Nvidia PureVideo hardware HD codec/tools.

txrx

Is it possible to use the Nvidia Decoder pack that utilises the Nvidia PureVideo chipset to decode HD?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

Am I being lame in not understanding that the card processes the image but the PC still has to decode it?

I've installed the tools but it's not showing as a viable codec in the prefs for h264 codec.

Please put me out of my misery!

;)

Note: There is a page which specifies which cards natively handle h.264 but purevideo decoder doesn't have any mention about HD as yet.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html - brags about HD

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html - says that even my lowly 6600gt has h.264 acceleration on it!

Edited by txrx
Guest Oliver

The skystar has no problems with HD.

Contrary to the NVIDIA web-site the puredecoder seemingly isn't compatible with h.264, at least noone managed to do it.

For h.264 you should use the Cyberlink 7 or CoreAVC Pro decoder

The skystar has no problems with HD.

Contrary to the NVIDIA web-site the puredecoder seemingly isn't compatible with h.264, at least noone managed to do it.

For h.264 you should use the Cyberlink 7 or CoreAVC Pro decoder

That's great news about the SS2 card, I can receive HD but it's v.choppy. Looks amazing, specially the BBC HD preview on Astra 28.2e. I an using the CoreAVC Pro decoder. Seems to be the quicker of the two, but as mentioned elsewhere on the forums, they are a software decoder as opposed to my optimistic nvidia hardware decoding solution.

Thanks, me thinks i'll read more on this area. I for one can't get the Nvidia decoder to appear in any H.264 codec list. Hope someone can though, that would be awesome.

That's great news about the SS2 card, I can receive HD but it's v.choppy. Looks amazing, specially the BBC HD preview on Astra 28.2e. I an using the CoreAVC Pro decoder. Seems to be the quicker of the two, but as mentioned elsewhere on the forums, they are a software decoder as opposed to my optimistic nvidia hardware decoding solution.

Thanks, me thinks i'll read more on this area. I for one can't get the Nvidia decoder to appear in any H.264 codec list. Hope someone can though, that would be awesome.

Hi,

Pure Video HD decoding is for different profile (See articles on DVB-S/2). You need CoreAVC for highprofile (as used by BBC HD with MBAFF) BUT Core AVC currently does not supprt hardware accelation OR multiple CPU. I can use DxVA functionality of Power DVD 7 decoder with 7600GT card. But I find the CoreAVC 1.1.5 is only marginally slower but has better deblocking. It is the MBAFF decoding which is the CPU killer and cannot as yet be handled by GPU.

Avtar

Well... there is PureVideo hardware engine from GeForce 6 onwards supporting hardware-accellerated MPEG-2, WMV and H.264/AVC .

Then there is nVIDIA's PureVideo DirectShow decoder making use of nVIDIA's PureVideo engine. Currently it only supports MPEG-2 via DXVA.

H.264/AVC decoding and DXVA2 is not yet supported.

Decoders like PowerDVD7 H.264/AVC which are already supporting DXVA2 can already make use of nVIDIA's PureVideo engine.

Then there is nVIDIA's PureVideo DirectShow decoder making use of nVIDIA's PureVideo engine. Currently it only supports MPEG-2 via DXVA.

H.264/AVC decoding and DXVA2 is not yet supported.

That's what I meant. I should have been a bit more elaborate. :bye: