Best image quality / upscalling on SD channels

migas

Hi,

I have TT-budget S2-3200 card and DVBViewer 3.5. I’d like to know your perspective on how to get the best possible image quality (specially on SD channels) with TT-budget S2-3200 and DVBViewer 3.5. What is the best config, deinterlace options and video driver options?

Is there any way to upscale the picture on SD channels, say, from 576i to 720p, through DVBViewer options or video driver options?

I think the current SD quality I’m getting with the “standard” options on DVBViewer and Nvidia driver is reasonable to poor. When I say “poor” I’m comparing the image quality I get on the PC through the DVI cable to an HD plasma, with the image quality I get from a Sky digibox for SD TV, or DVD through component, in the same HD plasma.

I find the Sky Digibox picture (through Scart RGB) or the DVD picture (through component) much more detailed and sharp then the current image quality I’m getting from the PC on SD channels with the DVI cable.

Please share with us what are the best options for the best possible image quality on SD channels in terms of DVBViewer configuration / video drivers / maybe deinterlace options configuration.

I have a PC with ASUS M2NPV-VM

AMD Athlon64 X2 DualCore 3800+

1 GB DDR 2 RAM

TT-budget S2-3200

DVBViewer 3.5

I learned that to do good upscaling you must install a Nvidia driver like purevideo (works with 6150 chipset), and a software like FFDShow.

Can anyone share experience about the best settings for PureVideo and FFDShow to deinterlace and upscale standard live TV to live HDTV?

• 2 years later...
I learned that to do good upscaling you must install a Nvidia driver like purevideo (works with 6150 chipset), and a software like FFDShow.

Can anyone share experience about the best settings for PureVideo and FFDShow to deinterlace and upscale standard live TV to live HDTV?

I think Lancoz-resizing with FFDShow does the trick, i have been playing with additional post-processing but the results vary greatly depending on source quality, so if you dont want to be tweaking the settings for every show individually(like i do with dvd's) i would stay easy on post-prosessing beyond resize and possibly de-interlace.

I recommend that you record something and then play it in zoomplayer while adjusting FFDshow, zoomplayer allows you to see the tweaking real-time.