Best NVIDIA setup - Help!

rosie

Hi, I'm really struggling getting a decent DVB-T picture on my HTPC. The main issue is fast sport like football etc. that is not worth watching at the moment. I'm using the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder but I can't figure out which settings that are best and I don't understand the overlap in settings in DVBViewer vs. the settings for the codec itself (when double clicking the NVIDIA icon that appears). The regedit EnablePropPage=1 option confuses me even more as it just turns on lots of new options for the codec. Can somebody provide a simple answer to what is the best NVIDIA setup? Thanks!

Hi, I'm really struggling getting a decent DVB-T picture on my HTPC. The main issue is fast sport like football etc. that is not worth watching at the moment. I'm using the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder but I can't figure out which settings that are best and I don't understand the overlap in settings in DVBViewer vs. the settings for the codec itself (when double clicking the NVIDIA icon that appears). The regedit EnablePropPage=1 option confuses me even more as it just turns on lots of new options for the codec. Can somebody provide a simple answer to what is the best NVIDIA setup? Thanks!

Hello,

I am not sure Nvidia codec is the best for watching sport contents in term of desinterlacing anyway.

Best I found with my Projector during Mondial was FFDShow>>desinterlacing>>TomsMocomp

Sharpen>>there are many choice you can try(swscaler for instance, chroma 0 luma 45).

Also, with 1280x720 you can try the resize: method: lanczos.

It's by far the best filter to get both 3D picture+nice desinterlacing; but the dark side is it is not very much DVBV friendly. Sometime one has to "rebuild graph" to get the picture as expected. Also, after chanel change, it takes some time to get the picture.

There are myriad of forums regarding this fabulous set of filters.

To get it work, just set to "auto" in DVBV video filter setting.

Be carrefull, all those nice features are rather CPU greedy depending upon the filters running.

I understand I propose something with fare more settings than NVidia filter too!

cheers

Edited by Trifon

With a nVIDIA GeForce 7600 and the PureVideo decoders you should theoretically come close to the optimum I would say (if there weren't so many nVIDIA bugs :) ). DXVA (hardware acceleration in PureVideo decoder) and VMR (can be selected in DVBViewer, dunno whether nVIDIA's hardare deinterlacing capabilities are being used with conventional Video Renderer or not) get the best out of it though you will run into problems with DVBViewer and the way it mixes OSD's with VMR (see yourself :( ).

Though the low bandwidth of DVB-t and a HD projector isn't the best combination ;) . Problems with fast moving sports events are common with DVB-t, even on a conventional PC screen (at least in Germany, where 4 audio/video streams have to fit in one channel/frequency).

It's not a too heavy task to get DVBViewer to work with ffdshow and understand the most important settings (e.g. using DScaler deinterlacing filters like Greedy or MoComp2). Though using libavcodec (is used for decoding MPEG-2 decoder in ffdshow besides other formats) and some filters is a heavy task for the CPU.

I have only managed to work with ffdshow when using it as MPEG-2 decoder (where you can use ffdshow's PostProcessing as well), but not as a PostProcessor only (with differnt decoder).

Edited by CiNcH
Best I found with my Projector during Mondial was FFDShow>>desinterlacing>>TomsMocomp

Sharpen>>there are many choice you can try(swscaler for instance, chroma 0 luma 45).

Also, with 1280x720 you can try the resize: method: lanczos.

Hello,

that is exactly what I try to do since months. Every time that I turn on ffdshow as post processor DVBViewer crashes. I tried so many versions of ffdshow, I stopped counting. Within Media Player Classic ffdshow works fine.

Can you please tell me which version of ffdshow do you use.

Kind regards.

Can anybody confirm that normal (LCD) TV's with a build in DVB-T tuner have the same issues with fast moving sports events?

With Hardware Acceleration and Deinterlacing turned on there shouldn't be any Problems with fast moving Sports. As CiNcH said it depends a lot on the Bandwith of the Channel, if it is too low you're getting block artefacts.

The Reason I turned away from Nvidia PureVideo Decoder to Cyberlink Decoder was the Slowmotion when watching Football. There were a kind of false Images getting in, hard to describe. It looked like the Scene moves on normally and every 5 Seconds there was a short Image that was 10 Seconds old, it just flickers in for a Millisecond and then the normal Scene went on. It makes me crazy and it just appears in Slowmotion, but I love watching Football so it was a Mess :) . If I turned off Hardware Acceleration the Problem was gone but the Picture Quality was crappy so I tried the Cyberlink Decoder and it has a much better Quality with Hardware Acceleration turned off and an equal Quality when HA turned on...

Cheereo

NeDrY

that is exactly what I try to do since months. Every time that I turn on ffdshow as post processor DVBViewer crashes. I tried so many versions of ffdshow, I stopped counting. Within Media Player Classic ffdshow works fine.

Do not use ffdshow as a PostProcessor! I could not figure out how to get it working myself.

Steps to get ffdshow working:

- goto ffdshow video decoder configuration

- under codecs you should select libavcodec or libmpeg2 for MPEG2

- start DVBViewer

- goto 'Settings' -> 'Options...' -> 'DirectX'

- For Post Processor choose <None>

- For MPEG2 Video Decoder select '<Auto>'

Now, ffdshow should be used. You have to find out for yourself which decoder is better, libav or libmpeg2 :) . Both are pretty CPU consuming.

Edited by CiNcH
Do not use ffdshow as a PostProcessor! I could not figure out how to get it working myself.

Steps to get ffdshow working:

- goto ffdshow video decoder configuration

- under codecs you should select libavcodec or libmpeg2 for MPEG2

- start DVBViewer

- goto 'Settings' -> 'Options...' -> 'DirectX'

- For Post Processor choose <None>

- For MPEG2 Video Decoder select '<Auto>'

Now, ffdshow should be used. You have to find out for yourself which decoder is better, libav or libmpeg2 ;) . Both are pretty CPU consuming.

I am not sure Postprocessing DVBV feature works at all!

That's the correct method.

Nevertherless, I observe the picture takes ages to appear after chanel change. I have not tried to make a graph using "connecting to remote graph" yet. That should be faster as DVBV has problem to connect FFDShow filters.

Some thoughts regarding sport content:

The relationship between the video filter in use and the graphic card throught the driver features is quite unpredictable!

Usualy, leaving all setting to "default" gives the best result. After that, you have to try different filters to find out wich one works the best so that to avoid the nasty 'combing effect".

Suggestion: Cyberlink Power DVD/ Intevideo WinDVD. They are available for trial.

Sometime, the filter bundled with the card software is not bad(Intervideo-Thechnotrend usualy for Hauppauge)

Cheers!

Edited by Trifon
  • 2 weeks later...
I am not sure Postprocessing DVBV feature works at all!

That's the correct method.

Nevertherless, I observe the picture takes ages to appear after chanel change. I have not tried to make a graph using "connecting to remote graph" yet. That should be faster as DVBV has problem to connect FFDShow filters.

Yes, I confirm that DVBViewer 3.5.0.22 is unable to use FFDShow postprocessing; I tried every possible combination of nvdia, cyberlink, elecard, Nero digital, intervideo mpeg2 decoders, but ffdshow does not start;

Within mediaplayer 10, ffdshow postprocessing works fine with each of above mentioned filter.

I hope our developers will solve this issue.

Regards

You have to build a custom graph with graphedit and call it in a special way (don't remember actually the right name). Then put it in the DVBViewer directory and you'll be able to use ffdshow as a postprocessor for other decoders. You can find all the infos here in the forum or in the archive...Try to search carefully the board and you will find something in the oldest posts.

The image quality with ffdshow grows a little bit, but not enough to let me drop the advantage of having lower CPU rates with HW acceleration on...

TomsMoComp is the best deintarlacer IMHO, but you can achieve the same results (or quite similar, if you like) with VMR Pixel deinterlace (HW acc on) of the PureVideo Decoder.

Lanczos rescaling gives me the same results of the bicubic HW rescaling made by my graphics card (Nvidia 6600 GT AGP), so that is not a real advantage for me...

EDIT: I remebered the special name for the graph: Call it dvbsource.grf and it will work.

http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?s...=graph+selector

Edited by Topogigi
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

More comments regarding Nvidia desinterlacing settings:

Nvidia codec: 4.0.20.0 picked up from "Mpeg2 decoders 2.08" codecs pack.

