Recording subtitles in MPEG

martin_skov

Hey!

I come from Denmark where we subtitle programmes.

It would be so great, if it was possible to records subtitles in the MPEG format.

The subtitles should then be "burned" into the picture of the MPEG file.

Will it be possible in a future version of DVBViewer?

DVBViewer is a masterpiece!

DVBViewer GE:

'Mit dem DVBViewer GE können Sie Sendungen mit Teletext-Untertiteln aufnehmen. Wählen Sie dazu im Aufnahme-Kontrollfenster das Format „Video/Audio/Teletext TS“. Für das Abspielen einer TS-Datei mit Untertiteln muss die Option „Einstellungen/ Optionen/ DirectShow/ DVBViewer Filter benutzen für TS Dateiwiedergabe“ aktiviert sein. Die Darstellung erfolgt genau wie bei Fernsehbetrieb über den OSD-Teletext.'

Guest Lars_MQ

Well Engelbert is a little confused it seems.

What he wanted to say: Use the TS format for recording, with the pro you can record the teletext and the DVBSubtitles (-> Options dialog).

What you want would need a recompression of the mpeg file, a no go for the DVBViewer. but there are surely tools which can do such thing when ou feed them the ts recording. Like always: Google is your friend... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Well Engelbert is a little confused it seems.

What he wanted to say: Use the TS format for recording, with the pro you can record the teletext and the DVBSubtitles (-> Options dialog).

What you want would need a recompression of the mpeg file, a no go for the DVBViewer. but there are surely tools which can do such thing when ou feed them the ts recording. Like always: Google is your friend... :excl:

Hello,

Yes, it works for Pro version and TXT pid's subtittle recording.

One of the solution (if it exist) is to convert TXT PID's sub to DVD format and then burn a DVD.

Does such a tool exist ?

Etienne

Here in Finland the programmes are subtitled, too.

The subtitles are not transmitted as teletext, but as DVB subtitles with multiple languages.

The Technisat Edition I'm using does not show nor record the subtitles.

My card is Cable Star 2.

Will the Pro version enable the subtitles and allow to choose the language?

If so, then:

1. will it identify the subtitle PID's automatically, or do I need to supply those manually?

2. will they be recorded, and if they will, will they be "burnt" into the picture, or will they be saved as separate subtitle files?

1. Yes it does find the subtitles dynamically and you can select the languages.

2. You can save as TS with the subtitles (DVBViewer takes care the subtitles are automatically added to the recording). You can playback TS with the subtitles with the DVBViewer, it will again detect them automatically.

I think you mean DVB-Subtitles:

dvbsubszr3.th.jpg

This has been discussed in so many posts here and yes it is detected automaticly and if you record your movies as .ts files you have them also inside.

Christian

Here in Finland the programmes are subtitled, too.

The subtitles are not transmitted as teletext, but as DVB subtitles with multiple languages.

The Technisat Edition I'm using does not show nor record the subtitles.

My card is Cable Star 2.

Will the Pro version enable the subtitles and allow to choose the language?

If so, then:

1. will it identify the subtitle PID's automatically, or do I need to supply those manually?

2. will they be recorded, and if they will, will they be "burnt" into the picture, or will they be saved as separate subtitle files?

Everything works fine with the pro version.

See instructions in Finnish in

http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showthread.php?t=42120

I think you mean DVB-Subtitles:

dvbsubszr3.th.jpg

This has been discussed in so many posts here and yes it is detected automaticly and if you record your movies as .ts files you have them also inside.

Christian

Fine to know it will work. I didn't find anything on this in the FAQ, though. Maybe time for an update ? Or, maybe I didn't read carefully enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Does timing of dvb subtitles work also? At least I get subtitles too early. Changing delay parameter has no effect at all.

There is in fact a small timing problem with the DVB-subs, which can not be resolved by adjusting the timing.

As a demo, it suffices to view a DVB-subtitled program (live or recording) simultaneously with DVBViewer and... say VLC. While the timing of the latter is perferct, the display time fluctuates quite drastically with DVBV (the subs are shown randomly withing a range +- 1 sec about the correct pts, and you can't resolve the fluctuation by adjusting the "delay").

Just a report... atm this is not a major problem to me.

Cheers.

yep, the problem is that the subtitles are not rendered via directshow and the decoder often buffer the stream. Which causes these gaps :)

Christian

I am not so familiar with DVB standards - but isn't there a time code in DVB subtitles stream?

My guess is that DVBViewer shows the subtitles when they are sent (the same way as teletext subtitles)

and ignores the timecode?

sure there is, otherwise you wont be able to sync audio and video. Usually directshow is keeping care about this, but in the case of the teletext, subtitle and the other parsing code we use our own - non directshow - solution in order to make sure that if the ds graph crashs at least recording etc. is still working like it should. And once you tried it - the delay is more than minimal.

Christian