MS MCE Plugin? What do you think

The One

Hi all,

I use DVBViewer religiously for features and MS Media centre for usability. Would it not be possible to some how create a plug-in for MS MCE? Or an add in to use DVBViewer as a backend program while ms-mce does the front end? I would love to hear your opinions, has it been discussed?

Thanks

Guest Lars_MQ
I take it the answer is it will to much development?

Don't know.My answer meant: If you want it write it. I don't want/need it, I don't write it (and I think griga and christan agree with this, there are far more important things :bye: ).

indeed, honestly first i was scared about the competitor Microsoft with its MCE product but after a while testing i see this a bit easier. I really wonder what you like on the MCE, because except the animations it has not really more to offer. No real EPG based on the transmissions (ATSC or EIT), you need internet access in order to gather the informations you want. The only pro feature is that the skin looks better than the current one of the DVBViewer, but this will change.

samplea.jpg sampleb.jpg

Christian

Looks Great Christian

Thanks for the feedback and I 100% prefer DV over MSMCE feature wise no product can touch it.

However I have a background in IT for over 20 years and thinking universally the average joe that is not computer literate would find MSMCE a little easier using (only in my experience) and that was the only reason I thought I should suggest it.

@ Lars - As an amateur programmer I would not be up to the task I suppose you can not have everything you want.......... except Lars :bye:

Also having one of the most best and used htpc players around just thought you would be open to a constructive suggestion

Edited by The One

You are right, it is unluckily a fact that mce is easier to handle. Especially since it comes with a wizard which asks for things like: Where is your picture folder, and video folder etc.. If you are capable to handle com it is quite simple to build such a wizard as visual basic script of in an other preferred language (no matter if c#, c++, delphi etc). If there is somebody who would like to do this, i would be pleased ;)

Christian

Guest Lars_MQ

Of course...

For those who think that's too much work maybe christian and I will code such a thing and sell it as an addon for the DVBViewer for lets say 50 Eus (people who can afford an animated OSD without real tv functions for over 100 eus have for sure too much money to spend, so why shouldn't we take advantage of it ;) )

Maybe I would buy it.

I am happy with DVBViewer, but I am also happy with MCE. There is something about its easiness (even my wife can setup recordings). Yes, it has its issues, but so has DVBViewer.

As soon as there is native DVB-S support in MCE with CI, there will be no usage for DVBViewer in my HTPC. As this can be years ahead, yes maybe I would buy that plugin.

Just my $0.02

If you want to top MCE in usability you must include better remote control support for DV. Currently you can't even map two functions in a single key, even if they could never be executed simultaneously in the program. The list for supported remote controls is also awfully short if the remote can't emulate keyboard. The MCE at least comes with a remote of its own.

Hi all,

I use DVBViewer religiously for features and MS Media centre for usability. Would it not be possible to some how create a plug-in for MS MCE? Or an add in to use DVBViewer as a backend program while ms-mce does the front end? I would love to hear your opinions, has it been discussed?

Thanks

Well looks like MS won't have any native DVB-S|C support within upcoming MCE Versions:

Q: DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C support?

A: I honestly didn’t really know much about these standards and so I went and talked to our expert on them, got educated, and all we can say is that we won’t be supporting these in Windows Vista but they are standards that we are considering supporting in future releases.

http://mediacenter.mattgoyer.com/archives/date/2006/07/28/

A sales guy would call this a unique selling proposition :-)

I love DVBViewer but it would be a really cool feature (or call it unique selling proposition) to have DVBViewer embedded within MCE.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea with a plugin for WMC is very good, I had it too. In MyHTPC it was possible to use every Program as TV, in WMC you have to write a plugin I presume, is this right? I know that DVBViewer has a simple HTPC functionality, but many people like WMC's frontend and can't use it because of unsupported DVB-S.