"Prefered" hardware-device is not always used first?

abaader77

Hi

I have a Hauppauge NovaT 500 Dual tuner DVB-T card installed in my HTPC.

- I run DVBServer that uses tuner 2 as its device

- In DVBViewer, I have set in "Options" / "Hardware" tuner 1 to "prefered" device and Unicast device (DVBServer) to "normal".

The reason for this setup is because:

- I want to use my laptop as a TV-client that can watch any channel independently of the channel tuned in the HTPC.

- I want my HTPC to be able to record "channel 1" (via tuner 1 or the Unicast device) while watching "channel 2" (via tuner 1 or the Unicast device)

My problem is that the HTPC sometimes preferes to use the Unicast device while I just watch TV (only 1 tuner needed for this) and when this happens, my laptop TV-client can only display channels that are on the same frequency as the channel the HTPC is displaying... :-(

Instead, I would like my HTPC to use tuner 1 whenever possible and only use the unicast device when it's absolutly needed, like when recording a different channel?

Isn't this what the "prefered" option is used for? (The english manual doesn't cover this)

The rules are: First look for a device already using a tuner, if it fits take it, if not take a new device, preferred first. So your setup will never work the way you want it.

What you need to do: 2 dvbserver running on different ports (and of course from different directories) each for a device. Two unicast devices in each client (locally and remote). You can create more unicast devices by editing your usermode.ini. Simply add:

[Card]
Unicast=2

then start DVBViewer go to options->Hardware and search for new devices.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread partly relates to my current and only problem with DVBViewer.

Do I have some setting wrong when the following is my device list?

- Technotrend dvb-t card with cam, "has ci module" selected and status normal in DVBViewer hardware options.

- Hauppauge hvr-1300 without cam, no "has ci module" selected and status also normal in hardware options.

Problem:

When starting DVBViewer, Technotrend is selected for use and it views all channels 100% ok, both encrypted and free. Problem comes when I start to record some free channel. TT is locked to that mux and encrypted channels cannot be seen anymore. (Free channels work with Hauppauge of course)

If I change settings so that Hauppauge is preferred device, technotrend doesn't get selected and I can't watch encrypted channels because DVBViewer tries to show them with hauppauge. If I start to record some free channel with Hauppauge, encrypted channels work again... so what could solve this little annoyance?

Guest Lars_MQ
I can't watch encrypted channels because DVBViewer tries to show them with hauppauge

This shouldn't be possible, if the has Ci ist not selected for the card and of course the channels in your setup have to be marked as encrypted. maybe an update channelscan does help?

This shouldn't be possible, if the has Ci ist not selected for the card and of course the channels in your setup have to be marked as encrypted. maybe an update channelscan does help?

Hello and thanks for the tip, channel scan solved the problem! In the channellist they were already marked encrypted but when trying to change them, they turned unencrypted and couln't be changed to encrypted again. After deleting them and scanning, they came back 'really' encrypted and dvb-t card selecting started working perfectly! :)