with the transponder list europe.ini.

I bought DVBViewer Pro and tried TransEdit. Still the same.

I've noticed that the scanning process with the Airstar is prone to crash. Perhaps it is a driver problem. I've contacted Technisat twice but got no reply.

Cheers

marty80

Edited by marty80
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I got it sorted!

I managed to install the Airstar correctly after resolving a USB driver problem on my PC. Technisat told me to install the driver directly in the device manager and it worked. After that the processor usage was normal.

I had a look at the manual channel setup of one of my DVB-T TV boxes and noticed that two Muxes were on frequencies with a -166 kHz offset. Using this in a transponder list with TransEdit I then was able to pick up all available Freeview channels on my Airstar.

I just wonder why a regular DVB-T box can automatically detect offset frequencies and the Airstar + software can't.

Cheers

marty80

• 5 months later...
<Airstar>

I had a look at the manual channel setup of one of my DVB-T TV boxes and noticed that two Muxes were on frequencies with a -166 kHz offset. Using this in a transponder list with TransEdit I then was able to pick up all available Freeview channels on my Airstar.

I just wonder why a regular DVB-T box can automatically detect offset frequencies and the Airstar + software can't.

Wasn't sure if I'd be better starting a new thread but I think we may have a bug/lacking-feature in respect of use of DVBViewer with UK Terrestrial. It might be specific to certain hardware, but certainly isn't restricted to the Airstar...

Summary: Bought a Pinnacle PCTV DVB-T PCI (250i) card & didn't like Pinnacle's software (though it did find all channels, as do my two DVB-T set top boxes from the same aerial feed). Tried to find out if DVBViewer would work. Little feedback so just jumped in & bought a copy...

After I gave up on the initial settings wizard & forced DVBViewer to use the Pinnacle RoyalTS Tuner (under settings->options->hardware, by setting Pinnacle RoyalTS Tuner to Preferred & setting DVB File Device to Do Not Use) a channel scan did pick up some channels but only muxes 1 & D.

I know I'm receiving from Pontop Pike, so I had the frequencies of the missing muxes 2, A, B & C. Neither DVBViewer nor Transedit would find anything on these four frequencies.

I've spent all day trawling & your post was the first to offer a lead. Although none of my devices report a frequency offset, I've just tried Transedit with a +166KHz offset on mux B (Ch 62 at 802MHz here). What do you know, it found the damned channels ;)

I'll post back if I have success with the other muxes...

Ok, figured I might as well get the analysis over with now. After a couple of hours trying out many possible frequency values around the expected quoted broadcast frequencies, I find there's a range of values near each target frequency for which I can get a signal. Outside the range, which in 4 out of 6 cases excludes the target itself, neither Transedit nor DVBViewer can find a signal.

Here are the detailed results:

Mux   Broadcast   Actual range over which a signal
  freq		can be found (all Freq in KHz)
1	 690000	  689851 - 690150
2	 746000	  746051 - 746300
A	 778000	  778051 - 778300
B	 802000	  802051 - 802300
C	 826000	  826051 - 826300
D	 730000	  729701 - 730000

Here's the .ini I ended up using to find all the muxes:

[SATTYPE]
1=5000
2=UK-PontopPike

[DVB]
0=6
1=690000,8
2=746176,8
3=778176,8
4=802176,8
5=826176,8
6=729850,8

Obviously this is only of use with PontopPike, but the range of values over which a signal is found & their distance from the quoted broadcast frequencies might help others solve this same problem for themselves.

It'd be good to know what the heck's going on here. I might post on uk.tech.digital-tv too.

Anyone got a clue?

• 7 months later...

Hope that someone can help me to get DVBViewer running with these

informations ( I live in France ):

TechniSat AirStar TeleStick T1 (Driver from TechniSat CD) :

MediaCenter Live TV : OK

DVBViewerPro : Can't find channels

Griga Version : Can't find channels

TransEdit : Can't find channels

MS XP MCE sp2

PC:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC