Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB and Diseq 1.0

ramonchin

Hi!

I've bought a Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB and I've connected it to Eutelsat W3A and Astra 19.2 using a diseq 1.0 . With pinnacle media center I set Eutelsat in Position A and Astra in B... and I find a lot of channels, DVB-S2 channels included... But you know, PMC is a ....

So i'm playing with DVBViewer Pro...but after trying all the combinations possible (QUAM, 8PSK, DVB-S2...) I find a lot of channels from Hotbird! :bye: and almost anything from the 2 others, and of course no free HD channels.

I've tryed with an Astra transponder list in transedit and when it scan...nothing, is like no Astra dish were installed.

Is diseqc a problem with DVBViewer+Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB ??

Thank you.

..are you sure, your dish/lnbs is pointing to the wanted satellites?

yes. With pinnacle media center it can do it.

Edited by ramonchin
Is diseqc a problem with DVBViewer+Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB ??

Yes, it is. For two reasons:

- Microsoft didn't specify how to pass DiSEqC commands via the BDA interface, so every vendor is doing his own stuff in this respect.

- We asked Pinnacle to provide information how it is handled, but they refused, because they believe that their media center is sufficient for everyone. :bye:

However, we managed to hack it recently. :tongue: Unfortunately it is not implemented in DVBViewer Pro yet. So, what can you do?

First of all, scanning with TransEdit 3.0.1 (and the preview function) should work, because it's a very new version, and the Pinnacle fix is already inside. Try to make it work first. Make sure that the TransEdit version is 3.0.1 and that DiSEqC is set correctly for the Astra 19° East transponderlist.

Secondly, there is a way to configure DVBViewer GE 2.0.2 in a way that makes it work. Do the following:

- Download DVBViewer GE 2.0.2 from the members area. Read the ReadMe, install DVBViewer GE (you don't have to uninstall DVBViewer Pro)

- Launch it, in order to let DVBViewer GE detect the hardware, and close it.

- Open the file Setup.ini from the DVBViewer GE directory with a text editor (Notepad), scroll down to the [Hardware] section, and search the entry Vendor.x=0 for your Pinnacle USB, where x is the device number. It will be 0 if there is only one DVB device present.

- Change the entry to Vendor.x=3 and save the file. Now DVBViewer GE should be prepared to handle DiSEqC correctly.

- Use DVBViewer GE while waiting for a new DVBViewer Pro version.

Good luck!

P.S. Important link: http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13815

..sorry for asking a stupid question :jump: What @Griga is writing is of course absolutely right :tongue: I did some tests to help him finding the correct diseqc-settings for the pinnacle. But now I have connected the pinnacle directly to a lnb of movable dish and forgot that the pro doesn't support diseqc for this dvb-s2 card yet :bye:

Yes, it is. For two reasons:

- Microsoft didn't specify how to pass DiSEqC commands via the BDA interface, so every vendor is doing his own stuff in this respect.

- We asked Pinnacle to provide information how it is handled, but they refused, because they believe that their media center is sufficient for everyone. :bye:

However, we managed to hack it recently. :jump: Unfortunately it is not implemented in DVBViewer Pro yet. So, what can you do?

First of all, scanning with TransEdit 3.0.1 (and the preview function) should work, because it's a very new version, and the Pinnacle fix is already inside. Try to make it work first. Make sure that the TransEdit version is 3.0.1 and that DiSEqC is set correctly for the Astra 19° East transponderlist.

Secondly, there is a way to configure DVBViewer GE 2.0.2 in a way that makes it work. Do the following:

- Download DVBViewer GE 2.0.2 from the members area. Read the ReadMe, install DVBViewer GE (you don't have to uninstall DVBViewer Pro)

- Launch it, in order to let DVBViewer GE detect the hardware, and close it.

- Open the file Setup.ini from the DVBViewer GE directory with a text editor (Notepad), scroll down to the [Hardware] section, and search the entry Vendor.x=0 for your Pinnacle USB, where x is the device number. It will be 0 if there is only one DVB device present.

- Change the entry to Vendor.x=3 and save the file. Now DVBViewer GE should be prepared to handle DiSEqC correctly.

- Use DVBViewer GE while waiting for a new DVBViewer Pro version.

Good luck!

P.S. Important link: http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13815

Thany you! DVBViewer GE now is working, but no transedit 3.0.1 :tongue:

I can't scan in low frequencies with DVBViewer GE in order to search HD channels in eutelsat W3A ( 10880V 17360 3/4)... you know how do that?

Thank you

I can't scan in low frequencies with DVBViewer GE in order to search HD channels in eutelsat W3A ( 10880V 17360 3/4)... you know how do that?

add the transponder data to your list. Modulation: Auto, DVB-S2, it should appear in blue colour in the list.

..or use my feed-list :bye:

DVBViewer GE now is working, but no transedit 3.0.1

Did you replace an older TransEdit version by the new 3.0.1? If yes, perform a hardware detection with Settings -> Hardware -> Detect Devices.