Settings: Smart+best available(I think they are default)

DXVA on as reported by filter property

I observed that the desinterlacing quality depends very much from, both the chanel format and the overall stream quality.

Yesterday, on the TNT(720x576 /chanel known for its quality), the foot ball match was perfect through my Projector. By far the best desinterlacing quality I could get. No artefacts at all.

I come to the conclusion the Nvidia codec, even with no NVidia graphic card(ATI X1300), is the best provided the chanel in question offers good quality.

On the opposite no DVD format i.e. 525x576 or chanels with low quality won't show good results. In that case FFDshow is less chanel format/quality dependent.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

I'm a newbie using the latest DVBV Pro - After upgrading the driver for my NVidia GeForce Go 6150 to 97.92 (from laptops2go) I got rid of a line and fuzzy screen problem but now I'm getting a jerkiness in the video that make the TV unwatchable. The audio is smooth. (Is this also called frame dropping?)

Even after reading lots of posts its not clear what settings I should be trying. I've seen information about codecs (coreavc, ffdshow, nvidia), interlace, overlays but before I proceed with buying or installing codecs and more and more random changes I'm asking for help. The CPU usage is around 30-40% and is mostly DVBV and nvsvc32 which seems normal.

Also the video is smooth when I use Media Center and the fake DVB-T mapper. (I've run DVBV with the mapper as a test with the same result) but I want to use DVBV with all its cool features!

AMDTurion64 Pavilion laptop

Technotrend S-2400

DVBV Pro 3.6.1.2

BDA 1.0.2.3 (though i just downloaded .4 from technotrend and will try)

Thanks, HenPen

support.zip

Edited by HenPen
I'm a newbie using the latest DVBV Pro - After upgrading the driver for my NVidia GeForce Go 6150 to 97.92 (from laptops2go) I got rid of a line and fuzzy screen problem but now I'm getting a jerkiness in the video that make the TV unwatchable. The audio is smooth. (Is this also called frame dropping?)

Even after reading lots of posts its not clear what settings I should be trying. I've seen information about codecs (coreavc, ffdshow, nvidia), interlace, overlays but before I proceed with buying or installing codecs and more and more random changes I'm asking for help. The CPU usage is around 30-40% and is mostly DVBV and nvsvc32 which seems normal.

Also the video is smooth when I use Media Center and the fake DVB-T mapper. (I've run DVBV with the mapper as a test with the same result) but I want to use DVBV with all its cool features!

AMDTurion64 Pavilion laptop

Technotrend S-2400

DVBV Pro 3.6.1.2

BDA 1.0.2.3 (though i just downloaded .4 from technotrend and will try)

Thanks, HenPen

Frame dropping affects both video and audio so it's prolly not the causing the problems but:

Download AC3filter. (http://ac3filter.net/)

Install ac3filter 1.11.

Start DVBViewer, go to the options.

Under directX settings:

Set audiocodec to AC3filter (yes, it can be used for plain stereo sources too)

Set AC3codec to AC3filter (for obvious reasons)

Set H264 codec : cyberlink powerDVD7 offers a good H264 decoder.

You are using overlay mode at this moment, switch the nvidiafix then off.

Test the VRM modes but enable then the nvidiafix cause it's ment for VRM.

Be sure that in the mpeg codec (powerDVD) hardware acceleration is enabled.

CPU use should float under 10%

What you can test outside DVBViewer: if you play a DVD with powerDVD, and you have no problems there

and cpu use is also acceptable, then your system should be able to perform better as it's doing now.

Note: playing a DVD is not the same as playing a DVB stream but the DVD play can reveal video problems.

Yep, the picture is much smoother now though the CPU is still higher than you say it should be - 45-65% or so.

DVBViewer is ~25-35% utilization

nvscvs is ~10% utilization

This are the settings:

Video Rendering = VMR9

MPEG2 Video Decoder = Cyberlink Video /SP Decoder

(this actually came with the HP laptop - I tried the PowerDVD trial version - with HW acceleration set - with no difference in CPU)

H.264 Video Decoder = greyed out

MPEG Audio Decoder = AC3Filter

MPEG AC3 Decoder = AC3Filter

NVidia VMR Fix = checked

I've also had a couple of computer freezes that aren't normal but maybe its the Technotrend s-2400/driver.

-HenPen

support.zip