Did you replace an older TransEdit version by the new 3.0.1? If yes, perform a hardware detection with Settings -> Hardware -> Detect Devices.

Ok, I'll try tomorrow...

On the other hand I've noticed a better picture quality using Renderer to Unchanged ,more contrast, etc...

Why is happenning this?

Thank you.

Edited by ramonchin
Ok, I'll try tomorrow...

On the other hand I've noticed a better picture quality using Renderer to Unchanged ,more contrast, etc...

Why is happenning this?

Thank you.

Great! It works now with Transedit 3.0.1

I've noticed that HD channels fail in full screen VMR mode (only a quarter showed :bye: ), but more natural colours than Overlay. I have nvidia 7600GT with latest drivers and purevideo. :bye:

I've noticed in DVBViewer GE that every channel I can watch has 100% green signal level (not real)... When are you going to launch a Pro version with full diseq compatibility on PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB? ;)

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry but I can't get it to work.

I installed the BDA-drivers from CD: Version 1.0.1.3

In the Hardware-Manager the PCTV SAT HDTV USB2 is shown.

Also in DVBViewer GE 2.02 it's shown in the Hardware-Tab. But there's always "can't initialize DVB-Hardware" (translated from german).

I tried to edit the ini-file:

Vendor.0=0 to Vendor.0=3

Also I tried to install the windows-fix WindowsXP-KB896626-v2-x86-DEU.exe

but all without success.

No need to edit the ini. GE 2.02 is pinnacle hdtv ready !

It isn't.

Current state:

- TransEdit 3.0.1 handles DiSEqC correctly after detecting the Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB

- DVBViewer GE 2.0.2 requires editing the Setup.ini to make DiSEqC work, as described above.

- DVBViewer Pro 3.5.0.10 was supposed to handle DiSEqC correctly, but it doesn't, due to "blind coding". The devs have no Pinnacle hardware for testing.

But there's always "can't initialize DVB-Hardware"

Indicates an error while initializing the device resp. connecting to it. Does it work with the Pinnacle software?

Does it work with the Pinnacle software?

I have a nlite-installation (windows xp pro sp2 fixed up to know) without Internet Explorer & Media Player.

The original software doesn't work because it requires some programs I think like IE.

I'll test this on another machine.

But iam wondering, because my Starbox runs without problems in that installation...

I recognized some things:

If I install the BDA driver from the CD, there comes another dialogue that I have to install another driver (see picture).

But the automatic detection function can't find the driver and I don't know what kind of driver need to install.

There's no hint in the (very, very short) manual.

Also I am wondering that the card isn't shown in the USB-Icon where I can safely cancel the USB-Hardware.

Perhaps somebody who has also the PCTV can give me a hint what kind of drivers are installed.

Edited by Xaver
- TransEdit 3.0.1 handles DiSEqC correctly after detecting the Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB

..sorry, that was the part I ment :) My card is connected to a single lnb.

Installing the original software is a pain in the neck. The BDA driver version seems to be correct (same as mine). Maybe something with the usb2 port or the cable ?

some screen shots:

Thank you! I think I got it:

your last screenshot.

The device you see in 3 "unbekanntes Gerät" must sthg. to do with the USB-Root Hub... I don't know!

But I haven't got this.

because my Starbox runs without problems in that installation...

Twinhan, isn't it? With BDA driver?

I have a nlite-installation

Maybe basic MS BDA components are missing. Check whether there is an MsDvbNp.ax in your Windows\System32 folder.

Twinhan, isn't it? With BDA driver?

No, with WDM-drivers...

Maybe basic MS BDA components are missing. Check whether there is an MsDvbNp.ax in your Windows\System32 folder.

Is there...

But it must be a usb-problem. I have installed all latest security patches until september...

No, i have also the USB-Root-Hub.

It's only another point of view in the device manager...

The problem must be only the missing driver-install (see pic 1 and 3).

If someone can post me what kind of drivers are installed after connecting the pctv, it would be helpful.

my last screen shot was a view from the device manager according to the connection of the devices (Geräte-Manager -> Ansicht -> Geräte nach Verbindung). There you'll have to look for your "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller"

Could this something to do with my low current laptop?

no, I don´t think so. My pinnacle is connected to a Dell laptop and the device is powered by the external plugin power supply.

..oops, you've already found it :)

With usb you'll never know. That's why I hate usb :) You could try to deinstall and re-install the pinnacle. You'll find the driver on the CD (PCTV 4XXe). You don't need anything else..

ps.

you shouldn´t edit the content of your posts afterwards. The causality will be lost..

• 5 months later...

I have a problem with PCTV Sat HDTV:

The lamp of the card is green but, when I scan the transponders, goes to yellow and no tuning.

With Pinnacle Media Center does not work either. Any idea?